Why would anyone even think of voting Mattingly in the HOF? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

Why would anyone even think of voting Mattingly in the HOF?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Sticky Spice » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:26 pm

I always wished there would be two tiers to the HOF. One general tier of the greatest players, and then a special tier to the greatest of the great. How this would be judged is a problem I want to pretend isn't there :-B

I say this because as a fan of baseball in the 1980's, Don Mattingly should be in there. If I were to take my kid to the HOF I would want Don Mattingly and Jack Morris in there representing the time period when I most loved baseball.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:43 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:I always wished there would be two tiers to the HOF. One general tier of the greatest players, and then a special tier to the greatest of the great. How this would be judged is a problem I want to pretend isn't there :-B

I say this because as a fan of baseball in the 1980's, Don Mattingly should be in there. If I were to take my kid to the HOF I would want Don Mattingly and Jack Morris in there representing the time period when I most loved baseball.

Exactly Mattingly was HERO to the Yankees. There team stunk but he was the captain and player his heart out every year.

One thing about mattingly he never K'd more then 43 times in a season.

6 Time Allstar
1 MVP Win. 7 top 20 finshes. 4 Top 10 finishes
Back to back to back Silver Slugger

Anyways Mattingly was and is a class act and after he manages the yanks to a few titles he'll get in for the full package I'd hope.

HOF pisses me of because jerk wads like Bonds will get in. yet class acts who took a city on his back won't because there wacky HOF monitor isn't up to par.

Mattingly is a Hall of Famer because he's Don Mattingly. he is good for baseball
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:15 pm

HOF pisses me of because jerk wads like Bonds will get in. yet class acts who took a city on his back won't because there wacky HOF monitor isn't up to par.

It's not the Hall of Nice Guys. Just ask Ty Cobb.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby Tavish » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:16 am

Exactly Mattingly was HERO to the Yankees. There team stunk but he was the captain and player his heart out every year.

Exactly. He was a hero to the Yankees. Its not the Hall of great Yankees, although Rizzuto's induction might make it seem that way. If Mattingly is inducted he should go in the same year as Will Clark, Steve Garvey, Hal McRae, Tony Oliva, Al Oliver, Dave Parker, Cecil Cooper, and about 20 other guys who were very good players and put up similar numbers but without the New York stage.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby acsguitar » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:00 am

Tavish wrote:

Exactly. He was a hero to the Yankees. Its not the Hall of great Yankees, although Rizzuto's induction might make it seem that way. If Mattingly is inducted he should go in the same year as Will Clark, Steve Garvey, Hal McRae, Tony Oliva, Al Oliver, Dave Parker, Cecil Cooper, and about 20 other guys who were very good players and put up similar numbers but without the New York stage.

I bet California doesn't think that :-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby elltrain22 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:47 am

I am on the fence about this. First off, I really don't ever see him being voted in, but I can't deny how much I would love it if he did. Many that read this will be able to see how much all baseball fans love his contribution to the game, and how he was all class. Never took roids, played w/ the same team his whole career, played great defense, was a 6-time all star, former MVP, and just simply played the game it was meant to be played. With all that said, and as much as I hate to say this, his numbers don't match up w/ the standards ya need. Only 222 hr's, little over 1000 ribs, and no championships is just not enough by hall of fame standards.

I love Donnie Baseball, but he just didn't play long enough, and didn't have a hall of fame impact on the game.
elltrain22
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:33 pm

He got his number retired as a Yankee. That's one heck of an honor. He was a hall of fame talent, but he got hurt.

Getting hurt doesn't give you bonus points though, so he shouldn't make it in. One of my favorite players ever, but I'll just go check out his plaque in the Bronx instead of Cooperstown. Not such a bad consolation gift for him if you ask me.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jedimindtric » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:27 pm

Now I like Donnie Baseball too but why should he get in and not Dale Murphy. Murphy was a back to back MVP, 5 time Gold Glove, 7 time allstar, won 4 consecutive silver sluggers, mosts hits , runs and rbis in the NL in the 80s and 2nd in HR. He was friendly with the press, the fans, the players, and everyone around baseball. He played on a crappy Braves team with no protection and still produced MVP type numbers. Bad knees slowed him down too early, but he should be in the Hall by now. He was the most dominant OF in the 80s and that even after he started out as a catcher!
Jedimindtric
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:13 am

Jedimindtric wrote:Now I like Donnie Baseball too but why should he get in and not Dale Murphy. Murphy was a back to back MVP, 5 time Gold Glove, 7 time allstar, won 4 consecutive silver sluggers, mosts hits , runs and rbis in the NL in the 80s and 2nd in HR. He was friendly with the press, the fans, the players, and everyone around baseball. He played on a crappy Braves team with no protection and still produced MVP type numbers. Bad knees slowed him down too early, but he should be in the Hall by now. He was the most dominant OF in the 80s and that even after he started out as a catcher!

Another reason I don't care about the HOF
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby dmendro » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:48 pm

I've never understood the obsession with pure statistics for Hall of Fame voting. If you want pure statistics, play a sim and come up with your own HoF, and then wtf care about Cooperstown?

Here's the selection criteria for the HoF:

5. Voting — Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.

I don't see it stating:

5. Voting — Voting shall be based upon the player's statistics.

For those in a coma or not yet born during the 80's, Don Mattingly was a terror on the diamond, both defensively and offensively. He finished in the top 5 for MVP voting 3 times, runner up once and MVP winner once. 9 times GG winner, 3 times Silver Slugger winner, 5 time all-star, one of the few hitters out there that walked more then he struck out and was a major contributer to baseball both on and off the field.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball History