Rangers Release another Pitcher - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Texas Rangers

Rangers Release another Pitcher

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rangers Release another Pitcher

Postby Mad'sWife » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:19 am

Looks like the Rangers are releasing another pitcher.

Mounce signs with Yakult Swallows
By Jesse Sanchez / MLB.com

Tony Mounce (right) was 1-5 with a 7.11 ERA in 11 starts with the Rangers in 2003. (Ben Margot/AP)

ARLINGTON -- Left-handed pitcher Tony Mounce is heading eastbound.
Way East, as in Far East.

On Thursday, the Rangers unconditionally released the pitcher so he can play in the Japanese Professional Baseball League. Mounce will play for two years for the Yakult Swallows.

"It was an agreement we made and I'm ecstatic about it," Mounce said from his home in Louisiana. "We are extremely excited. It's a great opportunity economically, and I'm looking forward to going over there and enjoying the culture and getting better as pitcher. Japan has good baseball and I can't wait to play there."

Mounce was 1-5 with a 7.11 ERA in 11 starts with the Rangers in 2003. He joined the club on June 13 and went 1-4 with a 6.38 ERA in eight starts before being sent to Triple-A Oklahoma City on July 23.

He rejoined the Rangers on September 8 and was 0-1 with a 9.00 ERA in three starts the rest of the season. His only Major League victory came on July 3 at Anaheim.

"I'm not disappointed with the way it all turned out," Mounce said. "I can always come back. I'm definitely going to miss playing for Texas. The guys and the coaches were great, but this is a great opportunity for me and my family."

Mounce was 7-1 with a 1.43 ERA in nine games/seven starts at Double-A Frisco and 2-4 with a 3.39 ERA in 11 starts with the Red Hawks this season.

The Rangers now have 33 players on the Major League roster, not including the seven players on the 60-day disabled list.

Mad'sWife
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Texas Rangers