Chavez does not expect to return after 2004. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chavez does not expect to return after 2004.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chavez does not expect to return after 2004.

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:08 pm

Chavez is practicing his exit line

By Stan McNeal - SportingNews.com

You know the drill: A's draft player; player develops into a star; star leaves for monster money at first opportunity.

Two years ago, it was Jason Giambi. Miguel Tejada's time is coming soon. Next year will be Eric Chavez's turn, and the Big Three after that.

Chavez, for one, would just as soon stay in Oakland. He grew up with the A's philosophy of emphasizing on-base percentage over batting average, and his star has risen steadily since he was chosen in the first round of the 1996 June draft. He has manned third base for the past five seasons, and he's only 25. He seems to match the team, too, because, like his team, Chavez traditionally doesn't heat up until the second half. There's even a sentimental reason in his favor, seeing as how he went to the same San Diego suburban high school as A's general manager Billy Beane.

ADVERTISEMENT

But does any of that matter? Is there reason to believe the A's will commit their future to Chavez, who is eligible to become a free agent after next season?

"I don't get that sense at all," Chavez says. "But I'm not worried. There's a team out there somewhere."

Yes, at least one or two clubs will be interested in a two-time Gold Glove winner who hits with power from the left side. Former Mariners G.M. Pat Gillick, one of the game's best talent evaluators, ranks Chavez behind only Albert Pujols among the game's 25-and-under hitters.

But in the key first game of the A's Division Series against the Red Sox last week, Chavez showed how he can help a team even when he's not batting.

With the score tied in the 12th inning of Game 1, the Red Sox had runners on first and second with two out when Gabe Kapler hit a rocket down the left field line. Chavez backhanded it on one hop and dived toward third base, reaching it just ahead of the baserunner. He saved at least one run and possibly the game.

With two out in the bottom of the 12th, Chavez caught righthander Derek Lowe in a brain cramp and stole third without drawing a throw. Lowe then walked the bases full, and Chavez scored the winning run on Ramon Hernandez's squeeze bunt, which ended a classic playoff battle and gave Oakland a 1-0 lead in the series.
"It was probably the best game I've ever been involved in," says Chavez, who likes to point out how this A's rely more on baserunning and defense than in recent previous seasons. "We've struggled offensively much of the year, but when it comes time to move a guy over, we're more aware of that now. I just hope we keep playing good, solid defense. The keys to this are pitching and defense, then hitting."

With his contract year coming, Chavez plans to change his offseason routine with the hope he'll come out hitting in April like he usually hits in July. He plans regular visits to the batting cage through the winter instead of limiting his offseason work to the weight room. Because of his slow starts -- as well as his struggles against lefthanders -- Chavez never has hit higher than .288 for a full season in the majors.

That's underachieving, says an A.L. scout. "He should be a .300 hitter, but he'll be stubborn," the scout says. "He's good at going to left-center but he will get pull-happy."

Chavez says patience is key to his success. "I have very good hand-eye coordination," he says. "When I struggle, I'll put anything I can reach in play, but what I need to do is shrink my (hitting) zone."

Knowing the problem is one thing. Fixing it is another. And being around to show off the solution to A's fans is something else again.

Stan McNeal is a managing editor for Sporting News. Email him at mailto:smcneal@sportingnews.com.

Updated on Monday, Oct 6, 2003 2:25 pm EDT

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Swinger » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:01 pm

Thats terrible.. unless chavez and miggy come to fenway!
Swinger
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby kentx12 » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:12 pm

Maybe they could end up in Atlanta. Heck it probably still wouldn't help.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby eftda » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:55 pm

i think he will go to LA or NY
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:49 pm

Any where but N.Y. :~( It just keeps getting worse.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby blankman » Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:28 pm

The Yanks have Boone so I don't see them chasing Chavez. I guess you never know though with the Yanks. ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby pkarr5000 » Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:32 pm

thats sad news.
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DK » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:13 pm

Sorry Oakland...
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:02 pm

That's not a good trend to have. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DK » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:42 pm

first of all, you don't tell your team's and the league MVP (tejada) that you're not going to resign him before the season starts. second of all, you don't tell your top 3B and major producer that he's going to leave right in the thick of a playoff race. oakland has been utterly stupid in the public relations department and deserves their loss. :-t
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers