Masumi Kuwata headed to the Bucs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Masumi Kuwata headed to the Bucs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:34 pm

You know you're desperate for media attention when you have a press conference for a minor league deal
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mak1277 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:39 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:You know you're desperate for media attention when you have a press conference for a minor league deal

I don't think they actually had a press conference. :-D
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby CheeseBeger » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:02 pm

thedude wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
BritSox wrote:
Half Massed wrote:Most likely he thought 'wow, the Pirates suck! I actually have a shot at making the team!'

That was his actual quote in the press conference.

He actually signed a minor league deal with the Bucs.

The Red Sox often sign players to be companions to Super stars. Carlos Baerga restarted his baseball career as Manny's binky. If Kuwata made the team it would only be to babysit Dice-K, and Kuwata probably realized this.

Thats very true. I read that Ortiz is extremely good friends with Lugo, and thats one of the reasons the have tried to get him.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Re: Masumi Kuwata headed to the Bucs

Postby sportsaddict » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:26 pm

Old_Style wrote:
BigLebowski wrote:
BravesGuy wrote:I know he is not a big name Jap pitcher, but I just came across this on scout.com

Japanese Pitcher Headed to Bucs
By PiratesDugout.com

Posted Dec 18, 2006

The Pittsburgh Pirates have apparently won a battle with the Boston Red Sox for the services of veteran Japanese hurler Masumi Kuwata.

Kuwata told the Kyodo News Monday he has chosen the Pittsburgh Pirates over the Red Sox. "The manager (Tatsunori Hara) and coaches said the Pirates suit me most among the teams that have given me offers," Kuwata said, revealing that the 38-year-old had received offers also from the Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers. Kuwata was 1-1 with a 6.94 ERA last season in Japan.

He has a 173-141 career record with 14 saves and a 3.55 ERA in 442 games, 263 starts. But the 5-foot-7, 160-pounder has struggled with injuries in recent years and compiled just a 9-16 record over the past four seasons.

Not sure that's really politically correct....or even very nice. :-o

i doubt it was used in a derogatory tone.

Yeah I noticed it too but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. It looks like he was just shortening the word "japanese."
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers