Dye or Dunn? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dye or Dunn?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dye or Dunn?

Postby Bender » Sat May 04, 2002 9:31 pm

I am about to activate Jermaine Dye, but I thought maybe I would get Adam Dunn instead. I know Dye is a good player, and his stats the last couple of seasons are great, but the TSN has Dye ranked 148 and Dunn 101. Is this misleading?

Adam Dunn seems to be heating up finally, and he is still available. Obviously, I have to drop someone first anyway, and that will be Matt Lawton most likely. Preston Wilson won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Outfield is curently Brian Giles, Ichiro Suzuki, Preston Wilson, Matt Lawton. Really those first 3 will stay there for quite a while. But my question is should I get Dunn over Dye, or maybe drop Sean Burroughs? My team is starting to slip and I need some power.
Bender
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Sun May 05, 2002 7:29 am

While I'm usually quick to grumble about rankings (rankings of any sort are an easy target, after all), I won't criticize TSN here. Up until a couple days ago, it wasn't at all certain how fully Dye had recovered from a very serious leg injury, so devaluing him in rankings made sense. It looks like Dye will be fine, but that's still not a given. If I had to rank them on the spot, knowing what we do today, I'd call it a dead heat.

That said, I agree that far too many pundits were too quick to hype Dunn as the next coming of Babe Ruth. We'll see what happens, but all those "50 hr" expectations seem too high to me. Still, he's getting hot, and if you can stand an occasional slump, he'll be a productive fantasy player.

If Burroughs is expendable, I'd drop him and grab both Dye and Dunn. If the choice comes down to only Dye or Dunn, I'd go with Dunn, considering the of you already have in place. With three studs already on your team, you can afford to take a risk. Getting both would be nice, though.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bender » Sun May 05, 2002 9:38 am

I am a little confused now but here is an idea, I could drop Cabrera and just have one SS, or maybe I could go with one less pitcher, because I am well above the projected limit at the moment.

So the change would be:

In - Jermaine Dye (OF), Adam Dunn (OF)

Out - Matt Lawton (OF) and either Cabrera (SS), Burroughs (3B) or Brian Lawrence (SP)

Sounds ok to me, I think Burroughs and Lawton can go. I have a Util spot so they will still get starts alright. What do you think?
Bender
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Sun May 05, 2002 10:47 am

Burroughs and Lawton look like the right call to me.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bender » Sun May 05, 2002 12:12 pm

Yep, it's done, now I have to hope for good play from Dunn. :-D
Bender
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bender » Thu May 09, 2002 9:40 am

I'm pretty glad I got Dunn, the first game I started him he hit a grand slam and today he got two stolen bases, and I've climbed back to first place. Got to love it. :->
Bender
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Thu May 09, 2002 9:47 am

12 rbi the past week - you're right, every Dunn owner's going to love that!

Looks like the kid might be for real after all. A couple weeks ago, when he was hitting a whopping .230, I was shopping him and couldn't find takers. I certainly stand corrected now.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers