Big Debate: Rotisserie or Head-Head - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Big Debate: Rotisserie or Head-Head

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:16 pm

I say Roto. I think it is unfair for a team to get like 10 losses because one or two of their pitchers have a bad outing in a week, just like it is unfair for a team to have a ridculous amount of HR's, and have it all be for naught since the other team had 1 more. I actually think Roto is just as fun as H2H, and it makes bragging rights easier to use, since the best team wins basically every time.
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FalcoAtL » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:19 pm

Zito is God wrote:Umm...if you search the forum you will see topics about this that go 5+ pages. This battle is endless and ultimately it's whatever you prefer.

I personally hate Rto because its drafting and then sitting around. I play exclusively H2H. Many many others will agree, many many others will disagree.

Agreed, just your preference really...
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby orange12 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:32 pm

If your playing with friends you meet often or know well, do yourself a favor and stay with H2H. I use to be a Roto-only guy for a long time but recently I've play in a couple of H2H leagues (baseball and basketball) with some old high school buddies and I can tell you, the fact that its one on one makes the entire league so much more livelier. Since your all seniors, you might even consider a keeper league. When your all off to college next year, the league will keep your old buddies together.
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby grammysboy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:35 pm

I played both last season and will do the same this year. I really enjoy both. Thank goodness I've got a couple of leagues that don't charge huge fees to play.

If you've got that many high school buddies who are in to fantasy baseball, put two leagues together. If you really want to spice it up, have one be a "snake draft" league and the other an auction.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Denmarch » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:40 pm

I don't see this pro-H2H argument mentioned, so I'll go ahead and mention it: Head-to-Head tries to mirror the two-sided competition of real baseball. It feels like active competition, rather than the gradual amassing of statistics.

Real baseball isn't just about who has the "best team," but who has the best team on any given day, and it is affected by a laundry list of external factors (weather, day-to-day injuries, slumps, attitudes, call-ups and send-downs) that influence team victory and defeat on purpose or by accident.

Do you activate a Vlad Guerrero listed as day-to-day for the upcoming scoring period? Such a dilemma involves enough risk to engage the player-for-fun and enough Cost-Benefit Analysis to statistfy the most strategy- and number-enamored player.
Denmarch
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cannonarm21 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:51 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:Oh God, not this again.

It's the kid's second post, take it easy.

How can a newcomer know or search for everything that may have been discussed?
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:18 am

As has been said, it's as simple as polling all 12 members of your league and asking which they prefer, and majority rules.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

Postby RyanK » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:01 am

Im a H2H guy, mostly because I started off playing Fantasy Football.

Ive dabbled in Roto but just seem to enjoy H2H more.

Its a personal preferance so as said poll the league
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Seanyfever » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:14 am

In our league, we play a little bit of both. There is a roto champion and a H2H champion in one league. It keeps guys playing until teh end instead of being stuck at the end of the roto.

In four years, the roto winner has won H2H only once. We have the playoffs and the hot team usually wins the H2H playoffs. Still, the money gets spread around and we have fun.

Our league is predominantly guys from the same area that played ball together. It is our way to stay in touch and gab baseball. We throw in $40 a piece and the cash gets moved around a lot. The worse is to finish last in H2H. That cost you a 24! Second last cost you a 12.

Play both!
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 290)

Postby ukrneal » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:35 am

Based on what you said, I might suggest tinkering a bit with the categories to add some additional strategy on the H2H side. Perhaps you just need to add a bit of something new to it to keep it interesting.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner