BMRA-Round 1-AEnima vs. Shake Your Money Maker - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BMRA-Round 1-AEnima vs. Shake Your Money Maker

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

which one?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:46 am

AEnima
77%
Shake Your Money Maker
23%

Total votes : 30

BMRA-Round 1-AEnima vs. Shake Your Money Maker

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:46 am

Tool's AEnima
Review by Rob Theakston

For their third release, Tool explore the progressive rock territory previously forged by such bands as King Crimson. However, Tool are conceptually innovative with every minute detail of their art, which sets them apart from most bands. Make no mistake, this isn't your father's rock record. Sonically, the band has never sounded tighter. Long exploratory passages are unleashed with amazing precision, detail, and clarity, which only complements the aggressive, abrasive shorter pieces on the album. There is no compromise from any member of the band, with each of them discovering the dynamics of his respective instrument and pushing the physical capabilities to the limit. Topics such as the philosophies of Bill Hicks (eloquently eulogized in the packaging), evolution and genetics, and false martyrdom will fly over the heads of casual listeners. But those listening closely will discover a special treat: a catalyst encouraging them to discover a world around them to which they otherwise might have been blind. If these aren't good enough reasons to listen to Ænima, then just trust the simple fact that Tool deliver the hard rock goods every time the band chooses to release something.

The Black Crowes' Shake Your Money Maker
Review by Steve Huey

The Black Crowes' debut album, Shake Your Money Maker, may borrow heavily from the bluesy hard rock grooves of the Rolling Stones and Faces (plus a bit of classic soul), but the band gets away with it due to sharp songwriting and an ear for strong riffs and chorus melodies, not to mention the gritty, muscular rhythm guitar of Rich Robinson and brother Chris' appropriate vocal swagger. Unlike their later records, the Crowes don't really stretch out and jam that much on Money Maker, but that helps distill their virtues into a handful of memorable singles ("Jealous Again," "She Talks to Angels," a cover of Otis Redding's "Hard to Handle"), and most of the album tracks maintain an equally high standard. Shake Your Money Maker may not be stunningly original, but it doesn't need to be; it's the most concise demonstration of the fact that the Black Crowes are a great, classic rock & roll band.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:11 am

Aenima may be the greatest album since the wall

......He had a lot to say he had a lot of nothing to say

....All you read and wear and see and hear on TV is a product begging for your fat arse dirty dollar.

I'll keep digging till I feel something

learn to swim
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:17 am

acsguitar wrote:Aenima may be the greatest album since the wall

:-b Sorry, that just made me laugh out loud. I don't consider either album as great. ;-)

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:19 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:

:-b Sorry, that just made me laugh out loud. I don't consider either album as great. ;-)

:) Yer crayz
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:31 am

acsguitar wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

I kid. Pink Floyd is great in its own right and even though I enjoy listening to The Wall and Wish You Were Here in their entirety, I get disenchanted with it very fast, but that's my personal taste. I just don't find it relevant for me, whereas folks my age listen to it as if they knew it forever when they've only be introduced to Floyd for three minutes. Tool had turned me off at hello and despite giving them a few chances, I just passed up on it.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby ThatDude » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:57 am

I really really like Shake Your Moneymaker.

But I just can't vote for it here.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:16 am

ThatDude wrote:I really really like Shake Your Moneymaker.

Image ;-7
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby BritSox » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:30 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

I kid. Pink Floyd is great in its own right and even though I enjoy listening to The Wall and Wish You Were Here in their entirety, I get disenchanted with it very fast, but that's my personal taste. I just don't find it relevant for me, whereas folks my age listen to it as if they knew it forever when they've only be introduced to Floyd for three minutes. Tool had turned me off at hello and despite giving them a few chances, I just passed up on it.

Can't stand prog. The wall is a horrific, bloated mess, with a couple of good songs lost in the middle of all the self-indulgence.

That said, though I'm not personally a fan I do think Tool deserve to get an album out of the first round, and although I enjoyed the Crowes, their work wasn't particularly earth-shattering.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:09 am

Aenima easily here. :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Callahan » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:02 am

GAH! Hardest one yet. Two of my favorite bands here. I'll go with Tool, just because AEnima is one of the best records of the '90s and Shake Yer Moneymaker isn't even the Crowes' best album.
Callahan
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to General Talk