Have 4 of top 10 minor league picks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Have 4 of top 10 minor league picks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Have 4 of top 10 minor league picks

Postby audioboy » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:27 pm

I've made some deals and have 4 of the top ten ML picks in our upcoming draft. We are a six year old league with some pretty astute owners so most of the no-brainers are gone. I've come up with a list of the top 10 or sothat are available. How would you rank them?

I think it's

1. C. Maybin
2. Y. Gallardo
3. J. Bruce
4. Evan Longoria
5. Andrew Miller
6. Tim Linecum
7. Jose Tabata
8. Reid Brignac
9. Fernando Martinez
10. Andrew McCutcheon
11. Elijah Dukes
12. Clayton Kershaw
13. Nick Adenhart
14. Scot Elbert

Do yuo think I'm way off on any?
Last edited by audioboy on Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
audioboy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Have 4 of top 10 minor league picks

Postby KDOGG » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:13 pm

audioboy wrote:I've made some deals and have 4 of the top ten ML picks in our upcoming draft. We are a six year old league with some pretty astute owners so most of the no-brainers are gone. I've come up with a list of the top 10 or sothat are available. How would you rank them?

I think it's

1. C. Maybin
2. Y. Gallardo
3. J. Bruce
4. Evan Longoria
5. Andrew Miller
6. Tim Linecum
7. Jose Tabata
8. Reid Brignac
9. Fernando Martinez
10. Andrew McCutcheon
11. Elijah Dukes
12. Clayton Krenshaw
13. Nick Adenhart
14. Scot Elbert

Do yuo think I'm way off on any?

I like this:

1.C. Maybin
2.Andrew McCutcheon
3.J. Bruce
4.Y. Gallardo
5.Evan Longoria
6.Scott Elbert
7.Andrew Miller
8.Tim Lincecum
9.Reid Brignac
10.Fernando Martinez
11.Jose Tabata
12.Elijah Dukes
13.Clayton Kershaw
14.Nick Adenhardt
KDOGG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby audioboy » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:15 pm

appreciate the help
audioboy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigken117 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:19 pm

I'd take Dukes off your list entirely...too much uncertainty.

I like
Maybin
Bruce
Longoria
Linecum
McCutchen
F. Martinez
Tabata
Adenhart
Gallardo
Brignac
Miller
Kershaw
Elbert

Make no mistake though...no matter which of the 4 you end up with, you did nice.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby audioboy » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:21 pm

Wow,

I never thought gallardo would go that low!. thanks for the help
audioboy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigken117 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:43 pm

audioboy wrote:Wow,

It's not him as much the prospects above him. You want to take him over a couple 17 year olds, I cannot and would not argue that. I feel like Adenhart has more upside. Again though, any of the four of them, and you're in good shape.
Gallardo is closest to the majors of anyone on that list, if that factors into your decision...

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby KDOGG » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:19 am

bigken117 wrote:
audioboy wrote:Wow,

It's not him as much the prospects above him. You want to take him over a couple 17 year olds, I cannot and would not argue that. I feel like Adenhart has more upside. Again though, any of the four of them, and you're in good shape.
Gallardo is closest to the majors of anyone on that list, if that factors into your decision...

How do you feel Adenhart has more upside than Gallardo? They are the same age and Gallardo led all minor league pitchers in strikeouts while pitching in AA for most of the year while Adenhart was in A+. He also had a better whip and era than Adenhart as well.
Adenhart also has a Tommy John surgery is his past so there are def. questions about his durability. IMO Gallardo as a small notch beneath Hughes and Bailey and there is a big gap between him and Adenhart.

Liek BigKen said though, you will be coming away with 4 very good prospects not mattter what because this is a very good list.

Also I wouldn't write Dukes off completely the Rays are said to be trying him at 1B and theres not much in his way in the majors besides Ty Wigginton. There's no question about Dukes talent it's all a matter of whether he can get his life in order and stay out of trouble.
KDOGG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Have 4 of top 10 minor league picks

Postby Koby Schellenger » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:47 am

It seems that in your league it will pay off to make long term investments with higher risk/higher reward. For that reason I think you have to consider Cam Maybin the best of this group.

I'd rank Jay Bruce second, but wearily. I think he is an excellent prospect but I question how valuable he will be in fantasy baseball at first base. If he is able to hit 30 home runs and swip 20 bags he'll be a good addition. But if he isn't stealing and only swatting 25 homers he won't be incredibly valuable. Still, I would consider the risk worth taking on him.

I'd take Gallardo 3rd but if you are interested in someone who could have an impact in 2007 you might want to consider him second. He has the potential to be a fantasy stud and is definitely the closest to the bigs on this list.

4th I'd go with McCutchen. He has progressed nicely has shown plenty of refinement already.

I really like Evan Longoria 5th but would caution that 2006 might have been a bit of an aberation.

6th I like Scott Elbert. Of course pitchers are always riskier than hitters but I really think Elbert will develop into a very good #2 or average #1.

I'd go with Andrew Miller and Tim Lincecum at 7 and 8 but again, more risk with these guys.

9th I'd go with Reid Brignac. While that might seem a little low, I get nervous investing in anyone in the Devil Rays system because of how much young talent is in their system. If his development is slowed down or he is blocked his stock could take a big hit. He still strikes out too much for me to get on board with him as a .300 hitter and his home runs total is inflated from playing in Viscilia.

10th I'd give to Fernando Martinez. I hate to leave Adenhart off here but there are concerns with him that have already been addressed and I think Martinez will turn into a pretty solid hitter...if you can afford to wait a while.
11. Adenhart
12. Kershaw
13. Tabata
14. Dukes-Unless you feel really risky and you feel like a contributing Dukes could help your team a lot in 2007.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rmande09 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:28 am

I don't think there is much risk with Lincecum. Everyone is making a big deal about size and durability issues, but he has not shown a single reason why he should be considered an injury-threat. He has the best pure stuff out of his draft class, and some of the best stuff in the Minors. He could easily be up by the ASB and could end up being the Giants closer or even a very reliable starter by the end of the season.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Koby Schellenger » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:17 am

rmande09 wrote:I don't think there is much risk with Lincecum. Everyone is making a big deal about size and durability issues, but he has not shown a single reason why he should be considered an injury-threat. He has the best pure stuff out of his draft class, and some of the best stuff in the Minors. He could easily be up by the ASB and could end up being the Giants closer or even a very reliable starter by the end of the season.

The injury concerns about him come from his size and velocity that he throws. It puts so much extra strain on his shoulder and elbow that durability becomes a big question. How many 5'11" guys can you think of that throw gas and can stay healthy? The better question is what has he done to indicate that he will be an effective starter without major injury concerns?

Even if he does end up in the Giants pen this year (doubtful for any meaningful fantasy purposes) that's a big risk. Closers value is sketchy due to the volitility of the position and non-closing relief simply isn't very valuable in fantasy baseball. That's enough risk for me to want bump him down.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball