What's your keeper league like? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's your keeper league like?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's your keeper league like?

Postby MotorCityKitties » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:28 pm

I'm going to start a keeper/dynasty league soon, but before I do I would like to hear about the format of some of your leagues.

-What do you like about your leagues?

-How do you handle the minors/minors draft?

-How many keepers?

-What categories?

-And anyhing else that might be helpful.

Thanks in advance
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Smileyman9 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:25 am

At the moment I'm in a roto 12 team, 10 player keeper league which has now been in existance for about 5 years now.

Currently our stats are:
Runs, Singles, Doubles, Triples, HRs, RBIs, BA, OPS, SB
Wins, Holds, Saves. Ks, Taken Bases, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, CG

As far as those stats in particular...they work well, at one point we had Field % or Errors worked in...that was disliked, thus it was removed.

We also just made an innings cap this past season to prevent people from padding retroactive stats (mostly Ws and Ks). I'm still mixed on this being necessary as we have things like Taken Bases, ERA, WHIP, K/BB that should prevent owners from making weird starts for the sake of Ks and Ws.

Reasoning for 10 Keepers: Allows owners to build for the future long after they've been eliminated from contention. This of course has been countered by those looking to lower keepers with the theory that it allows owners to create powerhouse squads. Personally, I think if you want to win...you can win - new guys break out every year...

Minors: We're currently looking into starting one up, at this rate not this season.

Things to be careful about; Make sure you have solid owners in place...or at least keep an eye on owners not pulling weight. I can say that it really sucks when you finally get rid of a dead owner after 2 years only to see that the poor smuck taking over has to cope with an old injury riddled squad of has beens.

I think that's about it.
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Mugrila » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:14 am

Our league is set up to be as simple as possible. We have 10 teams, h2h, with R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, TB, AVG, W, L, SV, ERA, WHIP, K/BB.

We keep 6 guys and currently have a minor league system (5 guys) that we are slowly narrowing down to only one or two. I like 5-6 keepers because each team can hold a few key guys but there is still plenty of talent left in the draft; this makes the draft important for success.

There is a variety of interest level in our leauge which goes from guys like me who check at least once or twice a day to guys who set their rosters for three days at a time. Keeping all the rules and keeper systems simple we have managed to keep everything running smoothly and everyone involved.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Re: What's your keeper league like?

Postby RynMan » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:18 am

MotorCityKitties wrote:I'm going to start a keeper/dynasty league soon, but before I do I would like to hear about the format of some of your leagues.

-What do you like about your leagues?

-How do you handle the minors/minors draft?

-How many keepers?

-What categories?

-And anyhing else that might be helpful.

Thanks in advance

MCK - We are in the 2nd year of our keeper league. The setup was based on a league from a fellow cafe member who used the contract year system (basically you have a set number of years that you can allocate). We have modified it alot to incorporate a 5 player minors roster aswell. We have the whole thing as best as possible in a Microsoft Word file - if you want a copy, PM me. Its a great format and we are still ironing out minor details etc.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers