Top Prospects Based On Potential - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Top Prospects Based On Potential

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby oddmanout7 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:44 pm

A long long ways off, but could be a stud...

Baseball Prospectus
2. Angel Villalona, 3b
DOB: 8/13/90
Height/Weight: 6-3/210
Bats/Throws: R/R
Signed: 2006, Dominican Republic
What he did in 2006: Signed a contract three days after his 16th birthday that included a $2.1 million bonus.
The Good: Absolute man-child and the top international prospect of the year. Already has plus-plus power to all fields and advanced pitch recognition. Good fielder with soft hands and a plus arm. Even an above-average runner.
The Bad: Um, he's 16! There will obviously be some weaknesses in his game, but we won't know what they are until they are exposed. At his age and his size, he could easily outgrow third base, but he's athletic enough where the backup plan is right field instead of first base.
The Irrelevant: International scouts saw Villalona hit a 400-foot home run with a wooden bat . . . when he was 13.
In a Perfect World, He Becomes: The sky is the limit, though Villalona is still on the ground. Whispers of the next Miguel Cabrera are understandable at this point.
Gap Between What He is Now, And What He Can Be: Very High – Again, he's 16. The Giants won't reveal their plans for Villalona, but all signs point to either a slow introduction to professional baseball with a year in the Dominican Summer League, or a half season in the Arizona Rookie League.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Hurt CPOY 06 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:56 am

oddmanout7 wrote:A long long ways off, but could be a stud...

Baseball Prospectus
2. Angel Villalona, 3b
DOB: 8/13/90
Height/Weight: 6-3/210
Bats/Throws: R/R
Signed: 2006, Dominican Republic
What he did in 2006: Signed a contract three days after his 16th birthday that included a $2.1 million bonus.
The Good: Absolute man-child and the top international prospect of the year. Already has plus-plus power to all fields and advanced pitch recognition. Good fielder with soft hands and a plus arm. Even an above-average runner.
The Bad: Um, he's 16! There will obviously be some weaknesses in his game, but we won't know what they are until they are exposed. At his age and his size, he could easily outgrow third base, but he's athletic enough where the backup plan is right field instead of first base.
The Irrelevant: International scouts saw Villalona hit a 400-foot home run with a wooden bat . . . when he was 13.
In a Perfect World, He Becomes: The sky is the limit, though Villalona is still on the ground. Whispers of the next Miguel Cabrera are understandable at this point.
Gap Between What He is Now, And What He Can Be: Very High – Again, he's 16. The Giants won't reveal their plans for Villalona, but all signs point to either a slow introduction to professional baseball with a year in the Dominican Summer League, or a half season in the Arizona Rookie League.

;-D Can't wait to see him develop.
The Big Hurt was robbed!

Big Hurt CPOY 06
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stealthdevil » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:01 pm

A couple more to watch:

Deolis Guerra
Esmailyn Gonzalez
Neftali Perez
Johnny Cueto
stealthdevil
College Coach
College Coach

Neftali Perez and Johnny Cueto

Postby TEAM SCHMEGMA » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:50 pm

I know nothing about them. What are their positions, ages, ceilings, etc.??
TEAM SCHMEGMA
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby stealthdevil » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:33 pm

stealthdevil wrote:A couple more to watch:

Deolis Guerra
Esmailyn Gonzalez
Neftali Feliz
Johnny Cueto

Guerra tore through the Mets Low A league last season. He's only 17 signed out of one of those south of the border locations. Very High Ceiling, I believe he's already considered a top 10 prospect for the Mets. Starting Pitcher. http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/st ... ?id=500610

Esmailyn Gonzalez signed last july with much hype. Short Stop. I've heard Miggy Tejada comparisons w/ a better glove. He was 16 when he signed. No ceiling for Esmailyn. He'll start out in the Nationals Rookie League this coming season.

Neftali Feliz (not Perez, my bad) Braves Starting Pitcher. Played in the GCL Rookie League last season. He's 18ish I believe. Here's a blog entry from a Brave's fan. I have heard that he hit 98 on radar.
Great arm. About as good as you can ask for. Easy low-to-mid 90's heat. I think he throws a slider too, but it's not very good right now. He had very good stuff in the GCL, but he was also hit around a little when he left the ball up in the zone (27% LD% higher than league average). That's unsurprising for an inexperienced player. He's still somewhat of a project, and as mentioned earlier needs some work with his breaking pitches. But he has about as good an arm as you can wish to work with.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/st ... ?id=491703

Johnny Cueto- another young import. SP for Cincy.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/st ... ?id=456501
http://redlegnation.com/2006/06/27/nice ... nny-cueto/
stealthdevil
College Coach
College Coach

Postby boston fan » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:56 pm

Lars Anderson
Scouting Report: Large, powerful slugger with high power ceiling. Athletic for his size, plays first base well. Likely would have been an early-to-mid second round pick if not for high bonus demands.
MLB Comparison: Justin Morneau

Comes from http://www.soxprospects.com
boston fan
College Coach
College Coach

Lars Anderson Football?

Postby james2266 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:12 pm

Will Lars Anderson be in baseball at all? Every single reference I find for him states he is going the football route. He has no stats listed on minorleaguebaseball.com either. Can anyone confirm he is going the baseball route 100%? I am looking for a top future slugger 1b for my minor leagues in a salary cap league. If anyone has any other names that might not be too known, let me know. Every team can hold at up to 10 minors each so the top guys are gone already. Thanks in advance for anybody's help.
james2266
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Lars Anderson Football?

Postby rmande09 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:14 pm

james2266 wrote:Will Lars Anderson be in baseball at all? Every single reference I find for him states he is going the football route. He has no stats listed on minorleaguebaseball.com either. Can anyone confirm he is going the baseball route 100%? I am looking for a top future slugger 1b for my minor leagues in a salary cap league. If anyone has any other names that might not be too known, let me know. Every team can hold at up to 10 minors each so the top guys are gone already. Thanks in advance for anybody's help.

He did not sign until late August, which is why you don't see any stats, and he signed a pretty good deal which means he will be in baseball.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Any others?

Postby james2266 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:10 pm

Thanks for the info. I just added Lars. Hope he pans out. SHould be fuin to watch tho. Anybody else got any unknown names? Anybody got any reads on the next Felix Hernandez for instance? Doubt we'll see another like him for a while but I'm curious. Thanks again guys.
james2266
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:44 am

J35J wrote:......just a quick few...

Tyler Clippard SP
Sean Gallagher SP
Troy Patton SP
Tony Sipp SP (A little old... )
Dana Eveland SP
Justin Orenduff SP

Miguel Montero C
Max Ramirez C
Angel Salome C

Chris Carter 1B
Kala Kaaihue 1B

Marcus Sanders 2B

Eric Campbell 3B

Jason

Hehe, wasn't he asking for guys with potential ;-7 .

I'll add Carlos Gomez, Jeremy Jeffress, and Dellin Betances.

Keep a close watch on David Price and Andrew Brackman in the college ranks this year. Those two should be worth instant adds the second they become available in most minors heavy formats.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball