Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Rays Offseason Moves

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:14 pm

BooksRnot4U wrote:And truthfully we have a good STARTING OF

with Delmon, CC, and Rocco
.... if we can keep them here at least

we need depth at pitching before anyting

Either a decent closer ((Hate McClung)) or some depth behind Kazmir ((I like fossum but not as a 2nd starter))

and I hate corcoran with a passion and he should be a releiver again
cause he can't go more than 5 innings without giving up mass amounts of runs

and in retrospect we should've kept lugo last year but at least we picked up iwamura

I like our offseason moves and if we play like we did early season last yearthen I think we can finish with 68 - 75 wins which at least is an upgrade from last year.

Shields is going to be our number 2, although i think he is more of a 3 or 4 guy.

We had no chance at Lugo. The Red Sox told his agent they would pay him a lot in the offseason so he stopped negotiating with the Rays. The Rays had offered him a lot of money and decen number of years, basically what he had said would keep him here.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BooksRnot4U » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:15 pm

He is? Oh well Fossum at 3 isn't horrible I guess.

If we were smart we would trade some of our minor league prospects for a good #2 pitcher and then our rotation would be pretty good and our bullpen is finally catching up.

Damn we have to many middle infielders.

But what makes me mad is that we had the money to keep him but we didn't want to and now we have a gaping hole at SS until Zobrist develops.

Thanks to Alec03 for the awesome sig
BooksRnot4U
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:23 pm

BooksRnot4U wrote:He is? Oh well Fossum at 3 isn't horrible I guess.

If we were smart we would trade some of our minor league prospects for a good #2 pitcher and then our rotation would be pretty good and our bullpen is finally catching up.

Damn we have to many middle infielders.

But what makes me mad is that we had the money to keep him but we didn't want to and now we have a gaping hole at SS until Zobrist develops.

We are trying to trade our minor for a SP. We tried Upton for Olsen but that didn't work. Zobrist is fine with what they want out of a SS, which is solid D. Eventually Brignac will take the spot.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BooksRnot4U » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:53 pm

I knew about the Upton-Olsen trade, but I never really thought it would get done. I just wish that we could get a top end starter instead of all these low-end guys who really should be 3-5 starters at best. Because I'm pretty sure we can all agree that Shields, Fossum, and Corcoran are not 2nd or 3rd ((maybe)) starters.

I don't mind giving up some of our prospects for a veteran starter because our entire team is prospects. CC still has 15 years left in the tank and hes our most seasoned vet ((other than wigginton)) and some of our relievers. I truley think we could be a decent team with some better pitching, and truthfully haven't we been waiting for this team to develop for a decade now.

All we are doing imo is taking all of the minor league prospects that we have, making them good, and then trading them for old players who plain and simple can't match up to other teams.

I'm just getting frustrated with the lack of productivity ever since the start of the team. Just once I would like to see us overachieve. I was so happy the first half of last year when we were doing decently and then it just went downhill from there.

Wasn't 2006 supposed to be a breakout year a few years back. You know I just hope we're right about 2008-2009.

BooksRnot4U
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:19 am

BooksRnot4U wrote:I knew about the Upton-Olsen trade, but I never really thought it would get done. I just wish that we could get a top end starter instead of all these low-end guys who really should be 3-5 starters at best. Because I'm pretty sure we can all agree that Shields, Fossum, and Corcoran are not 2nd or 3rd ((maybe)) starters.

I don't mind giving up some of our prospects for a veteran starter because our entire team is prospects. CC still has 15 years left in the tank and hes our most seasoned vet ((other than wigginton)) and some of our relievers. I truley think we could be a decent team with some better pitching, and truthfully haven't we been waiting for this team to develop for a decade now.

All we are doing imo is taking all of the minor league prospects that we have, making them good, and then trading them for old players who plain and simple can't match up to other teams.

I'm just getting frustrated with the lack of productivity ever since the start of the team. Just once I would like to see us overachieve. I was so happy the first half of last year when we were doing decently and then it just went downhill from there.

Wasn't 2006 supposed to be a breakout year a few years back. You know I just hope we're right about 2008-2009.

Well to be fair this is a new ownership group and they need to be given time to implament their plan. They seem to be going in the right direction. They have said we are done trading for porspects and we are now going to move our porspects for proven MLB'ers. Olsen would have been a great 2nd starter behind Kaz, nice 1-2 punch. The deal could still be doone, but it might include Rocco for Olsen and move Upton to CF. We also have some young stud SP in the minors that we may just have to wait for, which should be end of this year start of next.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BooksRnot4U » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:35 am

I agree, just that I know not the completley trust the management. Ill start beleiving when I start seeing. I know they are new management and I do beleive eventually we will be going in the right direction; but like every fan I would like it sooner than later.

If Rocco Baldelli would have had to be involved then its good that we backed off a bit, but I never thought it was really going to happen anyways.

BooksRnot4U
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:38 am

BooksRnot4U wrote:I agree, just that I know not the completley trust the management. Ill start beleiving when I start seeing. I know they are new management and I do beleive eventually we will be going in the right direction; but like every fan I would like it sooner than later.

If Rocco Baldelli would have had to be involved then its good that we backed off a bit, but I never thought it was really going to happen anyways.

With our OF depth, i would Take Olsen for Rocco. Olsen is a stud and would be an awesome 1-2 with Kaz for years to come. BJ, or Dukes could play CF.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BooksRnot4U » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:51 pm

I guess and then it wold make room for Wigginton to play at 3rd which isn't a downgrade from upton

and it would solid up our rotation

but straight up Olsen for Baldelli isn't quite equal enough, I think we could've held out for more

but I still don't thing its going to happen.

BooksRnot4U
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:23 pm

BooksRnot4U wrote:I guess and then it wold make room for Wigginton to play at 3rd which isn't a downgrade from upton

and it would solid up our rotation

but straight up Olsen for Baldelli isn't quite equal enough, I think we could've held out for more

but I still don't thing its going to happen.

Well Aki is playing 3rd base, so Upton is already out of any INF mix, and I would take Olsen for Baldelli and i love Baldelli. Olsen is a young STUD
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BooksRnot4U » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:23 pm

I heard that they were moving Jorge to 1st, Aki/Zobrist to 2nd, and then have upton at 3rd; but I dunno that might have just been a rumor.

BooksRnot4U
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Tampa Bay Rays