Free Sources - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Free Sources

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Free Sources

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:24 pm

What are the free sources you guys use to get info on minor leaguers? I know a lot about Rays stuff, but that is b/c i use rays sites and from talking with DRO personell
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Koby Schellenger » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:35 pm

There aren't any real good free sources. Anything that's free has its limitations but here is some advice:

Team message boards: These will be less accurate but likely more broad in their coverage than sites that cover entire leagues, levels or minor league baseball. But be warned that some will be so wildly homeristic that it becomes difficult to wade through the fat to ge to the meat.

Stat sites: milb.com and minorleaguesplits.com provide good statistics. Though they are not incredibly useful as minor league stats need a great deal of interpretatoin. minorleaguesplits.com features a park-adjusted stat line and a MLE (major league equivalent) stat line. This is fairly accurate but does not, to my knowledge, account for talent distribution.

National sites: minorleagueball.com, attheplate.com and a few others provide more national coverage but because the scope of what they cover is so large, they do not get into much detail. Additoinally, you must be careful which sites you use. Some provide recycled information, are based completely in statistics, etc.

I would generally advise looking to all three to an extent. That way you can provide yourself with a little check and balance system to make sure the data you're getting is the most accurate.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:43 pm

And if i wanted to pay, what gives u the best bang for your buck?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:47 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:And if i wanted to pay, what gives u the best bang for your buck?

baseball america
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Koby Schellenger » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:10 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:And if i wanted to pay, what gives u the best bang for your buck?

I'd say BaseballProspectus. It's 39.95/year (22 dollars cheaper than BA) and you also get top notch major league analysis and projections.
On the minor league side, BP will give you must less breadth but much more depth in their work. There is only one writer, but he's very very good.
If you want something that provides more coverage of strictly non-major league baseball, then go with BaseballAmerica and find your MLB stuff from another source.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:14 pm

Koby Schellenger wrote:

I'd say BaseballProspectus. It's 39.95/year (22 dollars cheaper than BA) and you also get top notch major league analysis and projections.
On the minor league side, BP will give you must less breadth but much more depth in their work. There is only one writer, but he's very very good.
If you want something that provides more coverage of strictly non-major league baseball, then go with BaseballAmerica and find your MLB stuff from another source.

So prospectus will give me both Minor and Major league stuff, but less in amount of minor, but more in depth with the players it covers?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Koby Schellenger » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:46 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Koby Schellenger wrote:

So prospectus will give me both Minor and Major league stuff, but less in amount of minor, but more in depth with the players it covers?

A good example of a typical BP piece can be found http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... cleid=5414

This is one of the pieces they periodically make available in full for free. It will generally have paragraphs about players that includes both statistical analysis and traditional scouting jargon.

BP's coverage of the major leagues is the same. There will be plenty of hard core math studies and plenty of player profiles, just as in the minor league coverage. BP features PECOTA which is a sophisticated projection system that is one of the best available systems.

If you want quick coverage of non-major league baseball that has a wide scope go with BaseballAmerica at $62.

But if you want more indepth but smaller range of coverage with top notch major league coverage go with BaseballProspectus at $39.95 and supplment your minor league search with a prospect handbook, message boards and free sites like minorleagueball.com, minorleaguesplits.com and others that you feel comfortable with the writers.

But I would snoop around each site for some free articles and get other feedback because BP (or BA for that matter) isn't for everyone. Their style is dramatically different as is their approach.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:27 pm

Thanks i got a BP account ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Surfs up » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:00 am

Try projectprospect. Thats a free site and seems to have some nice info.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 198)

Postby nathan050904 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:10 am

I'll be honest I had a BP account but, I didn't renew it. I personally like Baseball America more then BP. I have a Baseball America account and it's well worth the money. I am in a dynasty league and I use BA constantly for my league. Baseball America helped me pickup the likes of Yovani Gallardo, Nick Adenhart, Matt Garza long before others in my league were able to (near the beginning of the year).
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball