Upgrade at SS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Upgrade at SS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Upgrade at SS

Postby Bender » Sun May 05, 2002 9:46 am

I need to upgrade Cabrera, here is who's available:

First, Felipe Lopez, what do you think of him? He qualifies at SS in my league, as I think he is a 3B normally.

Second, David Eckstein, playing well lately but will it last?

Third, Christian Guzman, don't know much about him.

I'm not happy about missing Furcal, but anyway.

I'm guessing Eckstein would be the best to get?
Bender
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Sun May 05, 2002 10:58 am

Lopez is a full-time ss whose value could take a jump if his move to the second lineup spot is permanent. He's young, with a high potential which he unfortuately won't realize this year. Two things to watch: walks and steals. If he develops a little more patience at the plate, and starts taking more risks on the basepaths, he'll become very good. A nice keeper, but you can do better this year.

Eckstein won't give you any power (the 9 rbi in two games were a major fluke), but his average should improve to around .300 (he has great bat speed and hardly whiffs), and his steals are valuable.

Guzman could well be the best of the lot, but his knee trouble worries me. I'd rather let someone else take that risk.

I agree that Eckstein will give you the best value, unless you're looking primarily for power. Eckstein's surge won't last, but he'll still be a good fantasy option.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bender » Sun May 05, 2002 12:11 pm

Thanks for your help, I think I will have to get Eckstein, he is an improvement over Cabrera at any rate.

I still need to make a trade for a good shorstop, no one wants to give one up it seems.
Bender
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Sun May 05, 2002 1:01 pm

Trading for one of the top shortstops will be tough. Good luck!

Even if you don't swing a deal, your team should be fine with Eckstein, as long as you're not too speed-heavy elsewhere. Actually, using the ss spot for steals is an excellent idea if you have a bit of power at 2b - most people go the other way, leaving players like Eckstein undervalued.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 2times » Sun May 05, 2002 9:20 pm

I'd say take Eck as well, he's going to have a career year even if he's not going to hit 2 grand slams every month. He should fill in quite nicely for furcal. I wouldn't bother overpaying for a top SS if you have Eck in the lineup, he's a good guy to have.
2times

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Bender » Sat May 11, 2002 1:49 am

I can't believe some guy in my league just dropped Rich Aurilia to Waivers! If I can get him, I won't really have to worry about making a trade. My waiver priority is not great though.
Bender
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Sat May 11, 2002 5:09 am

Who knows? Aurilia's been struggling; if enough folks write him off, you kignt have a chance at him. Good luck!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Bender » Mon May 13, 2002 11:59 pm

I got him. The only thing is I probably should have dropped Valentin instead, but who cares, I finally have one of the top five? six? shortstops. My steals are really picking up anyway, and Rich has some power which I am greatly lacking in. Hope he starts playing like last season!
Bender
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Tue May 14, 2002 5:25 am

Nice move. A bit surprising that you were able to get him with a low waiver priority - glad it worked out!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Bender » Tue May 21, 2002 10:58 pm

It looks like Aurilia's out for about a month or so now, so that didn't exactly pay off. But anyway, looks like I will have to take Lopez or Guzman now because Eckstein is gone.
Bender
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers