BMRA-Round 1-The Downward Spiral vs. Weezer(Blue Album) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BMRA-Round 1-The Downward Spiral vs. Weezer(Blue Album)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which one?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:12 am

The Downward Spiral
44%
Blue Album
56%

Total votes : 32

BMRA-Round 1-The Downward Spiral vs. Weezer(Blue Album)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:12 am

9 In. Nails' The Downward Spiral
Review by Steve Huey

The Downward Spiral positioned Trent Reznor as industrial's own Phil Spector, painting detailed, layered soundscapes from a wide tonal palette. Not only did he fully integrated the crashing metal guitars of Broken, but several newfound elements -- expanded song structures, odd time signatures, shifting arrangements filled with novel sounds, tremendous textural variety -- can be traced to the influence of progressive rock. So can the painstaking attention devoted to pacing and contrast -- The Downward Spiral is full of striking sonic juxtapositions and sudden about-faces in tone, which make for a fascinating listen. More important than craft in turning Reznor into a full-fledged rock star, however, was his brooding persona. Grunge had the mainstream salivating over melodramatic angst, which had always been Reznor's stock in trade. The left-field hit "Closer" made him a postmodern shaman for the '90s, obsessed with exposing the dark side he saw behind even the most innocuous façades. In fact, his theatrics on The Downward Spiral -- all the preening self-absorption and serpentine sexuality -- seemed directly descended from Jim Morrison. Yet Reznor's nihilism often seemed like a reaction against some repressively extreme standard of purity, so the depravity he wallowed in didn't necessarily seem that depraved. That's part of the reason why, in spite of its many virtues, The Downward Spiral falls just short of being the masterpiece it wants to be. For one thing, fascination with texture occasionally dissolves the hooky songwriting that fueled Pretty Hate Machine. But more than that, Reznor's unflinching bleakness was beginning to seem like a carefully calibrated posture; his increasing musical sophistication points up the lyrical holding pattern. Having said that, the album ends on an affecting emotional peak -- "Hurt" mingles drama and introspection in a way Reznor had never quite managed before. It's evidence of depth behind the charisma that deservedly made him a star.

Weezer's Blue Album
Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Falling between the warped pop of The Pixies and the straightahead thump of arena rock, Weezer's debut album offers embarrassingly pleasurable pop thrills. Weezer is unabashedly pop. Songs like "Buddy Holly," "Undone -- The Sweater Song," "In the Garage," "The World Has Turned and Left Me Here," and "Surf Wax America" are filled with strong, simple guitar hooks and relentlessly catchy melodies. What makes the band so enjoyable is their charming geekiness; instead of singing about despair, they sing about love, which is kind of refreshing in the gloom-drenched world of '90s guitar-pop.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:25 am

Nails easy. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby pokeyjoe » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:01 am

I voted Weezer, I'm not a huge fan, but they're fun to listen to, and I definitely like them better the NIN.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby decoy562 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:49 am

Weezer, never was a NIN fan.
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:43 pm

NIN easy.

Weezer is a little gay
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:15 pm

Not a fan of either band, but I'd have to go with NIN by a pretty good margin here.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby 1337_Dude » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:46 pm

This may be a vote out of ignorance more so then anything. But I like Weezer and NiN has never really done anything to make me want to listen to them, so I give my vote to Weezer.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Callahan » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:47 pm

Two of the best albums of the decade...tough choice. But I'll go with NIN.
Callahan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Old_Style » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:09 pm

i voted for the blue album. looks like weezer got a tough first round draw though
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:37 am

Toughest call of the tourney so far. I went with Weezer here, mostly because I still think Pretty Hate Machine is still NIN's best album. Weezer's self titled debut is also heavily influenced by The Cars, one of my favorite bands, so it gets a nod here.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk