This kid has to move out of CHC right? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

This kid has to move out of CHC right?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:00 pm

Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: This kid has to move out of CHC right?

Postby LBJackal » Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:03 am

Transmogrifier wrote:
wrveres wrote:I now believe in curse's ... I really do. .. How can I get one? anybody? I need one for some guys up the road in blue. :-)

I think it's not so much the curse, but the weight of the fans' belief of the curse. The Sox have been able to avoid the weight of it, until recently.

That's exactly what a curse is...it's a mental factor that people keep in the back of their head, and use for an excuse to lose. Anybody who believes a curse has actual powers over how players perform belongs in the luney bin. That would be like Angels in the Outfield - in real life. Come on now...

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:56 am

DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:50 am

I feel so sorry for this guy, I mean it wasnt his fault, it was the team who blew it. 99 out of a hundred fans would've reached for the foul ball. This guy is getting way too much heat for the incident. I really do feel sorry for him, and hope that his life returns back to normal. Is there any news on him? Is his house still being guarded? I just feel bad for this guy, I hope the tormenting stops.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:24 am

Little Leaguer's to the rescue!

Little Leaguers rally in support of maligned Cubs fan

October 18, 2003
NORTHBROOK, Ill. (AP) -- The youth baseball team coached by the Cubs fan who tried to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the NL championship series rallied in a park near his house Saturday.

Twenty past and present members of the team of 13 and 14-year-olds coached by Steve Bartman, carried signs to express their support.

With the Cubs five outs from their first World Series last Tuesday night, Bartman got in the way of outfielder Moises Alou as he was trying to catch a fly in the stands along the left-field line.

After the near-miss, the Cubs fell apart, blowing a 3-0 lead and losing 8-3. They also lost Game 7 to the Marlins 9-6.

``A lot of the parents and kids wanted to do something so we decided to have a rally,'' said organizer and fellow coach Jeff Siegel.

``Steve's in a lot better spirits and he's grateful for the support,'' said Siegel, who said he talked to Bartman on Saturday but wouldn't reveal his whereabouts. ``He's trying to get his life back together.''

Updated on Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 8:58 pm EDT

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Arlo » Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:58 am

Never, ever, underestimate the power of little leaguers! :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:42 am

Arlo wrote:Never, ever, underestimate the power of little leaguers! :-D

Lol. :*)
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:16 pm

DK wrote:
Arlo wrote:Never, ever, underestimate the power of little leaguers! :-D

Lol. :*)

Lol. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: My Two Cents

Postby tal1286 » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:58 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:First of all, shame on the media for not helping this kid's well being. A Chicago newspaper actually posted this guys vital statistics, home, and work address. That's just morally wrong.

Second, the Cubs blew it for themselves. Any Cubs "fan" who points a finger at this guy isn't truly a fan. I'll say it again, the Cubs blew this whole thing with little help from a fan in the stands. Just like Buckner didn't blow the series for the Red Sox in 1986. It was a team effort and the kid is just a scapegoat.

Also, it's the fan's right to try to catch that ball. Hell, there were like eight fans putting their gloves out to try to catch that ball. Singling this one guy out is ridiculous. All of those fans had every right to try to snag that ball. Getting caught up in the moment is easy to do, especially when a foul ball is coming your way. It's not like the fan reached over the railing to catch it. The ball landed right in his seating area.

Remember, this is a game people. Not life and death. This kid is being wrongfully scapegoated and the media should be ashamed of themselves for only fueling the fire.

agree with the first part. not so much with the second part. thats ridiculous. anyone who watched the game knew that after that fan blocked the ball, on accident (i've gotten over my murderous rage), the cubs had no shot at winning the series. you could hear a pin drop if it weren't for the chanting of asshole, asshole. yes, maybe the cubs did it to themselves afterward but you are stupid if you don't believe that a man on second with 2 outs and all the momentum is a lot different than 1st and 3rd with 1 out and 0 momentum!

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:46 pm

The Cubs blew it. To even blame a fan 1% is wrong. One, a foul ball is fans territory. Two, Prior could have retired the hitter, but he didnt. Third, Gonzalez booted a easy dp. Four, yhey could have won game 7. Shame on you Cub fans.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers