Much ado about nothing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Much ado about nothing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Much ado about nothing

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:45 am

The whole brawl thing. Way overblown, and very insignificant in the context of Iraq and the economy. No one was really hurt. Zimm had a bandaid, the employee a few cleat marks. Great news for Fox. Ratings will now increase. Some have posted a terrible day for bb. I disagree. Interest for Game 4 is all over. The brawl is all over the talk shows, where bb never goes. Whats a Boston NY series without some emotion? Its not like the Marichal took a bat to Roseboro incident. Who says they play only for $? If you missed game 3, you missed passion. There was not green involved there. The hysteria is drawing the non fan to at least now pay attention.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby PresHabib » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:12 am

Though correct, I hesitate to begin comparing this incident to incidents in Iraq. Overall though, very well said...the incident wasn't pretty, but this was definitely passion.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby trevisc » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:32 am

it's nice to see teams get fired up in baseball. There needs to be more respect for pitchers like clemens and pedro who aren't afraid to get you off the plate. It's not like he wasn't wearing a helmet. Sosa got dinged twice in the head this year and he's still half way sane!

lol
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:58 am

Ratings were already up, but this should have raised them even higher.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:40 am

I was at that game, and in my relatively short life, I have not had a baseball experience like that.

It was a AWESOME game, and the Sox lost. The crowd was crazy. I took my dad with me, and he said he never saw anything like that before, and he's been around awhile.

The crowd was loud, and stood nearly the whole game. It was baseball at its best, save the incidents. Some great October baseball.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby EugeneStyles » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:46 am

Some people just like to get all huffy about silly things. "I have lost all respect for Pedro *and* the Yankees." Whatever. It's just a brawl. Brawls happen, and sometimes they're funny, like the guy that charged Farnsworth earlier in the year.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:27 am

EugeneStyles wrote:Some people just like to get all huffy about silly things. "I have lost all respect for Pedro *and* the Yankees." Whatever. It's just a brawl. Brawls happen, and sometimes they're funny, like the guy that charged Farnsworth earlier in the year.

I remember that. Farnsworth tackled the guy. Great stuff. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:40 am

Here's an article about the increased ratings:

Ratings keep increasing for baseball playoffs

October 13, 2003
NEW YORK (AP) -- The heated rivalry between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, and the feel-good stories of the Chicago Cubs and Florida Marlins translated to increased playoff ratings over the weekend.

Through Sunday, the average ratings for the league championship series games are up more than 50 percent from last year's. It is on pace to be the most-watched postseason since 1995, with an average audience of 16.5 million.

Fox's ratings for the entire postseason are currently up 34 percent.

Chicago's extra-inning victory over Florida in Game 3 of the NLCS on Friday night received a 9.3 national rating and 18 share for Fox Sports, up 45 percent from last year's Game 3 telecast of the ALCS between Minnesota and Anaheim.

It was Fox's best rating ever for a championship series game on a Friday, and the best for any network since Game 3 of the 1999 NLCS between the New York Mets and Atlanta Braves on NBC received a 10.8 with a 20 share.

A ratings point on Fox represents 1,067,000 households, or 1 percent of the nation's estimated 106.7 million TV homes.

The weekend games also received strong overnight ratings for Fox, with Saturday afternoon's Game 3 of the ALCS between the Yankees and Red Sox delivering a 10.0 rating with a 21 share, up 72 percent from the telecast of the NLCS game between St. Louis and San Francisco the year before. It was the best overnight rating for a Saturday afternoon since at least 1989.

Coverage of the Cubs' 8-3 win over the Marlins that night got a 9.6 with a 17, up 39 percent from the year before. It was the best Saturday rating for an LCS game since 1998.

Florida's 4-0 win on Sunday afternoon got an 11.1 with a 21, up more than 55 percent from the year before and the highest Sunday afternoon LCS overnight rating since the New York Mets beat the Atlanta Braves 4-3 in 15 innings in Game 5 of the 1999 NLCS.

Overnight ratings measure the 55 largest TV markets in the United States, covering nearly 70 percent of the country. Each overnight rating point represents about 735,000 TV homes.

The share is the percentage of homes with sets in use.

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Re: Much ado about nothing

Postby eftda » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:54 am

HOOTIE wrote:Much Ado About Nothing

WOW, i am doing an essay on this book for school, does anyone here know how Don John fears his brother, Don Pedro???
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mightyian5 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:57 am

well i bet fox is enjoying this phat ratings boost. the games really have been great though.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers