BMRA-Round 1-The Bends vs. Doolittle - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BMRA-Round 1-The Bends vs. Doolittle

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

which one?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:39 am

The Bends
75%
Doolittle
25%

Total votes : 24

BMRA-Round 1-The Bends vs. Doolittle

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:39 am

Radiohead's The Bends

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Pablo Honey in no way was adequate preparation for its epic, sprawling follow-up, The Bends. Building from the sweeping, three-guitar attack that punctuated the best moments of Pablo Honey, Radiohead create a grand and forceful sound that nevertheless resonates with anguish and despair -- it's cerebral anthemic rock. Occasionally, the album displays its influences, whether it's U2, Pink Floyd, R.E.M., or the Pixies, but Radiohead turn clichés inside out, making each song sound bracingly fresh. Thom Yorke's tortured lyrics give the album a melancholy undercurrent, as does the surging, textured music. But what makes The Bends so remarkable is that it marries such ambitious, and often challenging, instrumental soundscapes to songs that are at their cores hauntingly melodic and accessible. It makes the record compelling upon first listen, but it reveals new details with each listen, and soon it becomes apparent that with The Bends, Radiohead have reinvented anthemic rock.

Pixies' Doolittle
Review by Heather Phares

After 1988's brilliant but abrasive Surfer Rosa, the Pixies' sound couldn't get much more extreme. Their Elektra debut, Doolittle, reins in the noise in favor of pop songcraft and accessibility. Producer Gil Norton's sonic sheen adds some polish, but Black Francis' tighter songwriting focuses the group's attack. Doolittle's most ferocious moments, like "Dead," a visceral retelling of David and Bathsheba's affair -- are more stylized than the group's past outbursts. Meanwhile, their poppy side surfaces on the irresistible single "Here Comes Your Man" and the sweetly surreal love song "La La Love You." The Pixies' arty, noisy weirdness mix with just enough hooks to produce gleefully demented singles like "Debaser," -- inspired by Bunuel's classic surrealist short Un Chien Andalou -- and "Wave of Mutilation," their surfy ode to driving a car into the sea. Though Doolittle's sound is cleaner and smoother than the Pixies' earlier albums, there are still plenty of weird, abrasive vignettes: the blankly psychotic "There Goes My Gun," "Crackity Jones," a song about a crazy roommate Francis had in Puerto Rico, and the nihilistic finale "Gouge Away." Meanwhile, "Tame," and "I Bleed" continue the Pixies' penchant for cryptic kink. But the album doesn't just refine the Pixies' sound; they also expand their range on the brooding, wannabe spaghetti western theme "Silver" and the strangely theatrical "Mr. Grieves." "Hey" and "Monkey Gone to Heaven," on the other hand, stretch Francis' lyrical horizons: "Monkey"'s elliptical environmentalism and "Hey"'s twisted longing are the Pixies' versions of message songs and romantic ballads. Their most accessible album, Doolittle's wide-ranging moods and sounds make it one of their most eclectic and ambitious. A fun, freaky alternative to most other late-'80s college rock, it's easy to see why the album made the Pixies into underground rock stars.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:13 am

Radiohead ;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Old_Style » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:48 am

i honestly never heard of the pixies until i started going out with this chick, a couple years ago, who was into them. so, because of that, i starting listening to them. despite all that, the bend's wins this one. ;-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:14 am

Tough one, since I like both bands, and the Pixies are probably more influential... but Radiohead is awesome and The Bends is my favorite album of theirs. ;-D
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BritSox » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:25 am

Aaargh....ummmm....ooooh.... both great albums, but I'm pushing The Bends to go a long way. I listen to it most days, and learnt half the songs on guitar. Radiohead. ;-D
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:09 am

Radiohead. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:18 am

BritSox wrote:Aaargh....ummmm....ooooh.... both great albums, but I'm pushing The Bends to go a long way. I listen to it most days, and learnt half the songs on guitar. Radiohead. ;-D

didn't you thought it would be close?

but I'm a creep....

oh, wrong album? :*)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ThatDude » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:50 am

Since both of these albums and bands are pretty much completely off my radar, I'll throw my vote with the underdog. Not that it matters.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:56 am

Radiohead is going to run away with this so I've got to give Pixies my vote. If you haven't heard them go give them a listen.

You might have even heard them before. "Where is My Mind" from Surfer Rosa plays at the end of Fight Club.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby ironman » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:47 am

This sucks. Both these albums destroy half the stuff in this battle and they face off in the first round.

Hey, it's nice to be the one that gets to complain about this stuff for a change.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Next

Return to General Talk