What the hell is Don Zimmer doing attacking Pedro? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What the hell is Don Zimmer doing attacking Pedro?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:29 pm

"does that mean that it is ok for a player to hit a player then? is that what you are saying? No.. then it must only be ok to throw at someones head...

so the rules should look somethiong like this ...

Coach hitting player .. "lifetime ban" ...
Player hitting player .. "2-3 game suspension" ..
Player aiming at you head with a solid object 90+ MPH .... and hitting him I remind you..."Here's the ball back"

imagine if real life operated with your rules ....."

Here's the thing: I do think that the punishment should be worse for a coach hitting a player than a player going after another. Let's imagine if it were the Red Sox bench coach going after Jeter. Couldn't it turn into a wwf type brawl, with the Sox getting the biggest bench coach they could find and then having him intentionally hurt Yankee players?

I don't like fighting and I'd like to see stiffer penalties. But given the can of worms that this could possibly open, I'd like Zimmer out at least for every Red Sox series. He went after the Red Sox most important player and tried to do him harm. There is no defending that.

And really, there is no way to prove that Pedro hit him on purpose. No way. It wouldn't make sense. It would put the rest of his team on edge for the day (see: The Manny at-bat), it was one of the Yankees worst hitters, and it's a playoff game. He's human. Certainly, some pitches are going to get away from him. So, no, I don't think you can punish him unless he has intent or motive. For a place where I think that the pitcher should've been taken out, look at the Estes pitch to Clemens a couple years back.

And frankly, real life does operate by my rules. An unprovoked attack merits more of a punishment than a fight between two competitors. And if you can't prove the guy did something on purpose, then the punishment is going to be far less than if you can prove it. And you can't prove it.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:36 pm

Clemens is more Classy then Pedro..... hahahahhahahhhahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahaahhaah. Thanks man, that just made my day.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mightyian5 » Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:41 pm

zimmer sucks so what happened to him was fine. pedro sucks too, but im glad he threw ole don like a sack of crap. do you think clemens or manny would win in a fight?? im gonna go with clemens cuz hes a weight lifiting super freak.
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Nomar4prez » Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:43 pm

All I know is anyone vs. David Ortiz, Ortiz would win. He is one big motha'.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mightyian5 » Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:47 pm

and another thing, pedro didnt even hit garcia in the head. it was lucky if it even grazed his BACK. if garcia wouldnt have been talkin so much crap around the bases to walker and such, then non of the whole fight would have even happened. so in reality, its the yankees fault.
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:05 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:And frankly, real life does operate by my rules. An unprovoked attack merits more of a punishment than a fight between two competitors. And if you can't prove the guy did something on purpose, then the punishment is going to be far less than if you can prove it. And you can't prove it.

You know what ....I think you are correct about this .... It doesn't make Pedro actions excusable.....

How about we implement this "common law" rule into baseball.
"3 strikes and your out" no not batting....

If you hit 3 guys at or near the head in say a 3-4 year period... Thats it. Your out, Gone.... Now you are trying to nail the Japanese Players in the head now ...

and that goes for both Roger and Pedro .... scum..both of em.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:37 am

I'd agree with that, except who decides when it's close enough to the head to warrent a strike? It seems awfully subjective. How about 2 fastballs to somebody's head, you're gone?

Under that rule, though, I'm pretty sure that Pedros still pitching and Rogers been out for a decade. But that's a gut feeling and I may be letting the Yankee hatred get in the way.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DK » Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:03 am

Nomar4prez wrote:All I know is anyone vs. David Ortiz, Ortiz would win. He is one big motha'.

mo vaughn...wait, he can't stand up.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:38 pm

DK wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:All I know is anyone vs. David Ortiz, Ortiz would win. He is one big motha'.

Only to go to the fridge. :-D Lol.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DK » Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:37 pm

Madison wrote:
DK wrote:

Only to go to the fridge. :-D Lol.

he probably asked for a fridge right next to his hospital bed. :-D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers