Big Debate: Rotisserie or Head-Head - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Big Debate: Rotisserie or Head-Head

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:24 am

As others have said, it is preference.

H2H-
Pros: More teams with chance at title at end of year (usually) such that less chance of "dead" teams. More "realistic" playoff format. Weekly "match-ups", which a lot of people like.

Cons: More luck involved in deciding champion (all fantasy has luck) such that there is a greater chance the league champion is not the team that had the best overall numbers.

Roto-
Just flip the pros and cons.

When I play for money, I only play roto as I have the choice (as opposed to fantasy football) since I want to minimize the impact of luck. But if you are playing for fun, just have a vote as to what the league wants.

The overall key is playing a fantasy format you enjoy. I have a great enjoyment of baseball, in part due to fantasy. Hopefully you will as well.

BTW, making the league a keeper league will give the weaker teams more incentive to stay involved later into the year as they try to get better for next year.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Ender » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:14 pm

In our casual friends league we do H2H and I love it, having the weekly matchups makes it a lot more fun than Roto.

In any serious league or money league I prefer Roto. H2H simply has too much luck involved. I would also never want to be in a competitive/money league that had a playoff at the end of the year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Yoda » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:35 pm

H2H all the way. Way more action and more teams stay in it throughout the season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:42 pm

I used to play only H2H...but three years ago took a stab at Roto. I must say that I now am sold on Roto! ;-D

H2H is great for talking smack but there is a lot of luck to winning it all. It takes skill to get there...but luck in the playoffs.

Roto is much more challenging as far as managing a team. I stll play H2H for fun but Roto is it ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Deuce » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:00 pm

Zito is God wrote:Umm...if you search the forum you will see topics about this that go 5+ pages. This battle is endless and ultimately it's whatever you prefer.

I personally hate Rto because its drafting and then sitting around. I play exclusively H2H. Many many others will agree, many many others will disagree.

I agree here.
One of the reasons given for liking roto is that you can have a bad week in the playoffs. That happens in H2H weekly and during the playoffs. It even happens in reality. This should be taken into account during the season.
How did owners handle Pedro Martinez in roto last year. I can imagine he was drafted as one of the early pitchers, but was not available down the stretch when needed.

H2H ALL DAY.
Isn't that how they play in reality. With the accumulative wins and losses determining who makes the playoffs.
In Roto, one team can take off early and never be caught. In H2H, you have another chance to catchup playoff time. The early lead means nothing. Gotta play all year.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Deuce » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:07 pm

In a league like yours that is so close knit, I would think you'd want H2H, simply for the weekly bragging rights.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mak1277 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:34 pm

Deuce wrote:
In Roto, one team can take off early and never be caught. In H2H, you have another chance to catchup playoff time. The early lead means nothing. Gotta play all year.

This is a very overused argument against roto in my mind. In my main league last year, the eventual winner was in 5th place, something like 25 points behind the leader at the All-Star break. He didn't overtake the leader until the last week of the season, which went back and forth every day until the season ended.

There are also plenty of rule tweaks that can be used to keep teams interested all year in a roto league. Two I've seen:

1) the team that gains the most points from the All-Star break to the season end gets some of the money payout.

2) the overall pool of money is funded based on your finish in the league. In other words, you pay more if you finish last than if you finish 3rd to last.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:38 pm

wkelly91 wrote:I used to play only H2H...but three years ago took a stab at Roto. I must say that I now am sold on Roto! ;-D

H2H is great for talking smack but there is a lot of luck to winning it all. It takes skill to get there...but luck in the playoffs.

Roto is much more challenging as far as managing a team. I stll play H2H for fun but Roto is it ;-D

Kelly! Good lord, it's been a long time since I've seen you post!!

I missed that peeping eye of yours so much... :-b
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby wkelly91 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:47 pm

Deuce wrote:
Zito is God wrote:Umm...if you search the forum you will see topics about this that go 5+ pages. This battle is endless and ultimately it's whatever you prefer.

I personally hate Rto because its drafting and then sitting around. I play exclusively H2H. Many many others will agree, many many others will disagree.

I agree here.
One of the reasons given for liking roto is that you can have a bad week in the playoffs. That happens in H2H weekly and during the playoffs. It even happens in reality. This should be taken into account during the season.
How did owners handle Pedro Martinez in roto last year. I can imagine he was drafted as one of the early pitchers, but was not available down the stretch when needed.

H2H ALL DAY.
Isn't that how they play in reality. With the accumulative wins and losses determining who makes the playoffs.

I hear the term "reality" used all the time in conjunction with H2H. While the weekly battles can enfuse fun and emotion into the hunt for that weeks win against an apponent...I think in "reality" that the competion becomes more like a football season than baseball.

A baseball manager has to prepare every day, adjust his team based upon a 162 game schedule with many ups and downs. H2H with a weekly schedule and a season of 20+ games has the excitement of a NFL football schedule and not the long haul of a baseball season.

That is why I have become hooked on Roto...because I feel more like the manager preparing and agonizing over my team for 162 games...not 25. :-)
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:50 pm

wkelly91 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

I agree here.

H2H ALL DAY.

I hear the term "reality" used all the time in conjunction with H2H. While the weekly battles can enfuse fun and emotion into the hunt for that weeks win against an apponent...I think in "reality" that the competion becomes more like a football season than baseball.

A baseball manager has to prepare every day, adjust his team based upon a 162 game schedule with many ups and downs. H2H with a weekly schedule and a season of 20+ games has the excitement of a NFL football schedule and not the long haul of a baseball season.

That is why I have become hooked on Roto...because I feel more like the manager preparing and agonizing over my team for 162 games...not 25. :-)

You've never heard of daily H2H leagues?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner