How come the government can apply sales tax twice or more. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How come the government can apply sales tax twice or more.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How come the government can apply sales tax twice or more.

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:40 pm

So I bought a Jeep.

It was bought off the lot 8 months ago.

I bought it from that guy a month or so ago.

How does the government get away with charging him sales tax on his original purchase and THEN!!

Charging me sales Tax on my USED purchase.

Its totally messed up. How is that fair at all!!

the care already had sales tax paid on it!! WTH!! Evil government!
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:04 pm

2008 to be "tax-free" as French move to pay-as-you-go

29 minutes ago

PARIS (AFP) - French tax-payers have received an unusual piece of good news to enliven the Christmas season: under plans being finalised at the finance ministry, 2008 is to be tax-free!

For those reluctant to believe it, the rare act of government largesse was spelled out by the finance minister Thierry Breton who told Les Echos newspaper on Monday: "I am suggesting that 2008 be fiscally blank."

The anomaly will come about if -- as proposed -- France switches to a "pay-as-you-go" income tax system in 2009, in line with most of its European neighbours.

Currently earners pay their tax on income earned in the previous year, but from 2009 the government wants people to pay as they earn, with the levy deducted from their monthly salary.

The result would be that in 2008 earners would pay tax on 2007 income, and then in 2009 they would pay tax in 2009 income. 2008 will simply disappear from the account books.

The change to pay-as-you-go -- which the government says will increase revenues because it is more efficient -- could be given the green light before April's presidential election, Breton said.

"It is a win-win situation. The tax-payer will not pay tax for the year 2008, and the state will receive more in 2009 than it would have," he said.

Of course workers will not notice any immediate benefit, because they will continue to pay tax each year. The advantage will come when they stop work, and are not taxed in their first year of retirement.

The mooted change was announced amid news that France's most famous singer, Johnny Hallyday, has decided to become a Swiss tax exile to escape his native country's crushing tax burden, which soars to 60 percent in the case of the most wealthy.

Hallyday, a 63-year-old national icon who has modelled himself as something of an Elvis Presley figure, said last week "I've had enough of the taxes we are forced to pay" and that he was to relocate to the Swiss ski resort of Gstaad.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:06 pm

Sales Tax - The name says it all.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:10 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Sales Tax - The name says it all.

Yea but think about it. I consider my act of buying a "used" car to be good for the environment.

Also, the item has already been taxed 1 time. How can you keep taxing it! Especially since there is really no profit involved as its the bluebook value.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:16 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Sales Tax - The name says it all.

Yea but think about it. I consider my act of buying a "used" car to be good for the environment.

Also, the item has already been taxed 1 time. How can you keep taxing it! Especially since there is really no profit involved as its the bluebook value.

Who says you can't tax something more than once? Ever buy alcohol, cigarettes or gas? Each one has multiple taxes on it. I have to pay property taxes every year too.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Re: How come the government can apply sales tax twice or more.

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:34 pm

acsguitar wrote:So I bought a Jeep.

How does the government get away with charging him sales tax on his original purchase and THEN!!

If you keep the Jeep til next year, you will have to pay taxes on it again as well.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:37 pm

When I used to work in hotels we taxed the hell out of people too. We had the initial 7% sales tax, then an additional occupancy tax on top of that. It came out to 13% tax. I know NYC is about 17.5% if I remember correctly, but I believe most cities are in the single digits. For some reason, Omaha's is one of the higher ones. Must be that ocean view...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: How come the government can apply sales tax twice or mor

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:51 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
acsguitar wrote:So I bought a Jeep.

If you keep the Jeep til next year, you will have to pay taxes on it again as well.

I understand OWNERSHIP tax but this is Sales Tax!! It doesn't happen every year. Sales tax only happens during a sale.

But you'd think that the government has no case for sales tax after the item has SOLD 1 time!
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:53 pm

If you think paying tax when buying a used car is bad (which it isn't), just wait until you buy a house.

I mean, you can buy a $200,000 house cash money and supposedly *own* the entire thing, yet each and every single year, you still have to pay property tax. Technically there's no such thing as actually owning your home and land, because if you don't pay the repeated tax (that you've already paid) from year to year, the government will take it.

Property tax is the one that bugs me, because you've already paid it youself, yet you have to pay it again, and again, and again, until you die.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:56 pm

Madison wrote:If you think paying tax when buying a used car is bad (which it isn't), just wait until you buy a house.

I mean, you can buy a $200,000 house cash money and supposedly *own* the entire thing, yet each and every single year, you still have to pay property tax. Technically there's no such thing as actually owning your home and land, because if you don't pay the repeated tax (that you've already paid) from year to year, the government will take it.

Property tax is the one that bugs me, because you've already paid it youself, yet you have to pay it again, and again, and again, until you die.

Yea that sucks too!! And considering the money thrown away by the government!

GRRRR.... Property tax is horrible in some states
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk