Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby roninmedia » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:47 pm

Really the only difference is the playoff factor. Like in real sports, if you can get away with it, your team can sleepwalk its way to the playoffs. Once you're in and you can turn it on and win the whole thing. I think the real issue is many players fear most of their good work is broken or reaffirmed could be decided in such a season. However, a good fantasy football player realizes the playoffs are there and build their teams for the regular season and playoffs. You know you have playoffs so you prepare for it.

Thats why we say some real teams are "built for the playoffs". Obviously we see stuff like "Offense sells tickets, Defense wins championships".

Case in point, the St. Louis Cardinals. I know there is grumbling about how the Cardinals got lucky, played in a sh*tty division. But we still acknowledge them as World Series Champs. Or how about the Miami Heat?
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lordrevolution » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:19 am

I think you guys are giving fantasy football a bad rap. Yes it is more of a sprint, yes it does put more pressure on having a good draft then assembling your team during the season, and sometimes some guys just get lucky.
But I've been playing both fantasy sports for a few years now, and they're both what I like to call "educated gambling." Every year a few guys will do better or worse then predicted, and it's your job to figure out who those guys are so you can grab or avoid them as the case goes. Having a guy like LT is just like having a guy like Pujols in the long run, you can always pencil in those points. You draft a stud, then he's a stud; if Manning's your QB you don't have to worry about that possition except for one week. If Johan's your SP1 you don't have to worry about starting him. Claiming that one guy wins automatically is bush league.
I play in three fantasy football leagues (redraft, keeper, and dynasty) and if you're playing with competative guys, the guy with LT isn't gona win every week. In fact in two of my leagues (keeper and redraft) the guy with LT just missed out on the playoffs (actually in keeper he was a few games out, since he traded away most of his team to get LT and was stuck starting waiver type QBs and WRs), cause the rest of their teams were pretty crappy.
And yeah, sometimes a guy will go off seemingly out of nowhere. But if you remember last year, some guy named Anibal Sanchez (or whatever, he's in AAA now) threw a no hitter. Does that have as much of an impact? Depends on your league. Having an unknown like Marrion Barber get you two TDs doesn't do you much good if your team is already winning by a few.

My two cents.
Lordrevolution
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:25 am

Yoda wrote:
Athrun340 wrote:
Yoda wrote:I stopped playing fantasy football a few years ago when I dominated the regular/post season and then all my starters got benched in the finals and lost. It's stupid.

commish abuse?

No in real life my top players were playoff bound and they were benched the last two games. I think I had an injury or two also.

If someone misses a game on your team due to whatever reason, then it kills your entire week since you can't make up the loss. Of course the same thing applies to your opponent but still. It's just based on too much luck.

That's why having the finals during week 17 is a no-no. If you ever play again, have them during week 16.

I like fantasy baseball much more than football. In football, you could technically just wake up on Sunday, set your roster, and then walk away for another week. Maybe spend a few minutes checking the WW.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby os_gamejunkie » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:29 am

Baseball > Football

1] Season is longer which makes it more enjoyable.
2] More challenging. If you had LT on your team you should have won it all...if not you did something wrong.
3] Injuries kill you in fantasy football, not so much in baseball. Last year I had 12 injuries (including Derrek Lee) and finished 2nd.
4] Trades seem more active in baseball. In fact, I don't think I ever made a football trade.
5] Call-ups!
6] I love stats...sabermetrics and stuff like "contact rate" is really interesting to me.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The River » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:46 am

Baseball is 10x as more challenging than Football Fantasy Wise just based on the fact of the 10-12 more positions you have to draft. Football is very clear cut--there are rarely any shocking players and career years don't stand out as much compared to Baseball, where it is much more difficult to tell a career year from a blossiming one.
The River
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:11 pm

As sports, I prefer football to baseball, largely because of the reasons chad stated. There are more variables that come into play in a football game. Everyone has to be on the same page and everything has to go right for a play to work.

As fantasy, I prefer baseball slightly over football. Most fantasy players, myself included, love stats. There are far more stats in baseball than there are in football. You can basically look at 2 stats in football to tell their value. Yards and TDs. In baseball, you can have a guy hit 40 HRs and have 110 RBIs, but his BA could suck. You can have a guy have 120 Rs and 50 SBs, but his HRs and RBI numbers could be horrible. There are different types of players at the various different positions. While the same is true for football, it's not even close to the extent that it is at baseball.

Rosters are much larger in baseball and that is another reason why it can be more fun than football. More players to watch. There are 162 games in baseball as opposed to only 17 in football. More games to watch.

However, these people that claim football is a joke compared to baseball because of the 17 games compared to 162 games apparently haven't been caught up to speed on the differences of the game. News Flash: Football is a contact sport. Baseball is not. There is a reason why football players get a week's rest between games and baseball players play every day. Football is more physically taxing. I love baseball, but there are far too many players who take it easy during games and treat it like a job instead of a sport. In football, you'd be killed if you did that. It's 100% all the time in football (unless you're Randy Moss). It's only 100% in baseball when you're a pitcher, you're a baserunner like Sizemore or Freel, you're stealing a base, or you're an outfielder running down a fly ball. There are other examples I know, but the fact that I can actually categorically put them down speaks volumes for the differences. You can't do that with football. As soon as that ball is snapped there's no jogging. That's why I prefer football, as a sport, over baseball.

Don't tell anyone on the LightSide what I said about liking fantasy baseball more than fantasy football.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:39 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Don't tell anyone on the LightSide what I said about liking fantasy baseball more than fantasy football.

It's going in my sig over there.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:52 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Don't tell anyone on the LightSide what I said about liking fantasy baseball more than fantasy football.

It's going in my sig over there.

I will deny everything. !+)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers