BMRA-Round 1-Reign in Blood vs. The Colour and the Shape - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BMRA-Round 1-Reign in Blood vs. The Colour and the Shape

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which one?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:43 am

Slayer's album
41%
Foo Fighter's album
59%

Total votes : 32

BMRA-Round 1-Reign in Blood vs. The Colour and the Shape

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:43 am

This will probably be ugly.

Slayer's Reign in Blood
Review by Steve Huey

Widely considered the pinnacle of speed metal, Reign in Blood is Slayer's undisputed masterpiece, a brief (under half an hour) but relentless onslaught that instantly obliterates anything in its path and clears out just as quickly. Producer Rick Rubin gives the band a clear, punchy sound for the first time in its career, and they largely discard the extended pieces of Hell Awaits in favor of lean assaults somewhat reminiscent of hardcore punk (though distinctly metallic and much more technically demanding). Reign in Blood opens and closes with slightly longer tracks (the classics "Angel of Death" and "Raining Blood") whose slower riffs offer most of the album's few hints of melody. Sandwiched in between are eight short (all under three minutes), lightning-fast bursts of aggression that change tempo or feel without warning, producing a disjointed, barely controlled effect. The album is actually more precise than it sounds, and not without a sense of groove, but even in the brief slowdowns, the intensity never lets up. There may not be much variation, but it's a unified vision, and a horrific one at that. The riffs are built on atonal chromaticism that sounds as sickening as the graphic violence depicted in many of the lyrics, and Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman's demented soloing often mimics the screams of the songs' victims. It's monstrously, terrifyingly evocative, in a way that transcends Reign in Blood's metal origins. The album almost single-handedly inspired the entire death metal genre (at least on the American side of the Atlantic), and unlike many of its imitators, it never crosses the line into self-parodic overkill. Reign in Blood was a stone-cold classic upon its release, and it hasn't lost an ounce of its power today.

Foo Fighter's The Colour and the Shape
Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Since the first Foo Fighters album was a collection of Dave Grohl solo recordings, their second, The Colour and the Shape, is in many ways their official debut, and it certainly does sound different than its predecessor. Producer Gil Norton has tightened up the sound considerably -- his control was so tight that drummer William Goldsmith left the band during the recording, leaving Grohl to record the rhythm tracks for the bulk of the album. Certainly, Norton's big, shiny sound makes The Colour and the Shape sound more professional than the debut, but the presence of a full band makes a difference, too. The full Foo Fighters make Grohl's songs heavier, not punkier, which may be a little unsettling to fans of the debut's ragged, amateurish edge. It's also strange that the album has such a glossy, arena-ready sound, since Grohl's songs are introspective, quite different than the endearing punk-pop of its predecessor. They're also not quite as catchy as before, but the band compensates by delivering them with a brutal energy. Still, the lack of immediate hooks prevents The Colour and the Shape from truly catching fire.
Last edited by PlayingWithFire on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:10 am

RAINING BLOOD!!! From a lacerated sky! Bleeding its horror, creating my structure, now I shall...REIGN IN BLOOD!!!!! :-D

Sorry, can't help myself. What poetry. I voted Slayer of course. ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:12 am

Foo fighters i don't like thrash metal or whatever you call slayer
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:15 am

acsguitar wrote:Foo fighters i don't like thrash metal or whatever you call slayer

BOOOOOO!!!! :-t :-b

See, this is why I love metal, thrash metal and death metal especially. It's so misunderstood that only a few people like myself can love it. :-D

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:19 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Foo fighters i don't like thrash metal or whatever you call slayer

See, this is why I love metal, thrash metal and death metal especially. It's so misunderstood that only a few people like myself can love it. :-D

I don't hate it...I'd have voted for it over barenaked ladies
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:33 am

acsguitar wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

If Barenaked Ladies wasn't the name of a band, I would've said this is the first time ACS admitted to passing up on boobies and slores. :-b

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:42 am

I just don't care for the sound of Slayer's music at all.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby ThatDude » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:04 am

ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:12 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

If Barenaked Ladies wasn't the name of a band, I would've said this is the first time ACS admitted to passing up on boobies and slores. :-b

the truth really comes out, because he was anti-boob in the BOC thread too ;-7

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:34 am

Slayer easily for me. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk