A-Rod to Retire in 2010 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod to Retire in 2010

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A-Rod to Retire in 2010

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:16 pm

From Roto:

Alex Rodriguez told Bob Costas in a nationally syndicated radio interview in September that he might retire once his current 10-year contract expires after the 2010 season.

It's news now because no one heard it then, apparently. "I don’t really see myself playing past this contract," Rodriguez said in the interview three months ago. At the time, he was likely frustrated with the way his season had progressed. "I believe he was speaking honestly from the frame of mind that he was in at the time," Costas said in a telephone interview yesterday. "He was very matter of fact and there was no anger in his voice. It was a tone of resignation." Considering that A-Rod has been adamant recently that he wants to stay in New York, it seems doubtful that he feels quite the same way. There's little chance that A-Rod will call it a career at age 35. Dec. 16 - 12:52 pm et
Source: New York Times

Obviously he has a lot of time to change his mind and probably will, but i think this shows the shape he is in mentally right now being in NY. If i were him i would want to go somewhere else, he is killing himself there now.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:17 pm

I don't buy this that much
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A-Rod to Retire in 2010

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:19 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:From Roto:

Alex Rodriguez told Bob Costas in a nationally syndicated radio interview in September that he might retire once his current 10-year contract expires after the 2010 season.

It's news now because no one heard it then, apparently. "I don’t really see myself playing past this contract," Rodriguez said in the interview three months ago. At the time, he was likely frustrated with the way his season had progressed. "I believe he was speaking honestly from the frame of mind that he was in at the time," Costas said in a telephone interview yesterday. "He was very matter of fact and there was no anger in his voice. It was a tone of resignation." Considering that A-Rod has been adamant recently that he wants to stay in New York, it seems doubtful that he feels quite the same way. There's little chance that A-Rod will call it a career at age 35. Dec. 16 - 12:52 pm et
Source: New York Times

Obviously he has a lot of time to change his mind and probably will, but i think this shows the shape he is in mentally right now being in NY. If i were him i would want to go somewhere else, he is killing himself there now.

The only reason roto put this up was because, for some reason, BP decided to put this into the quotes of the week article. I suppose next thing they will do will be to quote manny from last march saying he would retire when his current contract expires.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:20 pm

He'll be what? Like 35 after 2010. So it wouldn't be that big of a deal anyway unless he was on the cusp of surpassing Bonds.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:21 pm

If he stays healthy to retire at 35 would be giving away millions of dollars and a chance at history. I can't imagine anyone turning away from that kind of allure.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:25 pm

"Might retire"? Big deal.

I might retire next year if $100M falls on my head, but it probably won't happen.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:35 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:"Might retire"? Big deal.

I might retire next year if $100M falls on my head, but it probably won't happen.

Like i said probably won't happen, but it goes to show how mentally exhausted this guy is playing in NY. I am not making excuses for him, but when someone says something like this on a national show there is a reason he said it. Maybe he thinks someone will give him sympathy i don't know.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:52 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:"Might retire"? Big deal.

Hell I'll retire for 10M...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:04 pm

Must be a slow New York News day ..

They pulled something up from 3 months ago, just so they could kick their favorite dog.
I love how they tried to play it off too, "Its News cus nobody heard it back then"

Yeah what ever. ;-7
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Re: A-Rod to Retire in 2010

Postby blankman » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:40 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Obviously he has a lot of time to change his mind and probably will, but i think this shows the shape he is in mentally right now being in NY. If i were him i would want to go somewhere else, he is killing himself there now.

He's not going to admit defeat like that. Asking out of NY is admitting he can't handle the pressure and as a player that will go down as one of the greatest all time, he'll stay in NY until he gets it right (regular season and postseason) like he almost did in 04 and 05.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers