Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy baseball vs. Fantasy football

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:52 pm

I've learned this year that fantasy football involves a lot more luck than fantasy baseball. Don't get me wrong, you have to do your research for both of them, but baseball is so much more consistent. When you draft a guy in baseball, you are drafting that guy. When you draft a guy in football, that guy depends so much on other guys that it can hurt his production so much more than a change in baseball. If you draft Pujols or A-rod, you draft them. They're alone in the batters box. Every game, they're production is based off if they can perform. In football, when a RB loses guys in his offensive line, his production can decrease a ton. Look at Shaun Alexander. Other than the injury, when he's played, he's not been the Alexander of last year. Not saying he needs to repeat, but the loss of Hutchinson really, really hurt him.

Ways that football players can have their performance hurt by their teammates:
QB:
Dropped passes
OL letting in too many sacks/hurried/knock downs

RB:
OL not blocking
Injury to lineman
Defense so poor giving up points that their team must pass and play catch up most of the time

WR/TE:
QB bad can't get the ball to the receiver

Kicker:
Lack of opportunities can overshadow skill/value

Defense:
Offense can give up turnovers returned for TD's

In fantasy football, everything seems to rely on the other 10 guys on the field.

In fantasy baseball for your hitter, every situation in every game, he's got to hit a ball going across the plate. It doesn't matter if his other teammates got injured. Nobody has ever had a drop off in production because a teammate got hurt (I'm not talking about loss of protection for a batter). It's the pitcher going against that batter.

There is variation for pitchers with ERA, wins, WHIP based off their teammates and how they play defense. This is why I like K/9, BB/9 categories which depend on how the pitcher does and not how his defense backed him.

I'm throwing this out for discussion to see what others think about the differences and if they agree with the points I've made here.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:22 am

I scored the most points in two out my four leagues; second most in another, and I only have one team in the championship game. The other two teams got knocked out by an LT-owned team and this week I play another one. One player will never dominate a baseball league like LT has a fantasy football league.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Mugrila » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:23 am

Those aspects come into play for sure; but I don't feel that they have as much impact as simply basing a whole week's matchup on one game (per player.) In baseball, you get a whole week to accumulate stats; football is one game so it's make or break. You could have the highest scoring team in the league, but if you face teams that have players go off and score an uncharacteristic number of TDs against you, you'll still lose games. I think in only one of my four leagues, the team that finished in 1st place had the highest point total.

Those factors that you listed contribute to the luck factor, but not as much as simply playing one game a week. For instance, if a manager realized SA was losing a pro-bowl guard, he should know not to pick him over LT or LJ. You can somewhat take the team into perspective when doing predraft rankings.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:24 am

Fantasy Football is a sprint while Fantays Baseball is a marathon. ;-D
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby sportsguy138 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:45 am

Thank you, that just made me very happy. :-D

Did you post this on the football side? If not please consider doing so, and hook me up with a link. ;-D

EDIT: Found the topic

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=318032 ;-D
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:04 am

Havok1517 wrote:Fantasy Football is a sprint while Fantays Baseball is a marathon. ;-D

Fantasy Football is more like tripping on the crack in a sidewalk, sometimes you're lucky enough not to fall, sometimes you're unlucky and fall, but it all depends on luck. :-t
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1390)

Postby Morrison8312 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:15 am

If you have LT you're almost guarenteed to finish Top 2
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ChipperJonesFanatic » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:00 am

Morrison8312 wrote:If you have LT you're almost guarenteed to finish Top 2

That is for sure. I drafted LJ over LT :~( but luckily I found the likes of Marques Colston on the WW and now I am in the championship game. ;-D
ChipperJonesFanatic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:12 am

well all of what you said is not true. fantasy baseball certainly does rely on a few things. sure your hitter is in the batter's box alone, but what if he hits a double? you need someone to drive him in, dont you? if your pitcher is on the royals or rockies, their teams also hurt their win totals. And a whole other department is the ballpark adjustment factors..but i so see what you're sayin ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:36 am

Well I agree you're right there's a lot more luck involved in fantasy football, but disagree on the reasoning. Lots of the factors you called 'luck' (like offensive line performance/matchups v. defence/other players on the offence/weather) are actually the kind of thing you can analyze, and there is skill involved in that. Better FFL players I've seen usually put a LOT of research into these kinds of factors.

The biggest difference that accounts for a lot of the luck though is the head-to-head factor. Quite simply, if you are the 2nd highest scorer in your league in any given week, there is a chance you could lose and receive negative credit (an 'L') for your performance; similarly you could be the second-worst performer any given week and somehow still luck out with a W. Your points scored do not always correlate to your standings. Fantasy baseball, on the other hand, your team's own performance will always be reflected in your roto standings, and over the long haul well-researched teams should usually do better. Fantasy football there's often no way to predict who will win the league.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers