Um, this is interesting................. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Um, this is interesting.................

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:08 am

They said that they left him off because he has shoulder stiffnes. Yeah, right. :-P
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:13 am

I forget where I read it but I did read somewhere this week that the Red Sox plan on giving Kim a chance at starting the season in the rotation next year. In whatever case, it's very unlikely that he will be closing next year, so I would downgrade him severely as a keeper.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:29 am

jdh wrote:I forget where I read it but I did read somewhere this week that the Red Sox plan on giving Kim a chance at starting the season in the rotation next year. In whatever case, it's very unlikely that he will be closing next year, so I would downgrade him severely as a keeper.

I saw that as well.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:46 am

jdh wrote:I forget where I read it but I did read somewhere this week that the Red Sox plan on giving Kim a chance at starting the season in the rotation next year. In whatever case, it's very unlikely that he will be closing next year, so I would downgrade him severely as a keeper.

That's what I read, and I agree. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:52 am

Lofunzo wrote:They said that they left him off because he has shoulder stiffnes. Yeah, right. :-P

Well everyone knows that Kim flipped off Boston fans, right? Some of the most passionate fans in all of baseball and you flip them off? I wouldn't be surprised if he was traded this winter. Sox fans don't like that sh*t. (Yes, we're very hard on players, but the frenzy and passion with which we love our team is nearly unrivaled. See also: Cardinals.)

Anyway, this doesn't surprise me at all. Kim complained of a sore shoulder, but it seems like an excuse. Can you imagine bringing Kim into a game? In the Bronx? Not going go happen. So, Grady made the right choice--have guys in the 'pen that he'll use.

Plus--and David Justice pointed this out--Kim's partial downfall seems to be his inclination to throw that (curve?) rising pitch that goes right into lefties, instead of his biting fastball. He's hit so many lefties this year its silly.

Jones has done OK. He'll only be in for mop-up jobs anyway. I wouldn't even trust Kim for that against the Yankees.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:36 am

Update: The latest rumor is that Kim flipped off some fans in Oakland, too.

Kim left out, but in plans
He'll skip series to rest shoulder
By Bob Hohler, Globe Staff, 10/9/2003

NEW YORK -- All but crossing their hearts or swearing on a Bible, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein and manager Grady Little last night insisted Byung Hyun Kim was dropped from the 25-man roster solely because of tightness in his right shoulder rather than his record of futility against the Yankees or his unhappiness with his Sox experience.

The latest sign of Kim's displeasure purportedly occurred before Game 5 of the American League Division Series. Less than 48 hours after the Sox issued a prepared apology from Kim for flipping off the crowd at Fenway Park during the introductions before Game 3, he reprised the gesture toward fans near the Sox dugout at Network Associates Coliseum as he took the field for practice before Game 4, according to Moon Ho Kim, a reporter for Sports Today in Seoul.

"The fans who were there, they told me they saw it," Kim said before Game 1 of the AL Championship Series at Yankee Stadium.

An individual who was at the scene in Oakland and asked not to be identified corroborated the reporter's account. Kim has declined to speak with American or Korean reporters in recent days.

Epstein said he knew nothing about the allegation and expressed a measure of skepticism. "Given how badly he felt about the incident in Boston and how hard he was working to deal with the situation, I would be surprised if that ever happened again," Epstein said.

Kim remained with the Sox and continued to work out despite being dropped from the roster. Epstein said the righthander will follow a throwing program "with the sole goal in mind of getting him ready for Game 1 of the World Series."

Should the shoulder tightness persist, Kim will undergo a battery of medical tests, including an MRI, Epstein indicated.

"The doctors have looked at him and they aren't alarmed by anything," Little said. "He's just not at a point where he can tell us he can pitch every day. Some days yes, some days no. We can't afford to have that right now."

Kim, who blew two saves against the Yankees in the 2001 World Series with the Diamondbacks, also struggled against them this year, going 1-2 with a 5.14 ERA and blowing one of his two save chances.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby PresHabib » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:16 pm

I wasn't all that surprised. I didn't think it would really happen that way, but I understood that it was a very real possibility. I think outside of Red Sox Nation people may be surprised, but he's quickly becoming very unpopular around here and it may just be best to shut him down and let him start over next year, as a starter (please replace John Burkett). I don't know if shoulder stiffness is an excuse or what...either way, he's been ineffective ESPECIALLY agaisnt the Yanks so, it appears to be a rational enough idea to leave him off the roster.

And, I actually forgot about this..but they actually left Wakefield off the '99ALCS roster? What was THAT all about? I hate Jimy Williams more every time I hear that.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:18 pm

I think he was left off due to his struggles this year and his struggles last year against the Yanks. Mentally, the guy has to be tired. Flipping off the fans is pretty dumb. It also doesn't bode well for next year.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:31 pm

Madison wrote:I think he was left off due to his struggles this year and his struggles last year against the Yanks. Mentally, the guy has to be tired. Flipping off the fans is pretty dumb. It also doesn't bode well for next year.

Agreed although they need a decent starter for next year more than they need to make a statement.
Lofunzo

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:43 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:I think he was left off due to his struggles this year and his struggles last year against the Yanks. Mentally, the guy has to be tired. Flipping off the fans is pretty dumb. It also doesn't bode well for next year.

Agreed although they need a decent starter for next year more than they need to make a statement.

I bet they are debating what to do in the front office as we speak. Do we give him another chance and let him start next year? Or do we trade him due to his actions? Tough decision for the Sox to make.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers