Willis Arrested for DUI - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Willis Arrested for DUI

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bellings » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:19 pm

mak1277 wrote:The penalty just isn't stiff enough. Even for someone who's not famous, the odds of jail time for a first DUI offense are just miniscule (at least in Missouri; I shouldn't speak for all states).

I think this is true in most states. You basically always spend the night in jail after getting arrested. Maybe judges give people the benefit of the doubt that after that night in jail and all the money it's going to cost them that they might not do it again. Who knows. (BTW, cop in the family, no personal experience)
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:20 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:
soxfan364 wrote:Yep he'll get a slap on the wrist... no biggie.

Still one shouldn't be drinking and driving.

Yeah, I agree, but I can't see how it will ever stop.

I can slightly understand why D&D still happens. If you are by yourself and don't have enough money for a cap, it's pretty easy to think that you're better off "giving it a shot" on your own. What baffles me is why these superstars with tons of money keep driving themselves home drunk. Get a cab. Get a limo. Get a limo-cab.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby soxfan364 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:33 pm

Good point, superstars should be able to afford a driver... or at least cab fare.

But then again maybe you don't want the Mrs. saying the next day... "where's your car, out drinking again and too drunk to drive???"
Oh well better than a ticket or getting hurt.
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby bellings » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:36 pm

I'm really not surprised at all. I think that many professional atheletes have shown us that they are lacking in the decision making skills department. Here's one more.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mak1277 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:39 pm

soxfan364 wrote:Good point, superstars should be able to afford a driver... or at least cab fare.

Heck yes. If I were a multi-millionaire pro jock, I'd have a driver on call at all times. It's pure stupidity/laziness/hubris to drive drunk when you make that much money.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby J35J » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:56 pm

I think if you get busted for D&D then they need some way of putting some sort of ID on your Drivers Liscense that when you go to buy alcohol again they can run that number and deny you from buying alcohol for a certain period of time for a first offense and forever for a 2nd........ just my opinion.... if your stupid enough to D&D then you don't need to be drinking at all!!

And I realize that others can then turn around and buy your alcohol but at some point maybe all your friends will have "said" ID on there Liscense as well and it will eventually become a pain in the Arse to get alcohol. It will at least make you second guess before you drink and drive again I would think???

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:29 pm

J35J wrote:I think if you get busted for D&D then they need some way of putting some sort of ID on your Drivers Liscense that when you go to buy alcohol again they can run that number and deny you from buying alcohol for a certain period of time for a first offense and forever for a 2nd........ just my opinion.... if your stupid enough to D&D then you don't need to be drinking at all!!

And I realize that others can then turn around and buy your alcohol but at some point maybe all your friends will have "said" ID on there Liscense as well and it will eventually become a pain in the Arse to get alcohol. It will at least make you second guess before you drink and drive again I would think???

Jason

I'm sure people have heard about this but in some states they have put in breathilizer tests that somehow wire into the ignition. If you fail that test, the ignition wont start. I think its a great idea even though there are ways to circumvent it. I'm sure though that they could find a way to "bulletproof" the system.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby RugbyD » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:29 pm

J35J wrote:I think if you get busted for D&D then they need some way of putting some sort of ID on your Drivers Liscense that when you go to buy alcohol again they can run that number and deny you from buying alcohol for a certain period of time for a first offense and forever for a 2nd........ just my opinion.... if your stupid enough to D&D then you don't need to be drinking at all!!

Jason

thats an extreme measure considering the difference could be .079 vs .081. And merely purchasing alcohol says nothing about an intent to drive after consumption.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:33 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:

Jason

I'm sure people have heard about this but in some states they have put in breathilizer tests that somehow wire into the ignition. If you fail that test, the ignition wont start. I think its a great idea even though there are ways to circumvent it. I'm sure though that they could find a way to "bulletproof" the system.

I had an acquaintance who, after like his third DWI, got one of the breathilizers in his car. The dude was super stupid though, and would just get someone else to blow in it so it would start and he could drive home. I wasn't ever around when this happened or I would have likely knocked his stupid ass out. But anyway, unless it matches your DNA and your breath, there's always a way around it. :-[
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bellings » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:49 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:

Jason

I had an acquaintance who, after like his third DWI, got one of the breathilizers in his car. The dude was super stupid though, and would just get someone else to blow in it so it would start and he could drive home. I wasn't ever around when this happened or I would have likely knocked his stupid ass out. But anyway, unless it matches your DNA and your breath, there's always a way around it. :-[

I've heard of these types of machines where you have to blow in it every 5 minutes or something to keep the car running. That would work, unless there was someone else in the car. But seriously, if there is a sober person in the car that isn't driving, that's just amazingly stupid.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers