i'm drunk - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

i'm drunk

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:31 pm

Coppermine wrote:Look at it this way AD: Revver's whole business model is based on videos that have potential to be "viral." but how can a video be viral if people don't see it? It's true about more YouTube videos going "corporate" and that original content is being suppressed. Here's Revver's chance with a "random video" link.

Take a hand picked collection of original videos that have a potential to go viral. This is Revver's concept anyway right, and what I assume you and others may do 8 hours a day (luckbags). A collection of original videos with the propensity to go viral. With a "random video" button, one of those hand picked videos would play and the viewer would be subjected to material that isn't dependent on "most watched," "most commented" or even "editor picks" (even though that's technically what it is).

So let's say just one out of 100 of these hand-picked "random" videos go viral because someone got i randomly... boom, you've got yourself a mini profit center for both you and the contributor, plus exposure that may otherwise not have existed. Now let this random video button be available for sharing on blogs and websites.

Joe Schmo doesn't put a specific video on his website, but just the "random video" feed, sort of like RSS only random, and more and more viewers see content that they would otherwise not be exposed to.

Do I have a job at Revver yet?

You're just preaching to the choir about what our mission is, to find the videos that have potential to make it big. I'll take it one step further and say, it's our mission to build a working relationship with the best creators and have them try Revver out first before Youtube, Google, Myspace, Metacafe, etc.

The philosophy is a little different here at Revver. What Youtube, Myspace, and Facebook do well is create a word-of-mouth buzz about their sites among their core audiences, attract that core, and this is the key: KEEP them on the site. The focus here is a lot more distributed.

Take for instance, http://www.willitblend.com
Of course, these videos are famous for blending things you shouldn't blend (but blend anyway) just to show the industrial strength of Blendtec's blenders. A great brand awareness campaign, but I digress. You notice that the videos are under the Revver platform. So, basically, any creator is able to create their own bits of Revver on their sites. The key is to make Revver a powered-by solution in order to drive traffic for creators' sites instead of Revver's. We happen to have 30,000 syndicate pages around the web, including Digg and Technorati. There's no denying that these videos are accessible, but again, I'd argue that to drive their traffic, we need to drive our traffic. That's just as crucial as driving up the quality and quantity of creators and unlike Youtube, the onus is on us to bring advertisers in to pair them up with the videos we serve. It's hard to keep three trains running parallel to one another. So, even with our anti-portal approach, we have to make our site a portal for these sites anyway.

The random video idea is great. All we need is a widget from Tech, but they're swamped at the moment and of course, the key also is to have a collection of the best of the best and randomize that collection.

As for a job at Revver, well, we're currently not hiring because, well, let's just say, we hired one too many.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:35 pm

How do I avoid a hangover?

Before your night out begins and throughout the night you can make some wise decisions that will lessen the effects of your misery the next day. Who knows, you may even avoid one completely.

Before you drink:

Eat. Fill your stomach with a healthy meal of starches and essential vitamins and minerals. Note that I said healthy. The food will absorb the alcohol and lessen it’s effects on you. If you decide a greasy bar burger or drippy pizza is your idea of a good meal you may regret that idea when the grease mixes the wrong way with liquor and carbonation and you end up staring at the toilet bowl.
Hydrate. Drink lots of fruit juice and water now. Think of it this way, for every glass of non-alcoholic beverage you drink now you will save yourself from having to drink two glasses in the morning.

Prepare your favorite hangover remedy and place it in an easy to open container in the fridge. If you do over indulge the last thing you will want to do in the morning is gather ingredients, mix things and worse yet, run the blender.
A clinical study from 2004 suggests that drinking prickly pear fruit extract several hours prior to drinking will reduce the symptoms of a hangover.
Try one of the many anti-hangover remedies found at convenience store registers and drug stores. I have heard good and bad things about these but have never tried them personally, but it is an option.

While you drink:

Grab a bite to eat at the bar. This is where greasy fries would be okay to eat because it is a snack that will keep your stomach full and add extra material to absorb the alcohol. Bar peanuts, popcorn, any type of food will do the job.
Choose the booze carefully. Again, dark spirits contain more congeners, light spirits fewer, cheap liquor more. More congeners equal more headaches. Stick with quality light color drinks most of the night to reduce your hangover.
Memorize this rhyme and abide by it, it will save you a lot of pain. “Liquor before beer, never fear. Beer before liquor, never sicker.”
Alternate alcoholic with non-alcoholic beverages. This trick will slow your alcohol consumption down and still give you something to drink. Choose water, fruit juices or light carbonated beverages. If you are worried about what your friends may think order a mocktail or dress up a straight virgin beverage with a garnish and lie. Call Sprite or 7-Up with a lime a Vodka Tonic or orange juice a Screwdriver or cranberry juice with a lime a Cape Codder. They are probably too drunk to know the difference and who cares anyway, you will feel so much better in the morning than they will, HA!
Consume less than one drink per hour. Your liver breaks down alcohol at the rate of one beer per hour, so spreading out your drinking over many hours will give your body a chance to keep up with you.
Once you make it home and before you crash on the bed force yourself to drink a glass of water and take some Vitamin B. This is also not the time to take any headache medicine (Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Aspirin) as they could seriously damage your liver.

Important: If you experience tremors, stomach pain, or see blood in your vomit seek professional medical attention IMMEDIATELY. You may have overdone it too much and should go to the emergency room right away.

How To Cure a Hangover

Now you’ve done it, it’s official you have a hangover, now what? No matter what you do sleep and water or juice should be included. There are many folk cures that are supposed to help cure a hangover. Many of them will help you cope by replenishing the vitamins and liquid you lost over night, while some like avoiding caffeine are very important to a quicker recovery. There is no one size fits all cure, find what works for you.

Difficulty: Hard

Time Required: As long as it takes to feel better.

Here's How:

1. Sleep. Rest is your best friend at this point to give your body a recover. It is best to stay in bed so call in to work if you have to, tell them you have the stomach flu. You will sound so horrible on the phone they may believe you (unless they saw you at the bar, not a good idea then).
2. Replenish your body with fruit juice and water.
3. Avoid caffeine. A weak cup of coffee may be okay but a lot of caffeine will continue to dehydrate you, the opposite of what you want right now.
4. Drink orange juice for Vitamin C.
5. Drink a sports drink like Gatorade or Powerade.
6. Eat mineral rich food like pickles or canned fish.
7. In Poland, drinking pickle juice is a common remedy.
8. Drink a Bloody Mary. While the popular phrase “hair of the dog that bit you” may sound logical with a shot of whiskey left in the bottle next to your bed, it’s only temporary. Try a Bloody Mary instead, while your blood is dealing with the new alcohol it is ignoring the old and in the mean time tomato juice and celery are full of vitamins. If you drank the last of the vodka make a Virgin Mary.
9. Take a shower switching between cold and hot water.
10. In Ireland it was said that the cure for a hangover is to bury the ailing person up to the neck in moist river sand.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:36 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Look at it this way AD: Revver's whole business model is based on videos that have potential to be "viral." but how can a video be viral if people don't see it? It's true about more YouTube videos going "corporate" and that original content is being suppressed. Here's Revver's chance with a "random video" link.

Take a hand picked collection of original videos that have a potential to go viral. This is Revver's concept anyway right, and what I assume you and others may do 8 hours a day (luckbags). A collection of original videos with the propensity to go viral. With a "random video" button, one of those hand picked videos would play and the viewer would be subjected to material that isn't dependent on "most watched," "most commented" or even "editor picks" (even though that's technically what it is).

So let's say just one out of 100 of these hand-picked "random" videos go viral because someone got i randomly... boom, you've got yourself a mini profit center for both you and the contributor, plus exposure that may otherwise not have existed. Now let this random video button be available for sharing on blogs and websites.

Joe Schmo doesn't put a specific video on his website, but just the "random video" feed, sort of like RSS only random, and more and more viewers see content that they would otherwise not be exposed to.

Do I have a job at Revver yet?

You're just preaching to the choir about what our mission is, to find the videos that have potential to make it big. I'll take it one step further and say, it's our mission to build a working relationship with the best creators and have them try Revver out first before Youtube, Google, Myspace, Metacafe, etc.

The philosophy is a little different here at Revver. What Youtube, Myspace, and Facebook do well is create a word-of-mouth buzz about their sites among their core audiences, attract that core, and this is the key: KEEP them on the site. The focus here is a lot more distributed.

Take for instance, http://www.willitblend.com
Of course, these videos are famous for blending things you shouldn't blend (but blend anyway) just to show the industrial strength of Blendtec's blenders. A great brand awareness campaign, but I digress. You notice that the videos are under the Revver platform. So, basically, any creator is able to create their own bits of Revver on their sites. The key is to make Revver a powered-by solution in order to drive traffic for creators' sites instead of Revver's. We happen to have 30,000 syndicate pages around the web, including Digg and Technorati. There's no denying that these videos are accessible, but again, I'd argue that to drive their traffic, we need to drive our traffic. That's just as crucial as driving up the quality and quantity of creators and unlike Youtube, the onus is on us to bring advertisers in to pair them up with the videos we serve. It's hard to keep three trains running parallel to one another. So, even with our anti-portal approach, we have to make our site a portal for these sites anyway.

The random video idea is great. All we need is a widget from Tech, but they're swamped at the moment and of course, the key also is to have a collection of the best of the best and randomize that collection.

As for a job at Revver, well, we're currently not hiring because, well, let's just say, we hired one too many.

That's ok: my company just gave me a Precision M90 as a peace offering for sticking me with a crappy client. Now I can finally play CivIV without worrying about video cards! :-b (FYI: I think they should fire O'Donnell :-D ).

As for hangovers, I'm working on one right now
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:38 pm

I'm currently sipping on a small glass of Chivas. Does that constitute for whooping it up crazy style?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:42 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'm currently sipping on a small glass of Chivas. Does that constitute for whooping it up crazy style?

Classy Omaha... very niiiiiiiiiice! ;-D

I'm on my sixth Mad Elf... i'm doing a lot of backstpacing in writing this.

I need some brandy for my Christmas egg nog cocktails.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby domination » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:42 am

i'm drunk and i need taco bell, i drank a lot of busch light, my beer or choise, i basicly, (me and my roommates) keep that company in business. YAHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Fear is the mind killer.
domination
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Coppermine » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:54 am

domination wrote:i'm drunk and i need taco bell, i drank a lot of busch light, my beer or choise, i basicly, (me and my roommates) keep that company in business. YAHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Would it be inappropriate to call Busch light, Cheney light?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:05 am

almost there guys

Meanwhile I'll go start a thread called "I'm sick, if you are too, post here"

Aaaaa-Choooo
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:07 am

falkkfe
efpdaj;lfkjlenkccn,nlkjelajfei;af;ebf

dliarh
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:00 am

Coppermine wrote:falkkfe
efpdaj;lfkjlenkccn,nlkjelajfei;af;ebf

dliarh

First off, you're just sounding to be drunk and second, if you're high, you would type all that nonsensical gunk. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk