next year's braves - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Atlanta Braves

next year's braves

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

next year's braves

Postby catcher-03 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:42 pm

ok the braves need to find out how to win the post season and to do that you need a few things they dont have. they dont need all of this power up and down the lineup like they did this past year.
1# domintating pitcher- they dont have one starting
2# more balance through the lineup-need speed
3#leader- in the lineup
4#spunk- have none play for the division title then always die
5#defenisive catcher-pudge?

ok im going to explain what i think then produce a lineup

javy lopez isnt a good catcher, hes a good hitter, but not a good catcher. they have jonny estrada whos suppost to be great at framing pitches. if they have some extra money they might try going after pudge. first base is another problem.first base by commity hasnt been working, and robert fick left a bad taste in our mouths with that baserunning play. they also have another young rookie firstbaseman named mike hesssman who had a short call up during the season and had 3 hits, 2hrs and a double. second base stick with giles,ss stick with furcal. at third uve got to get rid of vinny, even though he has one of the best gloves for a third baseman, so u put chipper back at third. since chipper left third u put mark derosa in left. now comes the hardest part to beilieve, u have to get rid of andrew jones. he is the best defensive outfielder in the game, no question, and he has a power stick. the thing is it seems like he brings that lacsidasical mood to the braves. the braves need a dominant starter for the playoffs, some like curt schilling or curt schillingest,(or move smoltz back in). gary sheffield i hate to see go but, the braves will be taking a pay cut soon and hes joked in the playoffs the last two years. get some young arms in the bullpen.

ok, u might notice there are alot of rookies, but they will bring some spunk. they also need a leader, but will chipper step up?

c. jonny estrada,henry blanco
1b.mike hessman,julio franco
2b.marcus giles, mark derosa
3b. chipper jones, mark derosa
ss.rafeal furcal, mark derosa(hes a good utility man)
lf.mark derosa,darren bragg
cf.jeff francour,darren bragg( maybe they could pick up some1 like kenny lofton)
rf. darren bragg,ryan langherhans

sp.schillingest
sp.smoltz
sp.russ ortiz
sp. mike hampton
sp.horacio ramirez
rp.kevin gyroskie
rp.ray king
rp young gun
rp young gun
rp.jaret right
cl.jason marquis?( just a though)

i just through this together for yall plz reply!
catcher-03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: next year's braves

Postby eftda » Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:44 pm

catcher-03 wrote:mark derosa in left. now comes the hardest part to beilieve, u have to get rid of andrew jones.
------------------------------
ok, u might notice there are alot of rookies, but they will bring some spunk. they also need a leader, but will chipper step up?
sp.schillingest
sp.smoltz
sp.russ ortiz
sp. mike hampton
sp.horacio ramirez
cl.jason marquis?( just a though)

The Braves want to cut payroll but they wont do it by trading Andrew Jones who could be the next Willie Mays and he is till very young (like 25). Also they WONT go after Irod becuase of the Millwood Estrada trade. Speaking of Millwood, he did say that he WONT return to the phillies so there is a starting pitcher. Schilling wont go to the Braves because he is ify and would want like 10 mill for one yeat. Chipper should move to 3rd but his D stinks so thave Vinny, so i think Chipper will stay in left. Braves might go after J.T. Snow, who is a free agent and would handle Durcal very well. EH coud hit 15-25 homeruns. Marquis is a good starter (if i remember correctly :-? ) so i dont see him becoming the closer. I can see the Braves going after Worrel from the Giants an moving Smoltz to the rotation, but i don tthink that Smoltz becoming a #2 or #3 starter
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby catcher-03 » Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:34 pm

yes the braves are taking a pay cut, and that means if they dont trade any big money maker they probably wont have any money for a free agent. smoltz made a comment that he thinks he would serve a the braves better by being in the starting rotation. this will probably be smoltzs' last year in my opinion one way or another. jt snow would be a good pick up for the braves, because he is such a good defensive 1b even though the braves infield wasnt as bad as the stats they put up were. i also think i remember that jonny damon is a free agent this year but i might be wrong. if the braves dont put smoltz in the starting rotation i still think they will need dominant starting pitcher. u also made the comparison of andrew jones to willie mays, but andrew doesnt play with they energy that willie had, he also isnt as good of a pure hitter as he was, and andrew, has lost his speed that he had over time.and u cant underestimate the attitude he brings to the clubhouse it just seems like hes one of guys that brings that non-enthusiastic attitude to the team.
catcher-03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby eftda » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:18 pm

When i compared Willie to Andrew, i ment in hitting and feilding... I have never seen anyone get to a ball faster than Jones and trading him would be the dumbest thing that the braves could do. Also they WANT TO CUT PAY, that means that they WONT ADD alot of free agents. Remember that they have byrd in the rotation next year. I think that the Braves will go with a youth movement and trade vinny, maddux, Smoltz, or Ortiz this off season. Ortiz was very over-rated and this postseason proved it.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Super GM » Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:35 am

Ok, now it's my turn....

I think the Braves major concern is to add another quality starter. I'm starting to think that they'll bring back Millwood instead of Maddux. Javy Lopez might be back in a Braves uniform, but not as a catcher. The Braves have already indicated that they would like to use Johnny Estrada, who came to Atlanta in the Millwood trade...Javy has also expressed his intrest in playing first base for the Braves. (Robert Fick could be used as a catcher too, by the way) I also doubt that Vinny Castilla will be back next year. At least I hope he won't. I would like to see Chipper move back to third, but I don't think that's gonna happen...It seems more likely that they'll either sign a new third baseman in the offseason or use Mark DeRosa at third.... They could probably shift DeRosa to second too and use Giles at third....

This is another possibility, but not very likely....The Braves have this top prospect at shortstop in the minors. What's his name again? Wilson Betemit, there we go...They might try to bring him in at third, but I seriously doubt it....

That's about as likely as Andruw Jones being traded. (which is definately not going to happen!) I don't think John Smoltz will be a starter again either. I'm sure he wants to, but the Braves need him in the ninth!

They also need to improve their middle relief (like so many other MLB teams). Ray King, Jung Bong, Trey Hodges, Darren Holmes, Roberto Hernandez and Kevin Gryboski just won't do it for a top team.... Kent Mercker needs to stay and Jaret Wright turned out to be pretty reliable too....

Oh yeah, I also think it is important to resign Greg Maddux! He is so valuable to young pitchers like Horacio Ramirez and he gives the team stability.

With Mike Hampton, Greg Maddux, Russ Ortiz, Horacio Ramirez and maybe Kevin Millwood this team would have a great starting rotation. Plus, Paul Byrd should return sometime around the All-Star break too....

I think that would be the most likely to happen this offseason.....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby catcher-03 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:06 am

yes i have no doubt that andrew jones is the best outfielder that weve seen in a very long time on any team. i also think that that would be a great move to move javy to first because its estrada's time to play and javy's time to play too and javy can put up some good numbers if hes not catching every day. betemit has been the braves top prospect for a few years now, but since they have such a stacked left and middle side of the infield, where would they put him. taking into consideration of what yall have said i will make a new propisition for the braves lineup next year.

c.estrada
1b.javy
2b.giles
3b.chipper
ss.furcal
lf.derosa
cf.andrew
rf.how bout hessman or bragg

sp.millwood(but would he come back after the braves backstabbed him last year)
sp.hampton
sp.horacio
sp.they could give jason marquis another shot
sp.adam wainright
rp.merker
rp.king
rp.gryboski
rp.jaret wright
rp.someone for russ ortiz
cl.smoltz
catcher-03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby eftda » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:24 pm

if the Braves fail to get sheff or vlad and/or dont sign Lopez, i think that the Marlins or Phillies will win the east. The baves have bad pitching
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Super GM » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:38 am

I think Sheff will be back. He has no reason to leave Atlanta. He's happy and has also indicated that he'd like to stay. I'm beginning to doubt that they'll re-sign Javy. J.T. Snow could be a good fit for first. It's more likely that they'll bring up Mike Hessmann to platoon with Julio Franco. By the way, I just read that post by catcher-03....Tell me something: Why would Ortiz not be in the starting lineup?
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby catcher-03 » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:09 pm

well the braves dont have sheffield,madux, or javy any more, but they got jd drew. i beileve he fits in nicely now but i would have liked to see jaque jones instead, for the only reason that he doesnt get hurt as much. now they also dont have ray king, but knowing good ole' john, hell make a deal for the braves that will put them predicted at the begining of the season in 2nd or 3rd in the division, but when the playoffs come around, the braves will be right back at top of their division. trust me
catcher-03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Rage » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:19 pm

The cream always rises to the top and thus to, so will the Braves.
Rage
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Atlanta Braves