2005 Baseball Road Trip Part XIV - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

2005 Baseball Road Trip Part XIV

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

2005 Baseball Road Trip Part XIV

Postby WebHamster » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:44 am

This thread contains comments on Kevin Naughton's Article "2005 Baseball Road Trip Part XIV", which was posted in the Cafe's Articles section on January 3, 2007. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 433)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:52 am

Great read, and a fantastic series. ;-D Thanks for sharing it with all of us. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:53 am

Nice to finally read the culmination. Great story and series. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:02 am

Anyone who proclaims to be a Yankee fan and complains about the Stadium's age and cramp seats while ranking such notable and aging places as Wrigley and Fenway Park high has really got to be a closest Yankee Hater imo. You do realize that Wrigley still has trough's for urinals? Yes a true experience at number 2 (and don't get me wrong Cub fans, I like Wrigley)...to go along with cramped seats, exorbitant ticket prices and a losing product year in and out. Yet that place is 2 on your list while Yankee Stadium gets bagged because it is not a mini-mall inside with theater seats or a swimming pool?

I have NEVER met a true hard-core Yankee fan that would say anything bad about the Stadium outside of the parking/traffic situation. It is tantamount to blasphemy.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 767)

Postby Mugrila » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:20 pm

Nice conclusion to a sweet series. Good job. ;-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby luckygehrig » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:51 pm

Thank you guys very much. I really appreciated all the comments that I got back throughout the series. Thanks for taking the time to read them. ;-D
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby luckygehrig » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:55 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:Anyone who proclaims to be a Yankee fan and complains about the Stadium's age and cramp seats while ranking such notable and aging places as Wrigley and Fenway Park high has really got to be a closest Yankee Hater imo. You do realize that Wrigley still has trough's for urinals? Yes a true experience at number 2 (and don't get me wrong Cub fans, I like Wrigley)...to go along with cramped seats, exorbitant ticket prices and a losing product year in and out. Yet that place is 2 on your list while Yankee Stadium gets bagged because it is not a mini-mall inside with theater seats or a swimming pool?

I have NEVER met a true hard-core Yankee fan that would say anything bad about the Stadium outside of the parking/traffic situation. It is tantamount to blasphemy.

I'm not sure if you've ever been to any of the stadiums or you might understand exactly why I ranked them as I did. Both Wrigley and Fenway try to maintain their original feel whereas the current Yankee Stadium has tried to update itself and stay current while failing. And why is the fact that Wrigley still has trough urinals a problem? As far as calling me a blasphemist, that's your own opinion, but is exactly the reason why I put the disclaimer at the top of my rankings. No two people will rank all 30 stadiums in exactly the same order nor for the same reasons.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SecretAgentMan » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:11 pm

luckygehrig wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:Anyone who proclaims to be a Yankee fan and complains about the Stadium's age and cramp seats while ranking such notable and aging places as Wrigley and Fenway Park high has really got to be a closest Yankee Hater imo. You do realize that Wrigley still has trough's for urinals? Yes a true experience at number 2 (and don't get me wrong Cub fans, I like Wrigley)...to go along with cramped seats, exorbitant ticket prices and a losing product year in and out. Yet that place is 2 on your list while Yankee Stadium gets bagged because it is not a mini-mall inside with theater seats or a swimming pool?

I'm not sure if you've ever been to any of the stadiums or you might understand exactly why I ranked them as I did. Both Wrigley and Fenway try to maintain their original feel whereas the current Yankee Stadium has tried to update itself and stay current while failing. And why is the fact that Wrigley still has trough urinals a problem? As far as calling me a blasphemist, that's your own opinion, but is exactly the reason why I put the disclaimer at the top of my rankings. No two people will rank all 30 stadiums in exactly the same order nor for the same reasons.

I have been to a lot of them and I think you are as off base as you can get. Yankee Stadium's feel is failing? I see. Maybe they should have left trough urinals in the bathrooms and never re-modelled then to be more like Wrigley? Your logic and criticisms are arbitrary and inconsistent. You criticize a baseball cathedral for being cramped and old while still trying to maintaining some level of decorum and modernization over the years but then praise Fenway which has done exactly the same thing with seats over the Green Monster, food courts et. al. And Wrigley which is by far the crampest and most uncomfortable stadium at this point from the amenities point of view you love.

And then you rate at 9 the BOB, with its swimming pool and praise be the air conditioning. Do you want a baseball stadium or a mall? On the one hand you rate highly older parks with class, tradition and charm while at the same time panning the pinnacle of such places in your own team's ball park. Then you criticize the Yanks for trying to make the place a little more modern but failing to make it more like mini-mall. A true Yankee fan is at a ball park to watch a baseball game and root for his team to win. They d not go to the ball park to take a swim, buy clothes, eat at some yuppie food establishment or have a social outing.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby luckygehrig » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:27 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:
luckygehrig wrote:

And then you rate at 10 the BOB, with its swimmimng pool and praise be the air conditioning. Do you want a baseball stadium or a mall? On the one hand you rate highly older parks with class, tradition and charm while at the same time panning the pinnacle of such places in your own team's ball park. Then you criticize the Yanks for trying to make the place a little more modern but failing to make it more like mini-mall. A true Yankee fan is at a ball park to watch a baseball game and root for his team to win. They d not go to the ball park to take a swim, buy clothes, eat at some yuppie food establishment or have a social outting.

I don't believe I mentioned the swimming pool at BOB when I ranked it as highly as I did. I did however mention earlier that I like the idea of retractable roofs which BOB has, and if you would prefer to watch a game in the Arizona desert with no barrier from the heat, be my guest. I prefer to enjoy my ballgames without having to complain the entire time about the heat.

Also, I should have been more specific in my last post. I don't believe that Yankee Stadium is lacking in feel. I mean that it doesn't feel like an old-time stadium nor does it feel like a new stadium. Instead it feels like the behemoths that were built during the middle of the last century that have since been torn down.

And when did I ever say that I wanted any baseball stadium to be a mall? You're putting words into my mouth here and you couldn't be more off-base if you tried.

I ranked Wrigley as highly as I did because they haven't tried to update the look of their stadium as the Yankees did in the '70's while largely ignoring many of the bigger issues. I am a huge Yankees fan and I fully support their new Yankee stadium. The fans will finally be able to more fully enjoy a game. I'm not a short person, so therefore I appreciate it when a ballpark has seats that don't put my knees into my chest or put me into the lap of my neighbor. The current Yankee Stadium is lacking, and if you too blindly support the Yankees to realize this, then there is nothing I can do to convince you otherwise.

Also, I would not make the mistake of throwing my teams stadium to the top of my list just for the fact that they play there. I visited all 30 stadiums for a reason and I don't intend to taint my rankings by doing such. I put it where I believe it fits and I'm not going to change it because you try to shame me out of my claim to being a Yankees fan.

And please, if you post a rebuttal to this post, leave out the mini-mall argument. I never made such a statement, nor would I. As you can see by my top rated ballparks, and hopefully by my comments next to them, I don't go for the huge video boards, the constant barrage of entertainment, or the other attractions away from the field.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SecretAgentMan » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:42 pm

I would not waste my time debating it any more. You can call it whatever you like and try to post-rationalize/spin your ranking decisions however you want to. You are either a casual fan, a Yankee hater posing as a Yankee fan or someone who wants to further his writing/reputation here by seeming "independent" and "non-biased" towards the plethora of Yankee haters that exist everywhere. No matter which is the case, the discussion is not worth any more of my time. A Yankee fan that like the Bob over Yankee Stadium...sure whatever.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Article Discussions