BMRA-Round 1-The Joshua Tree vs. Stunt - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BMRA-Round 1-The Joshua Tree vs. Stunt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which one?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:37 am

The Joshua Tree
97%
Stunt
3%

Total votes : 29

BMRA-Round 1-The Joshua Tree vs. Stunt

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:37 am

U2's The Joshua Tree
Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Using the textured sonics of The Unforgettable Fire as a basis, U2 expanded those innovations by scaling back the songs to a personal setting and adding a grittier attack for its follow-up, The Joshua Tree. It's a move that returns them to the sweeping, anthemic rock of War, but if War was an exploding political bomb, The Joshua Tree is a journey through its aftermath, trying to find sense and hope in the desperation. That means that even the anthems -- the epic opener "Where the Streets Have No Name," the yearning "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" -- have seeds of doubt within their soaring choruses, and those fears take root throughout the album, whether it's in the mournful sliding acoustic guitars of "Running to Stand Still," the surging "One Tree Hill," or the hypnotic elegy "Mothers of the Disappeared." So it might seem a little ironic that U2 became superstars on the back of such a dark record, but their focus has never been clearer, nor has their music been catchier, than on The Joshua Tree. Unexpectedly, U2 have also tempered their textural post-punk with American influences. Not only are Bono's lyrics obsessed with America, but country and blues influences are heard throughout the record, and instead of using these as roots, they're used as ways to add texture to the music. With the uniformly excellent songs -- only the clumsy, heavy rock and portentous lyrics of "Bullet the Blue Sky" fall flat -- the result is a powerful, uncompromising record that became a hit due to its vision and its melody. Never before have U2's big messages sounded so direct and personal.

Barenaked Ladies' Stunt
Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

By trying to mask their smart-ass humor in a big pop production, the Barenaked Ladies attempt to set themselves up for the big crossover that they nearly achieved with such past singles as "Be My Yoko Ono" and "Brian Wilson." Nothing on Stunt, the group's fourth studio album, is so clearly jokey (although "Alcohol" comes close), but they still rely on clever satire. That may irritate some listeners who would otherwise be won over by the group's increased musical skill. Never before has the band been able to pull off so many different styles, from jangly pop and alt-country to loungy bossa nova, so well. Musically, it could convince the doubters who have written off Barenaked Ladies as novelty pranksters, but the lyrics still will stand in the way of trad-rockers predisposed to this style of music. Of course, listeners who are a little less uptight will find Stunt to be a fine collegiate party record and one of the best albums the Barenaked Ladies have released.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:40 am

The Joshua Tree = Great Rock Album. U2 easily. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:12 am

Are you little school girls?? Barenaked ladies??
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:13 am

acsguitar wrote:Are you little school girls?? Barenaked ladies??

Me? 8-o

<====U2's biggest supporter
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Old_Style » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:37 am

No contest. U2
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:46 am

Barenaked Ladies, why? I'm going to take the winner of this competition with a huge grain of salt with quite the number of patsies considered.

U2 should win this battle easily, but there's no way I'm voting for them. I greatly dislike U2. :-P

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby BritSox » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:31 am

One of the best albums ever vs a bunch of Gimmicky Canadians?

Man. :-°
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby knapplc » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:42 am

Top seeds play lower seeds early in tournaments. Why the shock over this matchup? :-?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BritSox » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:44 am

knapplc wrote:Top seeds play lower seeds early in tournaments. Why the shock over this matchup? :-?

Well, apart from those shocked BNL made it at all, mostly it's just a comment on how easy the decision is. When it's easy, we say so, when it's hard, we say so. It's not shock. Apart from the few diehard metalheads annoyed that Deicide didn't get in, or whatever.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:07 am

Not a big fan of U2, but I understand the significance of this album. Also, I have a deep hatred of Barenaked Ladies ( :-P ).
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk