BMRA-Round 1-Siamese Dream vs. System of a Down - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BMRA-Round 1-Siamese Dream vs. System of a Down

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which one?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:19 pm

Siamese Dream
63%
System of a Down
37%

Total votes : 27

BMRA-Round 1-Siamese Dream vs. System of a Down

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:19 pm

Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream
Review by Greg Prato

While Gish had placed the Smashing Pumpkins on the "most promising artist" list for many, troubles were threatening to break the band apart. Singer/guitarist/leader Billy Corgan was battling a severe case of writer's block and was in a deep state of depression brought on by a relationship in turmoil; drummer Jimmy Chamberlin was addicted to hard drugs; and bassist D'Arcy and guitarist James Iha severed their romantic relationship. The sessions for their sophomore effort, Siamese Dream, were wrought with friction -- Corgan eventually played almost all the instruments himself (except for percussion). Some say strife and tension produces the best music, and it certainly helped make Siamese Dream one of the finest alt-rock albums of all time. Instead of following Nirvana's punk rock route, Siamese Dream went in the opposite direction -- guitar solos galore, layered walls of sound courtesy of the album's producers (Butch Vig and Corgan), extended compositions that bordered on prog rock, plus often reflective and heartfelt lyrics. The four tracks that were selected as singles became alternative radio standards -- the anthems "Cherub Rock," "Today," and "Rocket," plus the symphonic ballad "Disarm" -- but as a whole, Siamese Dream proved to be an incredibly consistent album. Such compositions as the red-hot rockers "Quiet" and "Geek U.S.A." were standouts, as were the epics "Hummer," "Soma," and "Silverfuck," plus the soothing sounds of "Mayonaise," "Spaceboy," and "Luna." After the difficult recording sessions, Corgan stated publicly that if Siamese Dream didn't achieve breakthrough success, he would end the band. He didn't have to worry for long -- the album debuted in the Billboard Top Ten and sold more than four million copies in three years. Siamese Dream stands alongside Nevermind and Superunknown as one of the decade's finest (and most influential) rock albums.

System of a Down's self titled album
Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

System of a Down's self-titled major-label debut finds the Los Angeles band consolidating its gothic alt-metal, sharpening its deadly riffs, strengthening its brutal rhythms, and adding muscle to its attack. The band differentiates itself from the legions of Southern Californian alt-metalheads by emphasizing its Armenian musical heritage, which gives the music an eerie, otherworldly quality. Part of the success of System of a Down lies with producer Rick Rubin, who helps give the band focus, but ultimately the record works because of the band itself, since they have contributed a set of strong songs that illustrates this is a band that relies on smarts as well as sound.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:20 pm

My ONLY complain about the pumpkins is Billy Corgan's voice.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:22 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:My ONLY complain about the pumpkins is Billy Corgan's voice.

Still better than System of a Down, though they did put on a decent live show if I recall. Boy that was a long time ago. :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:30 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:My ONLY complain about the pumpkins is Billy Corgan's voice.

Still better than System of a Down, though they did put on a decent live show if I recall. Boy that was a long time ago. :-°

Yeah, System of a Down is way too over the top for me, and that's what I think is its appeal. I'm not falling for it though. I was never Pumpkins fan, but I know I dislike System.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby statsman88 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:27 am

Really don't like SOD, do like the Smashing Pumpkins though. SOD just seems really annoying to me
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby acsguitar » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:52 am

SOD is awesome....Little over the top but really original and cool..I'm gonna go with them since SP beat Tool somehow
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Old_Style » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:30 am

went with system of a down. i think it was one of the first cd's i ever bought and, to me, their music doesn't get old.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BritSox » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:11 am

I'm going to take the WR route, and big up SD at every opportunity.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby 1337_Dude » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:34 pm

Went with System even though this is their 2nd best CD.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:07 pm

I hate Smashing Pumpkins
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football