2007 Breakout Prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

2007 Breakout Prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2007 Breakout Prospects

Postby rmande09 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:49 pm

The title says it all: who do you think will break out in 2007 and shoot themselves to the top of the prospect charts? It can be an easy call or it could be a gutsy call, just post 'em here!

I'll start with a couple.

Michael Bowden and Clay Buchholz: I guess I am a bit biased because I'm a Sox fan, but both of these guys look like they could be studs. I like Bowden a bit over Buchholz because of age, but one or both could shoot themselves into the top five after this season.

Jacob McGee: Seems like this guy gets little attention, but why? A tall power lefty with room to add a little size and velocity to his fastball is always attractive, but add to the fact that he dominated A as a 19 year old, and you have a legit pitching prospect. He struck out 11.5 per 9 (ridiculous), and hitters only hit .211 off him. He is exactly where Scott Elbert was last year at this time, and there is little doubt in my mind that this guy could end up as a top 20 prospect in all of baseball at the end of next season. He'll start at A+, but, barring injury, will probably move to AA by mid-season. If he can figure out his control and stay around 4 BB/9, I think he could be something special.

Sean Rodriguez: Anyone want to tell me how this kid flies under the radar? Wait, it might have something to do with Brandon Wood. But this kid is a STUD. He can play SS or 3B, and with McPherson and Kotchman showing they are mere AAA-studs, Rodriguez should see a chance to team up with B-Wood on the left side of that infield. His bat, as with Wood's, can definitely play at 3B - S-Rod is a better defender at short, but the Halos will probably give Wood every chance in the world to stay at short. A tough 2005 took this kid off the map a little bit, but he more than bounced back last season, splitting time between A+, AA, and AAA (only 2 ABs at AAA), hitting a combined .307 with 29 homers, 68 XBH, and 15 swipes. As with Wood, his main problem is striking out WAY too much - 144 times in 522 ABs - but has shown the ability to walk, with 58 over the season. Even with his K problem, a 21 year old who can play ML SS AND hit like that (.900+ OPS) could be very special. He should start the year at AAA and could get a chance quickly if he continues to hit like he did in '06.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:59 pm

Franklin Morales, SP for Colorado. He's a monster waiting to happen, if he works on his control a bit. Lefties with an arm like his are rare.

Ryan Sweeney, OF for CWS. Had a rep of lacking power, but he improved his power EVERY single month during the course of 2006, and was recovering from wrist surgery in the offseason prior. VERY underrated.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rmande09 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:10 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:Franklin Morales, SP for Colorado. He's a monster waiting to happen, if he works on his control a bit. Lefties with an arm like his are rare.

Ryan Sweeney, OF for CWS. Had a rep of lacking power, but he improved his power EVERY single month during the course of 2006, and was recovering from wrist surgery in the offseason prior. VERY underrated.

Wow, I did not know Morales was a lefty. I liked everything about the guy, power arm, good size, poor control, but there are just too many guys out there like him. Give him a left arm and it is a completely different story.

rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: 2007 Breakout Prospects

Postby KOSTAS » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:09 pm

rmande09 wrote:The title says it all: who do you think will break out in 2007 and shoot themselves to the top of the prospect charts? It can be an easy call or it could be a gutsy call, just post 'em here!

I'll start with a couple.

Michael Bowden and Clay Buchholz: I guess I am a bit biased because I'm a Sox fan, but both of these guys look like they could be studs. I like Bowden a bit over Buchholz because of age, but one or both could shoot themselves into the top five after this season.

Jacob McGee: Seems like this guy gets little attention, but why? A tall power lefty with room to add a little size and velocity to his fastball is always attractive, but add to the fact that he dominated A as a 19 year old, and you have a legit pitching prospect. He struck out 11.5 per 9 (ridiculous), and hitters only hit .211 off him. He is exactly where Scott Elbert was last year at this time, and there is little doubt in my mind that this guy could end up as a top 20 prospect in all of baseball at the end of next season. He'll start at A+, but, barring injury, will probably move to AA by mid-season. If he can figure out his control and stay around 4 BB/9, I think he could be something special.

Sean Rodriguez: Anyone want to tell me how this kid flies under the radar? Wait, it might have something to do with Brandon Wood. But this kid is a STUD. He can play SS or 3B, and with McPherson and Kotchman showing they are mere AAA-studs, Rodriguez should see a chance to team up with B-Wood on the left side of that infield. His bat, as with Wood's, can definitely play at 3B - S-Rod is a better defender at short, but the Halos will probably give Wood every chance in the world to stay at short. A tough 2005 took this kid off the map a little bit, but he more than bounced back last season, splitting time between A+, AA, and AAA (only 2 ABs at AAA), hitting a combined .307 with 29 homers, 68 XBH, and 15 swipes. As with Wood, his main problem is striking out WAY too much - 144 times in 522 ABs - but has shown the ability to walk, with 58 over the season. Even with his K problem, a 21 year old who can play ML SS AND hit like that (.900+ OPS) could be very special. He should start the year at AAA and could get a chance quickly if he continues to hit like he did in '06.

His plate discipline is very rough around the edges. Also he has been playing in extreme hitters parks/ leagues like many Angels prospects before him. Let's see how he does with 1/2 year in AAA before anointing him a stud aye? ;-)
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rmande09 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:33 pm

KOSTAS wrote:His plate discipline is very rough around the edges. Also he has been playing in extreme hitters parks/ leagues like many Angels prospects before him. Let's see how he does with 1/2 year in AAA before anointing him a stud aye? ;-)

But it is OK for Wood to be a top 5 prospect? Both have played at the same levels, both have bad plate discipline, but both can crush the ball. I think it's simply because Wood hit 50+ in 2005, but Rodriguez is no slouch, either. He is a stud; anyone that hits 30 homers (29) in the Minors in a year is a stud. I wish I could do that. He deserves a little attention though, because any kid that can stick at SS that hits 29 homers in a Minor League season with a .300+ average and a .900+ OPS deserves some credit. Rodriguez gets no credit - I have never heard his name mentioned.

In fact, I just looked at their career Minor League stats, and they are extremely similar. Wood strikes out a little bit more, and Rodriguez walks quite a bit more. Wood slugs better, though give Rodriguez a full season at AA Arkansas and you might see that gap close a bit. Wood does take the cake, but a lot of his homers come from his 2005 campaign, which may or may not have been a bit of a fluke. Rodriguez has more speed and is a much better defender at short.

Though I do think both have a long ways to go, I find it thoroughly unfair for Wood to get all kinds of attention while S-Rod gets no love.

rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KOSTAS » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:40 pm

rmande09 wrote:
KOSTAS wrote:His plate discipline is very rough around the edges. Also he has been playing in extreme hitters parks/ leagues like many Angels prospects before him. Let's see how he does with 1/2 year in AAA before anointing him a stud aye? ;-)

But it is OK for Wood to be a top 5 prospect? Both have played at the same levels, both have bad plate discipline, but both can crush the ball. I think it's simply because Wood hit 50+ in 2005, but Rodriguez is no slouch, either. He is a stud; anyone that hits 30 homers (29) in the Minors in a year is a stud. I wish I could do that. He deserves a little attention though, because any kid that can stick at SS that hits 29 homers in a Minor League season with a .300+ average and a .900+ OPS deserves some credit. Rodriguez gets no credit - I have never heard his name mentioned.

In fact, I just looked at their career Minor League stats, and they are extremely similar. Wood strikes out a little bit more, and Rodriguez walks quite a bit more. Wood slugs better, though give Rodriguez a full season at AA Arkansas and you might see that gap close a bit. Wood does take the cake, but a lot of his homers come from his 2005 campaign, which may or may not have been a bit of a fluke. Rodriguez has more speed and is a much better defender at short.

Though I do think both have a long ways to go, I find it thoroughly unfair for Wood to get all kinds of attention while S-Rod gets no love.

I would agree with that. I think 2007 is the year S-Rod establishes himself as long as he can keep the power up. S-Rod is not only a bit unnoticed because of Wood but also because of another pretty good SS prospect ahead of him on the depth chart- Erick Aybar. Something is going to shake out in Anaheim this year to make this all clearer for 2008 and beyond.

IMO, I think ultimately, you are looking at Kotchman/ Macpherson 1B, Kendrick 2B, Aybar SS, Wood 3B and S-Rod in LF. That would probably be the best defensive configuration while getting all the best young bats in the lineup.
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rmande09 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:51 pm

Well that's what I meant with the topic, "2007 Breakout Prospects." If Rodriguez keeps the power numbers up (which I would assume he definitely would in Arkansas), I would definitely think he would have to get some talk. I think this could be a big year for the young trio (Aybar, Wood, Rodriguez), as a strong showing in the first few months at Arkansas for Rodriguez could propel him to AAA-Salt Lake with both Wood and Aybar, forcing the Angels to make a decision about positions and who will stay with the organization. I personally do not feel Aybar will be much of a ML contributor - he reminds me a lot of an Adam Kennedy type. I also question whether his defense will stick at SS, as he is not exactly a strong defender.

I also hope Rodriguez sticks at SS because his offense will look much better there than in the OF!

rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Broncmet724 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:56 pm

Would you consider Clayton Kershaw as a breakout candidate?
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Koby Schellenger » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:10 pm

Broncmet724 wrote:Would you consider Clayton Kershaw as a breakout candidate?

I wouldn't. He is already highly rated.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rmande09 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:14 pm

Broncmet724 wrote:Would you consider Clayton Kershaw as a breakout candidate?

He's already a stud. If he has a great year, it won't be a breakout because it is almost expected. A very good year would probably make him a top 3 pitching prospect for '08, though.

rmande09
Minor League Mentor