Rays Offseason Moves - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Rays Offseason Moves

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:37 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
jlm53089 wrote:deerayfan.
any word on any relief help? i havent heard anything yet.
any idea?


Nothing yet, looks like we are going with the same guys and some of the younger guys.

Raiders-- have you heard anything?




Nah it is looking like we will be going with some of the guys from last year and hopefully a few of the younguns will step up as well. If we can get league average in the bullpen, you are legitimately talking another 4 or 5 wins easily.

As far as Dukes, he is on the trade block like some of the other young Devil Ray players, but it is not a must to trade him so the price will be some pitching.
Image
raiders_umpire
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 27781
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You will be missed, Robert Smeraldo.

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:37 pm

The Rays are reportedly close to signing Carlos Pena to a minor league deal.

It's a shame that Pena hasn't been able to do any better. He'd become the Rays' best option to start at first base against right-handers, but they'll probably go with Ty Wigginton as a full-time player there. A bench spot seems unlikely, as the team will already be using carrying Greg Norton. Pena may be stashed away at Triple-A again, this time on a last-place team.
Source: Tampa Tribune


I like this for the Rays. Pena has potential just needs to figure out how not to strike out so much. Could be a help for us.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:02 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
The Rays are reportedly close to signing Carlos Pena to a minor league deal.

It's a shame that Pena hasn't been able to do any better. He'd become the Rays' best option to start at first base against right-handers, but they'll probably go with Ty Wigginton as a full-time player there. A bench spot seems unlikely, as the team will already be using carrying Greg Norton. Pena may be stashed away at Triple-A again, this time on a last-place team.
Source: Tampa Tribune


I like this for the Rays. Pena has potential just needs to figure out how not to strike out so much. Could be a help for us.


all we can really do is hope.
he could end up worthy of a call up and start knocking the ball around. with some power off the bench and the occasional platoon start.
Image
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3058
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 6 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tampa, praying for a new stadium.

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:02 pm

EDIT: Double Post
Last edited by jlm53089 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3058
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 6 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tampa, praying for a new stadium.

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:06 pm

jlm53089 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
The Rays are reportedly close to signing Carlos Pena to a minor league deal.

It's a shame that Pena hasn't been able to do any better. He'd become the Rays' best option to start at first base against right-handers, but they'll probably go with Ty Wigginton as a full-time player there. A bench spot seems unlikely, as the team will already be using carrying Greg Norton. Pena may be stashed away at Triple-A again, this time on a last-place team.
Source: Tampa Tribune


I like this for the Rays. Pena has potential just needs to figure out how not to strike out so much. Could be a help for us.


all we can really do is hope.
he could end up worthy of a call up and start knocking the ball around. with some power off the bench and the occasional platoon start.


He was a great prospect before. I really think that people just didn't give him a chance. I hope that maybe McGriff can work with him since they are both lefties and maybe help him lay off some of the bad balls throw to him.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:28 pm

Rays trade for second South Korean pitcher

Ryu joins Seo on Rays roster
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
The Rays are quickly becoming a favorite in Asia. With the team already having Japanese infielder Akinori Iwamura as its biggest offseason acquisition, Tampa Bay pulled off a trade Tuesday for South Korean pitcher Jae Kuk Ryu.

His name is pronounced, thankfully, like Jay Cook You.

Ryu came from the Cubs, who received minor league outfielder Andrew Lopez and pitcher Greg Reinhardt. Ryu joins fellow South Korean Jae Seo on the Rays staff. Shinji Mori, also from Japan, is hoping to catch on as a reliever with a minor-league deal after missing last season with a shoulder injury.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:22 pm

Devil Rays acquired RHP Jae-Kuk Ryu from the Cubs for RHP Greg Reinhard and outfielder Andy Lopez.

We're hardly big Ryu fans, but for the Rays to get him in return for two guys who didn't rank among their top 25 or 30 prospects is a fine move. Ryu went 8-8 with a 3.23 ERA, 123 H and 114/51 K/BB in 139 1/3 IP for Triple-A Iowa and gave up 14 runs in 15 innings for the Cubs last season. He might be an adequate fifth starter or solid middle reliever going forward. Feb. 13 - 2:18 pm et

Thats what we need. I like it
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:48 am

i like the fact he killed an osprey with a baseball.
but i hope maddon doesnt try to get him to pan out...
if he doesnt work out at SP then pull him before it gets too bad and put him in the pen.
but another righty...
we need a lefty.
Image
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3058
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 6 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tampa, praying for a new stadium.

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:04 pm

jlm53089 wrote:i like the fact he killed an osprey with a baseball.
but i hope maddon doesnt try to get him to pan out...
if he doesnt work out at SP then pull him before it gets too bad and put him in the pen.
but another righty...
we need a lefty.


I don't think he is going to even compete for SP. I think they are going to use him in relief. Our comp for 5th starter is pretty stiff right now
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:47 am

I don't like his walk rate, and his K rate is not great either. I don't know very much about him but maybe he has 2 pretty good pitches and could be a decent live arm in the bullpen.
Image
raiders_umpire
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 27781
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You will be missed, Robert Smeraldo.

PreviousNext

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact