BMRA-Round 1-Superunknown vs. Tragic Kingdom - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BMRA-Round 1-Superunknown vs. Tragic Kingdom

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which one?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:16 am

Superunknown
79%
Tragic Kingdom
21%

Total votes : 28

BMRA-Round 1-Superunknown vs. Tragic Kingdom

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:16 am

Soundgarden's Superunknown
Review by Steve Huey

Soundgarden's finest hour, Superunknown is a sprawling, 70-minute magnum opus that pushes beyond any previous boundaries. Soundgarden had always loved replicating Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath riffs, but Superunknown's debt is more to mid-period Zep's layered arrangements and sweeping epics. Their earlier punk influences are rarely detectable, replaced by surprisingly effective appropriations of pop and psychedelia. Badmotorfinger boasted more than its fair share of indelible riffs, but here the main hooks reside mostly in Chris Cornell's vocals; accordingly, he's mixed right up front, floating over the band instead of cutting through it. The rest of the production is just as crisp, with the band achieving a huge, robust sound that makes even the heaviest songs sound deceptively bright. But the most important reason Superunknown is such a rich listen is twofold: the band's embrace of psychedelia, and their rapidly progressing mastery of songcraft. Soundgarden had always been a little mind-bending, but the full-on experiments with psychedelia give them a much wider sonic palette, paving the way for less metallic sounds and instruments, more detailed arrangements, and a bridge into pop (which made the eerie ballad "Black Hole Sun" an inescapable hit). That blossoming melodic skill is apparent on most of the record, not just the poppier songs and Cornell-penned hits; though a couple of drummer Matt Cameron's contributions are pretty undistinguished, they're easy to overlook, given the overall consistency. The focused songwriting allows the band to stretch material out for grander effect, without sinking into the pointlessly drawn-out muck that cluttered their early records. The dissonance and odd time signatures are still in force, though not as jarring or immediately obvious, which means that the album reveals more subtleties with each listen. It's obvious that Superunknown was consciously styled as a masterwork, and it fulfills every ambition.

No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom
Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Led by the infectious, pseudo-new wave single "Just a Girl," No Doubt's major-label debut, Tragic Kingdom, straddles the line between '90s punk, third-wave ska, and pop sensibility. The record was produced by Matthew Wilder, the auteur behind "Break My Stride" -- a clever mainstream co-opting of new wave quirkiness, and, as such, an ideal pairing. Wilder kept his production lean and accessible, accentuating No Doubt's appealing mix of new wave melodicism, post-grunge rock, and West Coast sunshine. Even though the band isn't always able to fuse its edgy energy with pop melodies, the combination worked far better than anyone could have hoped. When everything does click, the record is pure fun, even if some of the album makes you wish they could sustain that energy throughout the record. Tragic Kingdom might not have made much of an impact upon its initial release in late 1995, but throughout 1996 "Just a Girl" and "Spiderwebs" positively ruled the airwaves, both alternative and mainstream, and in 1997 No Doubt cemented their cross-generational appeal with the ballad hit "Don't Speak."
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:18 am

I love Ska-Punk!
I love Gwen Stefani!
I love No Doubt!

It's just a sympathy vote. I like No Doubt, don't want them to lose too badly.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 1337_Dude » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:27 am

...If No Doubt puts out Soundgarden I'm going to explode.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:23 am

Soundgarden, great album. No Doubt, come on :-t
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Old_Style » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:32 am

superunknown ;-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:45 am

No doubt, Soundgarden should win this.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:24 am

well, only one of these bands has a member i'd like to have sex with, but i went with the one with the best voice in rock
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:26 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:well, only one of these bands has a member i'd like to have sex with, but i went with the one with the best voice in rock

Seriously; and Chris Cornell's boobs are about the same size as Gwen Stefani's.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ThatDude » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:28 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:well, only one of these bands has a member i'd like to have sex with

I wouldn't have sex with anyone in either band.

I've never found Stefani to be the least bit attractive. Probably because I think she's repugnant.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:29 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:well, only one of these bands has a member i'd like to have sex with, but i went with the one with the best voice in rock

I think Cornell is a badass as well, but have never really considered having sex with him. :-o

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Next

Return to General Talk