Why would anyone even think of voting Mattingly in the HOF? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

Why would anyone even think of voting Mattingly in the HOF?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kemper5 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:15 am

I was shocked to see a recent ESPN Poll that had Mattingly voted 6th in line to make the HOF..It totally shocks me..Listen to these overall career #'s..222 HR's, 1099 RBI's, no Championships, 1 MVP..He did win 9 GG's but that is hardly any reason to let him in the HOF with extremely Marginal to Low Batting numbers..I do not think he'll ever ever make it. He was listed in front of the greats of Jim Rice, Blyleven,Dale Murphy,Tommy John who absolutely destroyed Mattingly in #'s.. Check this stat out..Tommy John had 162 COMPLETE GAMES 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o
Last edited by kemper5 on Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:19 am

bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kemper5 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:24 am

Reading the Post backs why Mattingly no way should be a HOF'er..Good Defensive guy but an average hitter, yes he has a few good years hitting, but do just 2-3 really good years punch your ticket to the Hall..No way..
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Why would anyone even think of voting Mattingly in the HOF?

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:27 am

kemper5 wrote:Reading the Post backs why Mattingly no way should be a HOF'er..Good Defensive guy but an average hitter, yes he has a few good years hitting, but do just 2-3 really good years punch your ticket to the Hall..No way..

If Donnie gets in, I'll at least be able to look forward to Keith Hernandez getting in. O:-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Re: Why would anyone even think of voting Mattingly in the H

Postby Old_Style » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:43 am

bigh0rt wrote:
kemper5 wrote:Reading the Post backs why Mattingly no way should be a HOF'er..Good Defensive guy but an average hitter, yes he has a few good years hitting, but do just 2-3 really good years punch your ticket to the Hall..No way..

If Donnie gets in, I'll at least be able to look forward to Keith Hernandez getting in. O:-)

yeah, that'll make my long time favorite player, mark grace, closer to the hall of fame too. ;-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WyldStallyn » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:18 am

i dont think mattingly deserves to get in. he was a really good player, but not hall worthy imo. but rice and goose really need to be voted in
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Re: Why would anyone even think of voting Mattingly in the H

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:53 pm

For you to say that Mattingly was an average hitter makes me think that you never watched him play. That said, I don't think that he is a HOF player. If not for major back issues, I think that he could have been, though.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby kemper5 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:23 pm

Oh, I watched him extensively..As I said besides his 3 good years of 84-86 he basically was a 14 HR, 80 RBI type..Yes, I admit he was ABOVE Average in hitting, but not anything near great as he only had a few good years in 13 years. I do give him Kuddos on his Defense.. Again he is far off from making the Hall, his career stats just do not cut it..
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:39 pm

Mattingly was a great hitter and a great player. His career numbers do not stack up because of his back problems. If not for those, I think he'd definitely be HOF material.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 55)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:10 pm

I love the kind of player Mattingly was at his best, but offensively he dropped off in a big way before ever even turning 30. He was arguably the best hitter in baseball for a 6 year (why do some people say only 2-3 years?) period before the aforementioned injuries sapped his power. IMO, that's just too small of a timeframe of being an elite player to make it in.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball History