I was at the Brawl in Boston Saturday night... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I was at the Brawl in Boston Saturday night...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I was at the Brawl in Boston Saturday night...

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:32 am

I was in the right field grandstands, and here's my take:

1) I'm not sure if Pedro was going at Garcia. If he was, he's a moron, because the mood of the whole stadium was panic. Pedro was not pitching well, and he loads the bases like that? Since he didn't have good stuff, I doubt he was going after Garcia. However, he may have been; but we should note he didn't throw AT Garcia's head. It only came close to Garcia's head because instead of backing away, he ducked. If Garcia stayed in the box, it would have hit him in the side (or the back if he turned).

2) I don't fault Garcia at all for the hard slide, although he went a bit out of his way...

3) Manny is an idiot. That ball was high, and no where near a beanball. He should have tried to get a hit instead of flinching every pitch.

4) What was Pedro to do? All these people saying that Pedro should have just sidestepped Zimm because Zimm is old are morons. Please, people!!! Check out this video: rtsp://necn.mirror-image.com/media/vide ... dro_12p.rm

Then tell me that Pedro had time to take care of himself and think--hey, this old man running all the way across the field to hit me should be handled carefully. No. Pedro was nice to Zimm.

5) Pedro is becoming Rocket of old--classless. Rocket--who I HATE -- is usually the guy to make an ass of himself, throwing at Piazza, throwing a BAT at Piazza, etc. But Clemens kept his composure.

6) I don't know what was said, but it sure looked to me like Pedro was threatening to bean Posada. Embarrassing.

7) Nelson started it. Sure, the guy shouldn't have been waving a towel--and I noticed this, actually (we were in the rightfield granstands)--but that's no reason to beat up the guy. I was SHOCKED to see Garcia hop the fence and get into the melee. And--suprisingly this hasn't been reported much--but Posada ran all the way from his position out to the bullpen to join in, only to be turned away. Sad, sad day.

8) This didn't make the Sox look bad, alone. It didn't make the Yankees look bad, alone. Both teams took huge hits. Sad day for baseball.

9) This crap about the fans creating a violent atmosphere is BS. Yes, Red Sox fans--as well as Yanks fans--are diehards (I drove 12 hours from DC to Boston Friday to wait in line for 14 hours for tickets...), but we're not bad people. We yell, chant Ro-ger, but do not wish violence. I was booing the bullpen attendent because it first appeared to me that someone jumped in to the pen and started a fight-- a la Chicago-- but later realized who it was. The fans were passionate, loud, but there were no fan arrests made that night.

10) I was standing in the bleachers, dead center field at 7:45 Sunday night when that game was canceled... unfortunately I had to give my ticket to a friend.

Anyway, in summary, it was a bad night for both teams.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:22 am

Sorry to hear that you missed out due to the rainout Trans. :,-(
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:55 am

Madison wrote:Sorry to hear that you missed out due to the rainout Trans. :,-(

You're telling me. I was pissed, 'cause I had to drive back to DC yesterday. I almost quit my job to stay in Boston, but I figure I can use the money to buy WS tix later on. :-D
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:33 am

Transmogrifier wrote:

You're telling me. I was pissed, 'cause I had to drive back to DC yesterday. I almost quit my job to stay in Boston, but I figure I can use the money to buy WS tix later on. :-D

all the better....

so you are gonna drive up to NY?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Arlo » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:53 am

Interesting point about Posada - I hadn't seen that. In his defense, though, he may have thought a fan had jumped the fence and attacked his teammates. At any rate, not a good situation...

Sorry you missed the next game! :~(
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:48 am

wrveres wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:

all the better....

so you are gonna drive up to NY?

Actually, my brother, who lives in NYC has a ticket for me, but I just can't make it. Perhaps Game 7, if we can pull it out tonight. :-D

And, yeah, Arlo, perhaps Posada wanted to defend his teammate, but at that point they were all hammering the guy. How many more people are needed to beat a guy into submission?

Lastly, regarding the fans, here's a great quote from Wells:

"I think this is a great town," said Wells. "It's unbelievable. It's fun. We're driving home last night to the hotel and every block, everybody is flipping us off. I wish I had a video camera. I've never seen anything like it."
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:12 am

Good luck on getting to go to game 7! That quote is great. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:35 am

eftda wrote:oh well, you will be able to go to game 1,2,6,7 in the World Series

You're assuming we'll beat the Yanks twice?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DK » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:50 pm

well, they're one away from...
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero