BMRA-Round 1-Blizzard of Oz vs. American Idiot - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BMRA-Round 1-Blizzard of Oz vs. American Idiot

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which one?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:57 pm

Blizzard of Oz
53%
American Idiot
47%

Total votes : 36

Postby zepfan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:59 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:See, the problem with you is that you decide what is good and bad based only on your judgment.

No. I decide what's good and what's bad based on what I hear with my ears and what I can play with my hands. Green Day produces what may be the most simple, plain sound of any band that garners constant national attention. Even bands like The Used or Yellowcard, bands who I don't really like, at least have some sort of musical redeaming qualities. Green Day, though, constantly spits out three chord garbage and gets praise for it.

The Beatles made some of most simple music that even a person is one guitar/bass/drum lessons can play some of their songs.
Just because a band makes simple music doesn't mean they are bad and vise versa.
That's why we don't praise Mahavishnu Orchestra as the greatest band.

Deciding "what's good and what's bad based on what I hear with my ears" is judging using solely your own judgment.
I personally don't enjoy most of Jimi Hendrix's music. Does that mean that they are bad? No. It's just means that I don't like them.

Didn't you learn from my Rolling Stone quote that most music critiques don't really give an album a full-listen-through? Rolling Stone, the supposed creme-de-la-creme magazine of the Rock and Roll industry, can't even sit down and listen (comprehend, read lyrics) before they spit out a negative review of bands. Look no further than their review of Thrice's Vheissu, because that review is exactly what I'm talking about.

And it's not that I can't stand anything that's mainstream -- weren't you criticizing me for liking AFI and Incubus' old stuff? -- it's that a lot of the mainstream stuff is crap; U2's new stuff and Green Day's new stuff are no exception.

I understand that there are bad reviews and critics out there. That's why you have to read multiple reviews from multiple people with different PoV.

Again, I think I said before that I never judge an album by just one review. Same goes for American Idiot. Many reviews that I've read had positive things to say about the album, and I personally gave it a listen and thought that it was a well produced album.

And the comment about not liking mainstream music wasn't directed at you so don't worry about that.

A lot of good points in there. I used to think anything I didn't like was crap but I've since changed my evil ways. :-b Probably because I ended up liking some music that I never thought I would. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and music is no exception.

Also, Ozzy being voted out in the first round would be a travesty! Don't let it happen!
Last edited by zepfan on Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:00 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i want to vote for

Yeah.. or Insomniac or Dookie. :-?
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:02 pm

wow i just tied it 15-15 voting for ozzy
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:10 pm

Green day sucks bad
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:24 pm

I can't really stand Ozzy and I hate Green Day.

Can I just vote for Randy Rhodes?
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:09 pm

I respect Green Day, but the fact that Blizzard of Ozz is only leading by a handful of votes is wrong. Ozz's debut work featured one of the greatest guitarists ever to grace the planet and was a great departure from his work with Sabbath. Easily one of the most influential and important albums to come out of the 80's. Name one metalhead who doesn't have this record somewhere in their collection?
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk