Sox lose both game and dignity. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sox lose both game and dignity.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Super GM » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:29 am

Anybody see the bullpen brawl in the 9th?
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:51 am

i didn't see it, but i heard about it.

Mike Lowell needs to go to the Red Sox/Yankees...whenever another runner is on third, he's just talking to them and smiling and laughing. No bitterness.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:54 pm

[quote=Believe it or not ... this is soley because of the DH ... I guarantee Pedro would "Learn" how to hit a batter properly .... Until then he is scum. pure scum.[/quote]

Pedro spent 6 years in nl.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:04 am

Amen, Hootie. Pedro was in the NL for 6 years and pitched inside constantly. He's not that bad. Also, he didn't have a lot of heat on his fastball that night and it wasn't that bad. Bah.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:35 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Amen, Hootie. Pedro was in the NL for 6 years and pitched inside constantly. He's not that bad. Also, he didn't have a lot of heat on his fastball that night and it wasn't that bad. Bah.

I have a few thoughts on this. First, Zimmer was wrong and he took the podium today and made an emotional apology. Pedro has said nothing to that effect and even denied throwing at him. Anyone that can throw any pitch at any count for a strike doesn't miss that bad.

My thoughts on this are that Pedro has become a major headhunter since he has been in the AL. Yes, he did pitch inside in the NL but he has taken it to another level. Just because he gave up 4 runs doesn't give him the right to throw up at someones head. Zimmer was wrong and so was Pedro in the "battle". Manny was a hothead who was looking for a fight. If Yao Ming was at bat, that might have been a strike. :-D Either way, it was a fastball that he overthrew and it was barely inside and very high. That bullpen fiasco was just stupidity all around. While I give everyone the right to cheer for their teams, why did that guy need to do it in the Yankees' bullpen? Only they know what happened but everyone there could have reacted better.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:02 am

Lofunzo wrote:Pedro has said nothing to that effect and even denied throwing at him. Anyone that can throw any pitch at any count for a strike doesn't miss that bad

I wouldn't expect an apology out of Pedro. He has said many times that he pitches inside, will continue to pitch inside, and sometimes people get hit. It's all part of keeping control of the plate and strike zone. His words, not mine.

I'd also like to point out that no one, not even professionals, are robots. Clearly Pedro did not have his best stuff in that game, so it is possible that he just overthrew that pitch, and missed high.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not defending Pedro, I'm just pointing out that none of us knows for fact, if Pedro was trying to hit Johnson at all, much less in the head.

Luckily for everyone involved, Johnson was not hit, even though he was awarded first base. Things would have gotten very nasty if the pitch had actually hit Johnson.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DK » Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:06 am

all i know is, it was a bad thing for garcia to take it out on todd walker. what the hell did he do? he didn't throw the pitch.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:52 am

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Pedro has said nothing to that effect and even denied throwing at him. Anyone that can throw any pitch at any count for a strike doesn't miss that bad

I wouldn't expect an apology out of Pedro. He has said many times that he pitches inside, will continue to pitch inside, and sometimes people get hit. It's all part of keeping control of the plate and strike zone. His words, not mine.

I'd also like to point out that no one, not even professionals, are robots. Clearly Pedro did not have his best stuff in that game, so it is possible that he just overthrew that pitch, and missed high.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not defending Pedro, I'm just pointing out that none of us knows for fact, if Pedro was trying to hit Johnson at all, much less in the head.

Luckily for everyone involved, Johnson was not hit, even though he was awarded first base. Things would have gotten very nasty if the pitch had actually hit Johnson.

I hear ya. My point is that Pedro could throw a quarter in a shot glass and, even if he doesn't have his best stuff, could get a dime in there. He missed by a ton. He hit the far shoulder from the plate. That's a couple of feet.

DK wrote:all i know is, it was a bad thing for garcia to take it out on todd walker. what the hell did he do? he didn't throw the pitch.

The situation dictated that he go in hard as it was bases loaded at the time with 0 outs but I will agree that it was a bit excessive. Unfortunately, that is what happens when people go headhunting in the AL and don't have to come to the plate to take their medicine. Someone else always pays the price for their stupidity.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:49 pm

Did Pedro throw that pitch right where he wanted to? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think we can make a judgment based on his normal excellent control, though - even the best of the best miss badly on occasion.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:19 pm

Arlo wrote:Did Pedro throw that pitch right where he wanted to? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think we can make a judgment based on his normal excellent control, though - even the best of the best miss badly on occasion.

I know what you mean. His control was off that day. If it was on, he would have hit Garcia in the head. :-D

Yankee fan or not, I am certain that he was trying to hit him. He is emotional out there and was getting smacked around and punked out.
Lofunzo

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers