Just want to publicize my 2006 draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Just want to publicize my 2006 draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just want to publicize my 2006 draft

Postby OctaShields » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:27 am

Before the 07 season begins, I just want to throw out my 2006 draft in a 6x6 H2H league on Yahoo! It was ridiculous, and I won my league by 35 games, but lost the championship (playoffs are a crapshoot, as Billy Beane himself has said).

I am very confident in my fantasy baseball abilities, but I am not putting this on here solely for bragging purposes. I was very fortunate and lucky in a lot of spots and I just want to share this nearly perfect draft with everyone.

It's a 4-player keeper, as I said 6x6 (includes Hld and OPS in addition to classic 5x5), 12 team snake draft. 3rd-year of the league, so all owners are competitive. This was year one as a keeper league.

1. (11) Johan Santana
2. (14) Chase Utley
3 (35) Derek Jeter
4. (38) Carlos Beltran
5. (59) Lance Berkman
6. (62) Jason Schmidt
7. (83) Matt Holliday
8. (86) Brandon Webb
9. (107) Melvin Mora
10. (110) Jose Valverde
11. (121) Chad Tracy
12. (124) Jeremy Bonderman
13. (145) Scott Linebrink
14. (148) Brian Fuentes
15. (169) Kelvim Escobar
16. (172) Adrian Beltre
17. (193) Josh Willingham
18. (196) Ryan Madson
19. (217) John Papelbon
20. (220) Casey Kotchman

Rounds 1-8 were epic. Every single one of the top 8 could be a keeper on most other teams, but I can only keep 4. Willingham was catcher eligible and therefore an absolute steal in the 17th and Papelbon was money 3/4 of the year (I traded him before the downfall in a package that got me Billy Wagner as the key component).

The only bad picks were Melvin Mora at 9 (he was probably worth around a 15-17), Valverde at 10 (although he was above average until his hiccup in early June, then I picked up his replacement until he regained his position, when I picked him up again for the rest of the year), Beltre at 16 (really a flier, but he sucked in April so I dropped him--After the break he was worth a 16 at least though), Madson at 18 (another flier that didn't work), and Kotchman at 20.

I hope I can come close to this again in 07, but I won't count on it. Let me know if anyone else thinks they had a draft to rival me.
OctaShields
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby elltrain22 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:11 am

Not an expert on keeper leagues, but here is my critique. First 8 selections were unbelievable, not just that you got them on your team, but that you got some guys so late. Berkman @59, Holliday @86, Webb @83, Beltran @38, even Utley @14 all perplexed me, but once again, I have never done a keeper draft, and am not quite sure if its a good strategy to leave very talented players on the board. Oh well, all the more for your benefit. Not sure what all of your 12 categories are, but I will rate you at the normal 10 categories I am accustommed to. Batting average w/ Utley, Jeter, Berkman, & Holliday you should be good, but w/ Beltran, Beltre, & Willingham you won't be great. Hr's & RBI's you might struggle a bit. The only real HR & RBI studs I see are Beltran & Berkman. The rest are good, but not great. Runs should be phenomenal, no problems there. SB's should be hit or miss from week to week. Overall hitting looks good, but your later picks are a bit on the weak side. Pitching looks good also. Wins should be pretty good. Santana, Schmidt, Webb, & Bonderman is a very, very, very solid 4. All 4 guys can do it all. Wins, low era, low whip, and good so's. Good job w/ that. Also love Papelbon, and the fact ya got him so late in the draft is even better. Your bullpen is horrible. Sorry, just being honest. Valverde is average at best, Linebrink is a question mark to ever close, simply b/c he never has done it, like Fuentes, but he won't get ya alot of saves and Madson is too inconsistent for me.

Overall, your team is very solid, but has a few holes. If you show up your bullpen, and get one more big bopper via the trade, ya got a perfect team. Overall, I give your team a 8 outta 10.

Please rate mine...

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=245219
elltrain22
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

elltrain22

Postby OctaShields » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:23 pm

Apparently you didn't read anything in my post except my draft results. THE DRAFT I LISTED WAS FROM BEFORE LAST SEASON. I just wanted to put it out there before this seasons drafts started!

In this case, then, most of your critiquing is nonsense.

First 8 selections were unbelievable, not just that you got them on your team, but that you got some guys so late. Berkman @59, Holliday @86, Webb @83, Beltran @38, even Utley @14 all perplexed me

Berkman was coming off injury and 59 was near where he was going in most leagues last year. I actually went early on Holliday in Round 7, some people even questioned the pick. Webb in the 8th round was close to average, if not a little early. Beltran in the 4th was pure genius, and in most leagues he was going 3-4 round. Utley at 14 was also pretty much right on. Santana at 11 was a steal, and I knew that at the time. Other than that, most of the picks were near are before that players expected draft position. Papelbon was undrafted in many leagues, I took a flier since holds are a category, then he ended up closing in mid-April.

I actually did say what the rules were in the 6x6 (classic 5x5 with holds and OPS added to balance it out). Therefore, Linebrink in the 13th was average, and somewhat necessary as Scot Shields was chosen a round or two earlier and Linebrink is easily a top-3 holds option.

Please read the whole post before you post a reply next time
OctaShields
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby elltrain22 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:33 pm

Sorry, to used to reading 07 critiques, and I obviously skimmed through yours. You drafted that in 06!! I can see why you dominated!! That is a killer draft. Sorry about not totally reading your post, I don't usually do that, but I was in a hurry when I read it, and next time, I'll take my time and read it. :*)
elltrain22
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team