BMRA-Round 1-Vs. vs. The Stone Roses - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BMRA-Round 1-Vs. vs. The Stone Roses

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

which one?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:07 am

Vs.
81%
The Stone Roses
19%

Total votes : 37

BMRA-Round 1-Vs. vs. The Stone Roses

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:07 am

Pearl Jam's Vs.
Review by Steve Huey

Pearl Jam took to superstardom like deer in headlights. Unsure of how to maintain their rigorous standards of integrity in the face of massive commercial success, the band took refuge in willful obscurity -- the title of their second album, Vs., did not appear anywhere in the packaging, and they refused to release any singles or videos. (Ironically, many fans then paid steep prices for import CD singles, a situation the band eventually rectified.) The eccentricities underline Pearl Jam's almost paranoid aversion to charges of hypocrisy or egotism -- but it also made sense to use the spotlight for progress. You could see that reasoning in their ensuing battle with Ticketmaster, and you could hear it in the record itself. Vs. is often Eddie Vedder at his most strident, both lyrically and vocally. It's less oblique than Ten in its topicality, and sometimes downright dogmatic; having the world's ear renders Vedder unable to resist a few simplistic potshots at favorite white-liberal targets. Yet a little self-righteousness is an acceptable price to pay for the passionate immediacy that permeates Vs. It's a much rawer, looser record than Ten, feeling like a live performance; Vedder practically screams himself hoarse on a few songs. The band consciously strives for spontaneity, admirably pushing itself into new territory -- some numbers are decidedly punky, and there are also a couple of acoustic-driven ballads, which are well suited to Vedder's sonorous low register. Sometimes, that spontaneity comes at the expense of Ten's marvelous craft -- a few songs here are just plain underdeveloped, with supporting frameworks that don't feel very sturdy. But, of everything that does work, the rockers are often frightening in their intensity, and the more reflective songs are mesmerizing. Vs. may not reach the majestic heights of Ten, but at least half the record stands with Pearl Jam's best work.

The Stone Roses' self titled album
Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Since the Stone Roses were the nominal leaders of Britain's "Madchester" scene -- an indie rock phenomenon that fused guitar pop with drug-fueled rave and dance culture -- it's rather ironic that their eponymous debut only hints at dance music. What made the Stone Roses important was how they welcomed dance and pop together, treating them as if they were the same beast. Equally important was the Roses' cool, detached arrogance, which was personified by Ian Brown's nonchalant vocals. Brown's effortless malevolence is brought to life with songs that equal both his sentiments and his voice -- "I Wanna Be Adored," with its creeping bassline and waves of cool guitar hooks, doesn't demand adoration, it just expects it. Similarly, Brown can claim "I Am the Resurrection" and lie back, as if there were no room for debate. But the key to The Stone Roses is John Squire's layers of simple, exceedingly catchy hooks and how the rhythm section of Reni and Mani always imply dance rhythms without overtly going into the disco. On "She Bangs the Drums" and "Elephant Stone," the hooks wind into the rhythm inseparably -- the '60s hooks and the rolling beats manage to convey the colorful, neo-psychedelic world of acid house. Squire's riffs are bright and catchy, recalling the British Invasion while suggesting the future with their phased, echoey effects. The Stone Roses was a two-fold revolution -- it brought dance music to an audience that was previously obsessed with droning guitars, while it revived the concept of classic pop songwriting, and the repercussions of its achievement could be heard throughout the '90s, even if the Stone Roses could never achieve this level of achievement again.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:09 am

would have preferred Vitalogy in this spot. but vs. ;-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BritSox » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:13 am

The Stone Roses is just a superb album, and easily gets my vote, but I doubt it carries an American audience. Still, have to show some love for the album that includes I Am The Resurrection and Made Of Stone. Both the NME and the Observer newspaper voted it the best British album ever over Revolver and London Calling. I might not go that far, but it deserves to be in the discussion.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Callahan » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:28 am

I'm guessing most haven't heard the Stone Roses, but I can say from an American perspective it's a very good album.

Too bad it's up against my favorite band ever. :-D
[i]"I think if Norman Rockwell were alive, the guy that he would paint more than anyone else would be David Eckstein." ~McCarver[/i]
Callahan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:28 am

I don't care for Pearl Jam much, but as the previous posters mentioned, most Americans don't know about Stone Roses. I'm American...I have never heard of the Stone Roses.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Another Blown Save » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:20 am

The Stone Roses never had a chance :,-(
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:33 am

I took Stone Roses here by a mile; I never was a huge Pearl Jam fan but I agree I would be more inclined to vote for them if Vitalogy were up here.

Stone Roses, along with The Smiths, are perhaps one of the most influential indie/brit rock bands ever. Bands influenced by the Stone Roses include Blur, Pulp, Suede, Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene, Kula Shaker, Manic Street Preachers, Muse, Stereophonics, The Bluetones, The Charlatans and The Verve.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:01 pm

Stone Roses I don't know much about but I liked that song about doing things to your sister or whatever..

Still voted PJ
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:30 pm

Pearl Jam all the way to the bank. :-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby ironman » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:46 pm

The Stone Roses are ok. I've never gotten into them that much. Vs is great. Probably my third favorite PJ album.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Next

Return to General Talk