Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:19 pm

I prefer fantasy baseball more over fantasy football. In general, following baseball is a year-round deal that just seems to be more involving that football can ever be. In November and December, it's fun to come up with rankings and projections for the upcoming year and also keeping an eye on Winter ball for any further developments on certain players/prospects. In addition, at this time of year, it's fun practice to figure out how trades and acquisitions will impact the way certain players perform. In January and February, it's an opportune time to participate in mock drafts and auctions. In March and April is where the lion's share of drafts and auctions take place while keeping an eye on Spring Training. From then on, it's just a marathon run up until October and the whole process comes full circle.

I think fantasy football is exciting in the way that it's an event each Sunday, whereas baseball is a daily grind through Spring into the Dog Days of Summer and so, the fact that baseball is a grind sort of strips the "mystique" behind the game. There tends to be higher risk variance in fantasy football. For instance, your first round pick in football is more likely not to pan out for you as opposed to fantasy baseball. So, when you consider that there's quite a dropoff from LaDainian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson to Edgerrin James, Lamont Jordan, Cadillac Williams, and Willis McGahee, then it's likely your team could've been rather unstable if you built your team around the latter 4 RB's. You'll still get a good ROI out of the likes of a Vlad Guerrero or Mark Teixeira, even if they were a bit underwhelming over the course of the season.

As for the overplayed Roto vs. H2H debate, again, to each his own. I like playing H2H because the challenge is different from week to week, as you face another opponent for a week. No matter the format, there has to be luck involved in either one, but it's just that in Roto, the luck factor tends to flatten out in a way such that statistical precision/balance becomes that much more important under the backdrop of a cumulative scoring system.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

The ultimate Fantasy Question [b]Football vs Baseball[/b????

Postby cwrtlm » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:30 pm

Ok I know this is Baseball season and this is the baseball side of the cafe, but which type of fantasy sport do you like best and why?
Thus far I have to say that for overall length and fun baseball is better b/c there are more games spread out over more of a season.
I personally prefer Football b/c I think there is more of an impact of matchups where as baseball seems more about luck. I play in a fantasy baseball weekly H2H points league. My team looks to be stacked from every aspect yet I am still losing out b/c of inconsistent play from my guys. This year in Football I had a team that was undefeated every week and killed all the way through the playoffs. I had good subs and looked at the matchups every week and played them right. Manning was my only real superstar on that team and you could argue he had a down year this year in comparison to recent years. The only downside to Football is it is over too soon and most of the games are in a short time period.
Overall I really like Football better but have enjoyed baseball thus far as well. I will continue to play and maybe if my team turns it on down the stretch they can change my mind.
So come on tear me to shreds and give your answers and reasons. Lets make this a huge thread!!!!!!!
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: The ultimate Fantasy Question [b]Football vs Baseball[/b

Postby Mugrila » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:45 pm

cwrtlm wrote:I personally prefer Football b/c I think there is more of an impact of matchups where as baseball seems more about luck.

There's a stance you don't see everyday; more luck involved in baseball?

Remember, we're not even half way through the season yet; luck will only be a small factor as over time the best teams will rise to the top. You're also playing H2H, take up roto and you won't be talking about more luck in FBB.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby MTUCache » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:50 pm

After several years of playing both, I've come to regard them as completely different... assuming you're playing some type of roto, or categorical baseball game. Baseball-points leagues aren't too different than football.

Major points of football:
- A lot of luck involved. There's only 16 games, and one injury can demolish your roster.
- Heavily draft dependant. (Again, length of season.)
- Heavily weighted towards one position. (Running Back)
- Very little WW or free-agent movement, and only a handful of blockbuster trades during the season.
- Much less payoff for research/activity after the draft.

Major points of baseball:
- A lot more skill involved.
- A lot more WW/trade dependant.
- Research/Activity is strongly rewarded. Deadbeat owners quickly fall to the bottom.
- Injuries can hurt your team, but are generally able to be overcome.

Honestly, with as much research as I put into my football drafts over the last few seasons, I'm dissapointed if I don't get in the top 3 assuming I don't suffer a QB/RB injury during the season. It's honestly that easy... even with the same guys in my football pool. You get a Value-Based-Draft board set up around your league's point-system, and you'll generally beat 75% of the rest of the teams (again, assuming no injuries).

So far, a quarter of the way into the season, I've put in easily twice as much work as I put into football, and there is a ton of work still to be done. I'm currently in third place, and everyday is a struggle to maintain that position. The parody in a 10 team league, with 9 of them competitively involved, is just staggering. I could easily fall down to 7th or 8th with just two bad weeks.

Assuming the same crowd of guys in both leagues, no matter what anybody says, I think it takes a lot more effort, research, and work to win a baseball league. You could take a team of virtually nothing (no draft at all), and turn it into a contender through timely pickups, trades, and roster moves. On the other side, you can completely luck your way into football championship as long as you don't hamstring yourself in the draft.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cwrtlm » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:01 pm

Like I said, I haven't played Roto yet only basing my sample on a weekly H2H points league. Thus far yes, I think there is more luck involved in this style of Fantasy Baseball vs. Football.
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Athrun340 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:15 pm

Fantasy Football!! because its the best .. imagine every sunday .. your TV is turn on watching the game while your computer is on NFL.com tracking how your guys doing on that day .. its the best feeling ever

short season = more excitement IMO compare to baseball .. football is not really about luck if you did your research ..

draft peyton manning then you wont have the problem of dropped passes or OL

peace
Athrun340
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Athrun340 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:17 pm

KOSTAS wrote:
Morrison8312 wrote:If you have LT you're almost guarenteed to finish Top 2

Funny, but in our 12 team Yahoo league, the LT owner finished with the top overall record but fell out of the money in the 4 team playoff. He lost the semi and the consolation game. It's mostly funny cause I beat him in the semi's and went on to win the title. All on the heels of Mr. Stephan Jackson baby!!

It's all about week's 15 and 16 when it comes right down to it.

exactly .. i played in 2 leagues last year both finished 1st in regular season but fell out in the first playoff game.. my teams finished 3rd and 4th respectively .. tsk tsk i was so pissed LOL .. cant believe the 4th seed beat me haha
Athrun340
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Athrun340 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:18 pm

J35J wrote:

When I read this I just thought that this guy isn't a very big baseball fan and doesn't know alot about it...... I could be wrong but thats what I got from this!

Only way I can even remotely take someone serious for liking fantasy football over fantasy baseball is if they are a MUCH bigger fan of football then baseball. If anyone doesn't see that fantasy football is just a blind crap shoot I don't know what to tell ya. Just my opinion though...... no worries!

Jason

the same thing can be said to you .. lets respect everyones opinion

peace
Athrun340
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Athrun340 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:23 pm

Kingctb27 wrote:I like em both, and yes, there is alot more luck involved in FF, but I will take it over baseball due to how long a baseball season lasts.

I play fantasy baseball, football and also basketball... And IMO, neither basketball or baseball come close too football.

It's looking at match-ups, do I start my stud or do I go with my bench guy vs the lions?

It's watching the injury status of your guys throughout the week and picking up players in case they do not play.

It's being able to root for your players on Sunday and Monday nights when you need those 3 td's from Marvin Harrison.

It's watching the greatest game on earth, and cheering on the greatest fantasy team on earth.

It's Fantasy Football.

thats exactly my feelings every sunday and also about basketball and baseball

i tend to get bored when the season is about to end .. i dont really know why... sometimes when theres a new sport that is about to start .. thats when i lose my interest..

its a cycle .. football - basketball - baseball
Athrun340
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cwrtlm » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:33 pm

In a weekly baseball league I think Luck plays alot more of a part than it does in Football. Randy Johnson plays superb one week then the following league after the rosters are already set he decides to pull out of his second start. The following week Colon starts his first start and sucks and now he doesn't pitch his 2nd start. While Johnson is sitting on my bench. In football you seem to have more time to make your decisions on players b/c you have almost all week to gauge their health, unless they're a Patriot.
I think the season in baseball is longer and yet more fun over a longer period, but still can't take the place of Sunday. When you have all your players going and your scoreboard is lighting up like crazy. Or Monday night you have McNabb and the other guy has Frank Gore and your tied. For intense excitement Football has it by a mile.
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers