Greatest players ever at their position - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Greatest players ever at their position

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:41 pm

I find it hard to believe that Trot Nixon is the 94th best right-fielder of all time.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trot Nixon » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:21 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I find it hard to believe that Trot Nixon is the 94th best right-fielder of all time.
Hey!

By the way...where's Pujols???
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby djacks » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:52 pm

Maddux has been a great pitcher...but #3 all-time is a bit of a stretch.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CadensDad » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:40 am

djacks wrote:Maddux has been a great pitcher...but #3 all-time is a bit of a stretch.

How so?

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:02 am

CadensDad wrote:
djacks wrote:Maddux has been a great pitcher...but #3 all-time is a bit of a stretch.

How so?

Because Pedro, Clemens, Cy Young, Mathewson, and Pete Alexander were all better pitchers. Maddux in my mind might be equal with Seaver though.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:52 am

suppasonic wrote:C-Piazza was far and away the best offensive catcher of all time. Top 3.
1B- Allen seems a little high and banks too low.
2B-Kent higher, Collins not #1.
3B- No major dissagreement
SS- No way is Larkin #2. I think they overrate the modern SS here a little bit except for A-Rod and Ripken.
LF-If you aren't going to severely penalize Bonds, then make him #1. Either you make him #30 or #1. Same with Rose. He is at least better then Raines and Minoso.
CF- While any of the top 4 are really legitimate contenders, I think Mays has to be #1.
RF- Maury Allen had Aaron ranked higher than Ruth. But looks good.

SP- Looks Decentish. Im not sure if I 'd have Wadell, Keefe, and Walsh that high. I'd probably put Pedro and RJ behind guys like Feller, Carlton, and Kofaux. Joss is way too high.

RP- Having the best 3 year span for a reliever doesnt get you into the top 20? Poor Gagne. Otherwise it looks good. Benitez too high.

Are you really arguing that Gagne should be higher on an all-time relievers list?? :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby suppasonic » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:19 am

Yes. I think if you have the best 3 years ever at your position, even with little longevity (See: Koufax), you deserve higher then guys who pitched decently for a very long time.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby mak1277 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:19 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:1B - Maybe it is cause I only saw the tail end of Murray's career but no way is he the 3rd best 1B ever.

I definitely thought the same thing when I saw that. I'm sure he's getting bonus points for having 3,000 hits and 500 HRs. According to baseball reference, his top 4 most comparable players are Palmeiro, Winfield, Yaz and Al Kaline. Hall of Famers, sure, but not enough to vault Eddie into the top 3 all time at first base I don't think.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby BritSox » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:01 am

suppasonic wrote:LF-If you aren't going to severely penalize Bonds, then make him #1. Either you make him #30 or #1. Same with Rose.

Erm... you don't have to bring steroids into it at all to put Williams over Bonds.

Wilbur wrote:How bout "The Say Hey Kid" Willie Mays being 4th among rf's? 3200 hits, 500+ doubles, 600+ homers, 300+ stolen bases, .302 lifetime batting average, .557 slugging pct., .384 on base pct. He should be #2 at the lowest. Give props to Mickey Mantle and Tris Speaker, but I think Willie Mays and Ty Cobb clearly are 1 and 1A.

I was going to jump on this, but clearly you just meant to write Cf instead of RF. The top two in right are obvious.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:08 am

suppasonic wrote:Yes. I think if you have the best 3 years ever at your position, even with little longevity (See: Koufax), you deserve higher then guys who pitched decently for a very long time.

Expect Koufax had 6 great years, which still don't put him in my top 15.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers