second and third overall pick in minor draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

second and third overall pick in minor draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

second and third overall pick in minor draft

Postby AEMRICH » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:46 pm

which two should i take Kei Igawa, Evan Longoria, or Yovani Gallardo. This is the second year of the league so the top guys like delmon young, alex gordon and such are gone. Some other options are Joey Votto, Jose Tabata, Luke Hochevar, Fernando Martinez, Todd Lincecum, Elijah Dukes, Reid Brignac, Nick Adenhart, Colby Rasmus, Josh Fields, Travis Buck, Clayton Kershaw, Donald Veal, Elvis Andruss, Wes Bankston, Jacob Ellsbury, Brandon Erbe. Could use some insight on this, mostly know names of minor leaguers but have no idea on their potential
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nathan050904 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Well first of all Igawa shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breathe as most of the other guys in this post. The two guys I like the most out of all the names mentioned based on quicker impact (get to the majors quicker) and the highest ceiling combined would have to be Yovani Gallardo and Evan Longoria. However, based on overall potential ignoring ETA (Estimate Time of Arrival to the Majors) I would take Fernando Martinez and Yovani Gallardo. I like Martinez ceiling more then Longoria although some may differ in opinino but, I think most people here would agree with Gallardo as one of the deffinate choices. If you want to take two pitchers I'd look at Lincecum if you want a quick impact with high ceiling or Kershaw based on ceiling alone. I like Kershaw more then Lincecum.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ChipperJonesFanatic » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:49 pm

I personally would take Evan Longoria and Yovani Gallardo. They are going to be absolute studs one day
ChipperJonesFanatic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby amr120402 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:01 pm

im also in the 3rd year redraft of a minor league system that is expanding rosters from 8 to 12 and players seem pretty much the same i picked 5th and 6th and was able to get pence and gallardo. Longoria went 2nd and wes bankston went first. Dont ask about bankston probably the worst pick of any draft ive ever seen. I'd def go with gallardo and longoria with longoria ahead of gallardo. And i agree with the other guy igawa shouldnt even be mentioned.
amr120402
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Koby Schellenger » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:10 pm

ChipperJonesFanatic wrote:I personally would take Evan Longoria and Yovani Gallardo. They are going to be absolute studs one day

I agree with this. There are prospects that are better (Fernando Martinez) but have a lot of development to do which means later ETA. I like to take my chances with guys that are further along in their development so I've seen more of them and they aren't such a long term investment.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dicehound » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:13 pm

Gallardo is probably one of the top three pitching prospects in the minors and is most likely ticketed to the majors at some point in 2007. Longoria, while awesome in his own right, is probably at least a year or two away. I would definitely take Gallardo.
dicehound
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:35 am

dicehound wrote:Gallardo is probably one of the top three pitching prospects in the minors and is most likely ticketed to the majors at some point in 2007. Longoria, while awesome in his own right, is probably at least a year or two away. I would definitely take Gallardo.

Longoria will be either a September call-up or be on the team in ST in 2008.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby nathan050904 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:36 am

deerayfan072 wrote: Longoria will be either a September call-up or be on the team in ST in 2008.

I completely agree. Every report I've read has this guy pegged for 2007 or 2008. I tend to believe that with the new management in Tampa and the chances they gave to Delmon Young and B.J. Upton speaks volumes that they aren't afraid to bring up their prospects when they are ready. A little bit of time in AAA this year and I think Longoria will be MLB ready.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CT Smash » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:23 pm

Regarding Longoria, where will he most likely play if and when called up in 2007, what with the several players/prospects (Guzman, Upton, Cantu, etc.) for the handful of available positions?
CT Smash
College Coach
College Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:29 pm

CT Smash wrote:Regarding Longoria, where will he most likely play if and when called up in 2007, what with the several players/prospects (Guzman, Upton, Cantu, etc.) for the handful of available positions?

Longoria will play 2B.

Guzman is going to play 1B down in Durham and also play OF and 3rd.

Upton will be traded or moved to OF.

Cantu will be gone after this year, he is not in there future plans. The future IF will look like this:

1B- Guzman/Bankston
2B- Longoira
SS- Brignac
3B- Iwamura
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball