Big Debate: Rotisserie or Head-Head - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Big Debate: Rotisserie or Head-Head

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wkelly91 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:50 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
wkelly91 wrote:I used to play only H2H...but three years ago took a stab at Roto. I must say that I now am sold on Roto! ;-D

H2H is great for talking smack but there is a lot of luck to winning it all. It takes skill to get there...but luck in the playoffs.

Roto is much more challenging as far as managing a team. I stll play H2H for fun but Roto is it ;-D

Kelly! Good lord, it's been a long time since I've seen you post!!

I missed that peeping eye of yours so much... :-b

Well thanks for noticing! Good to see you as weel. I have been battling on political sites for a while and have not been around. But baseball takes priority over politics...so here I am! ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:54 pm

wkelly91 wrote: baseball takes priority over politics...so here I am! ;-D

Amen!
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby wkelly91 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:55 pm

You've never heard of daily H2H leagues?

No, never played that type....yet it still seems more like a football season than a baseball season:-?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:58 pm

wkelly91 wrote:
You've never heard of daily H2H leagues?

No, never played that type....yet it still seems more like a football season than a baseball season:-?

All the fun of daily transactions with all the goodness of H2H results. It's like a mini-roto season squished into one week.

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Big Debate: Rotisserie or Head-Head

Postby kemper5 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:05 pm

Here is my 2 cents.. Ive played HTH the last 2 years with success and am switching back to Roto.. Even though I won the Championship ($1500) this last year and went 18-3 the prior year, Im not as big of a fan of HTH because this last year I barely squeeked into the playoffs (8th and last seed) and won out beating a 17 game winner and a 15 game winner and were they fuming ;-D .. 2 Years ago I crushed people going 18-3 during the regular season and got destroyed by a 11 win team in the 1st round :~( .. So basically in HTH anything can happen from week to week, you never know..
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby noseeum » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:05 pm

wkelly91 wrote:I hear the term "reality" used all the time in conjunction with H2H. While the weekly battles can enfuse fun and emotion into the hunt for that weeks win against an apponent...I think in "reality" that the competion becomes more like a football season than baseball.

A baseball manager has to prepare every day, adjust his team based upon a 162 game schedule with many ups and downs. H2H with a weekly schedule and a season of 20+ games has the excitement of a NFL football schedule and not the long haul of a baseball season.

That is why I have become hooked on Roto...because I feel more like the manager preparing and agonizing over my team for 162 games...not 25. :-)

I disagree completely. Quite often in roto leagues, the bottom teams are out of it, which makes it easier for the top teams to keep on winning. Then too they can build a huge lead that can't be beat even if their team deteriorates. A winning roto team would often get crushed by his opponents if you took their rosters at the end of the season.

I like that head to head requires your team to be good every week. Even if you have a five game lead, if your top player gets hurt you have to work out a deal ASAP to have a chance to win. There's no ability to coast in that last month.

A competitive roto league is different when it's close, but in my experience, it's rare you don't have at least a few teams throwing in the towel in a roto league.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wkelly91 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:15 pm

I have played H2H for seven years and like it....but since I started Roto three years ago...that has taken priority.

Roto teams can fall out of it for whatever reason, but I have seen lower tier guys battle back to the top. It is realistic to expect some teams to fall out of it, but you have incentives to keep people involved. Additionally, if you have keepers the lower tier teams can remain in play through making deals that will effect the season and prepare for the future...just as real baseball teams do. B-)
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Big Debate: Rotisserie or Head-Head

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:16 pm

kemper5 wrote:Here is my 2 cents.. Ive played HTH the last 2 years with success and am switching back to Roto.. Even though I won the Championship ($1500) this last year and went 18-3 the prior year, Im not as big of a fan of HTH because this last year I barely squeeked into the playoffs (8th and last seed) and won out beating a 17 game winner and a 15 game winner and were they fuming ;-D .. 2 Years ago I crushed people going 18-3 during the regular season and got destroyed by a 11 win team in the 1st round :~( .. So basically in HTH anything can happen from week to week, you never know..

Man, the Cardinals winning the World Series must have irritated you to no end.

:-b
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wkelly91 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:27 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
kemper5 wrote:Here is my 2 cents.. Ive played HTH the last 2 years with success and am switching back to Roto.. Even though I won the Championship ($1500) this last year and went 18-3 the prior year, Im not as big of a fan of HTH because this last year I barely squeeked into the playoffs (8th and last seed) and won out beating a 17 game winner and a 15 game winner and were they fuming ;-D .. 2 Years ago I crushed people going 18-3 during the regular season and got destroyed by a 11 win team in the 1st round :~( .. So basically in HTH anything can happen from week to week, you never know..

Speaking of Cardinals...will Duncan play every day? What numbers you have for him this year?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:30 pm

StlSluggers wrote:

I would have felt sorry for the Tigers if the Cards had won because LaRussa got 8 starts out of his pitchers due to lucky timing and Leyland only got 4.

Then again if the Tigers had gotten fewer starts from their pitchers in the Series they might have actually done better. That would have saved at least 5 or 6 Unearned Runs.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner