Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sportsaddict » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:39 pm

I'm a big fan of both, for many reasons...

Every Sunday in fantasy football is ten times more exciting than any fantasy baseball day is, because all your players are going, and there's nothing more exciting than seeing your running back run for a 50 yard touchdown or see your QB throw for 4 TDs.

However, I like the fact that fantasy baseball is won over the long haul and is more of a marathon. It's more refreshing to see your team win over the entire season as opposed to football where you can get pretty lucky and win it all. Plus, baseball is played every day, so you can watch any day of the week.

All in all, I'm a huge fan of fantasy football and fantasy baseball. However, I give the nod to fantasy baseball because you really have to keep up over the entire season.

If we're not talking fantasy, I enjoy watching the NFL more than watching baseball. NFL Sunday football is the best it gets. But if I had to rate my favorite sports to watch, College Basketball is my favorite, followed by the NFL, then MLB, then college football...
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Oatsdad » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:48 pm

I prefer baseball, partially because it's my favorite sport, but mainly because something happens EVERY DAY! With football, there's only activity a couple days a week, but with baseball, I can watch fortunes rise and fall every day.

And the guy who said there's more luck involved with baseball it nuts. One freak injury can ruin your season in football, but that's not gonna happen in baseball...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Zhangman1 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:12 am

Football has the added excitement that in one day, everyone plays so you know how you did and everyone else. plus, with only 16 games, its a bit of a crap shoot at times but much faster paced.

its been said before, but baseball is a long term project where football is a sprint. in baseball, one injury or a bad draft won't kill your team. but a bad draft (culpepper) or an injury just kills any chance you have.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby DVauthrin » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:06 am

I prefer the predictability of baseball players especially on the health side. I can't tell you how irritating it is to not get a good read on a players health status prior to sunday. For example, this past year I owned westbrook, who was awesome. But there was a monday night game vs green bay where it was announced he couldn't go in the walkthrough. It was my fault for not having buckhalter but he was fine the two weeks prior and was supposedly feeling fine all week.

NFL coaches and the idiotic notion it helps them in gameplanning by not being forthcoming about injuries is why I prefer baseball. Especially when I am a volunteer at a church sunday mornings which really hinders me being able to get last minute injury info.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:39 pm

I'd say that I like both equally but they are extremely different games. Here's my reasons for each:

With football the season is really short (few games) so every game is really important. Plus the added waiting between each game only adds to the tension and excitement. I find football better to watch than baseball anyways. To me there is that underlying bit of luck as mentioned that is needed to win a fantasy football league. One week wonders can make or break your season. One of my favorite parts about FF is that the owner has to make tough decisions about who to start every week. Unlike baseball you have the whole week to weigh things in your mind and make the right decision. I know everyone hates it when they bench WR who got 3 TDs but it feels awesome when the guy you pick blows up. The last thing is come playoffs it doesn't matter what happened in the season. It's one day to decide the fate of your team. Now with Football the draft is probably 60-70% of your season maybe more. I probably put more work into draft prep then I do for the entire season. I find the drafts slightly more exciting that way.

Now with baseball it's almost the complete opposite. With tons of games each game means much less. On the flip side you have a much better sense of player's performance (with stats) and there is much less luck involved. Since baseball is a game of stats I feel that it requires a greater degree of intelligence. Unlike football, some bonehead can't just draft LT and win the pool. To win in baseball you have to not only be able to sift through the enormous pool of MLBers as well as prospects, but you have to successfully manage your roster for the entire season. There are constantly call-ups or closer changes, etc. The draft suddenly doesn't mean so much. I put way more time into the season than into the draft, way more. I know this year in one pool I had an absolutely awful draft. I started the first 3 1/2 weeks in dead last and I thought I was done. Even other people said i was finished. But through meticulous scouring of waivers and lots of trades I've vaulted myself back into the top 5 and I'm in the race. To me, that is extremely satisfying and the essence of Fantasy baseball: seeing your hard work not pay off immediately, but in the long run.

Wow, that was long

:-°
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:00 pm

I stopped playing fantasy football a few years ago when I dominated the regular/post season and then all my starters got benched in the finals and lost. It's stupid.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Athrun340 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:11 pm

Yoda wrote:I stopped playing fantasy football a few years ago when I dominated the regular/post season and then all my starters got benched in the finals and lost. It's stupid.

commish abuse?
Athrun340
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Athrun340 wrote:
Yoda wrote:I stopped playing fantasy football a few years ago when I dominated the regular/post season and then all my starters got benched in the finals and lost. It's stupid.

commish abuse?

No in real life my top players were playoff bound and they were benched the last two games. I think I had an injury or two also.

If someone misses a game on your team due to whatever reason, then it kills your entire week since you can't make up the loss. Of course the same thing applies to your opponent but still. It's just based on too much luck.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby brewcrew4you » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:27 pm

Football is so much more centered on the draft. While its a lot of fun, the waiver wire is where you can make your moves in fantasy baseball, and that's what makes a site like this so much fun ;-D .

I mean really, think about how many footballers came out of nowhere last year to score big points...
Marques Colston is about the only one that comes to mind. Samkon Gado maybe, and Vince Young (if you didn't think he was going to be any good).

In baseball you had hitters (HanRam, Uggla, Atkins, etc.) and pitchers (Arroyo, Harang, Bush, etc.) that were major contributors pretty much out of nowhere.

Also, the longer season allows you to ride flashes in the pan - Chris Shelton, Hamilton, etc. When a footballer comes out of nowhere to have a big game, by the time you have him for the next week, he's sucking already
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tgalv » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:31 pm

i agree completely with the original post. fantasy football is like fantasy sports for lazy idiots. i still play but its such a crapshoot it's laughable. the small number of games, luck of how many points your opponent scores in those games, luck of your players getting the ball thrown to them, luck of how many times your running back comes out while some scrub pounds it in the endzone from the 1 yard line.

take last year for example. a few bad draft picks and some bad luck and i finished in the bottom third of the league despite not having that many fewer points than the guys who finished at the top.

but had i had a top draft pick and picked LT which i would have, and replace LT on my roster with my late first round pick(crapshoot picks) (ronnie brown) and i all of a sudden have the most total points in the entire league. it's stupid. might as well just flip some coins at the beginning of the year and determine the winner that way.

and it seems like from my experience that unless you have a ton of bench spots you end up getting burned if you draft a bunch of "sleepers" that you think could put up numbers.

you're sitting there waiting for lee suggs to emerge, meanwhile some idiot who didn't know the players after the 5th round of the draft concluded, is dumping his worthless players for all these people that emerge every year, just because they are getting primo opportunities to score points, not even necessarily because they have any talent.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers