BMRA-Round 1-Mellon Collie vs. Lateralus - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BMRA-Round 1-Mellon Collie vs. Lateralus

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which one?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:44 am

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
60%
Lateralus
40%

Total votes : 42

BMRA-Round 1-Mellon Collie vs. Lateralus

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:44 am

Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

The Smashing Pumpkins didn't shy away from making the follow-up to the grand, intricate Siamese Dream. With Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, the band turns in one of the most ambitious and indulgent albums in rock history. Lasting over two hours and featuring 28 songs, the album is certainly a challenging listen. To Billy Corgan's credit, it's a rewarding and compelling one as well. Although the artistic scope of the album is immense, the Smashing Pumpkins flourish in such an overblown setting. Corgan's songwriting has never been limited by conventional notions of what a rock band can do, even if it is clear that he draws inspiration from scores of '70s heavy metal and art rock bands. Instead of copying the sounds of his favorite records, he expands on their ideas, making the gentle piano of the title track and the sighing "1979" sit comfortably against the volcanic rush of "Jellybelly" and "Zero." In between those two extremes lies an array of musical styles, drawing from rock, pop, folk, and classical. Some of the songs don't work as well as others, but Mellon Collie never seems to drag. Occasionally they fall flat on their face, but over the entire album, the Smashing Pumpkins prove that they are one of the more creative and consistent bands of the '90s.

Tool's Lateralus
Review by Rob Theakston

After an exhaustive five-year litigation battle between the band and their label management, Tool offer up the latest chapter in their musical self-discovery in Lateralus. Make no mistake, this is a prog rock record, reminiscent back to the times of King Crimson and Meddle-era Pink Floyd, with a hint of Rush mutated with Tool's signature sonic assault on the ears. Lateralus demands close listening from the first piece onward, as it becomes quickly apparent that this is not going to be an album one can listen to and accept at face value. Complex rhythm changes, haunting vocals, and an onslaught of changes in dynamics make this an album other so-called metal groups could learn from. While some compositions seem out of place, others fit together seamlessly, such as the 23-minute song cycle serving as the climax and resolution of the album. However, the album's most disturbing moment arrives at the end, with dissonant electronic noises placed randomly with a drum solo over a phone call to a talk show discussing the secrets behind Area 51, once again serving as a symbolic gesture from the band encouraging people not to take things at face value and to think for themselves. Overall, a solid, well-produced album from a band that never fails to deliver with each release.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:46 am

I liked Mellon Collie more than Siamese dream, 1979 was a great song. The only issue was that it was too long
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Callahan » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:36 am

Going with Mellon Collie. I listened to it nonstop for about four months straight when it first came out, and my old band covered a lot of those songs. I consider Lateralus the 5th best album by Tool (counting Opiate as an "album").
[i]"I think if Norman Rockwell were alive, the guy that he would paint more than anyone else would be David Eckstein." ~McCarver[/i]
Callahan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BritSox » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:49 am

Mellon Collie, were it a single album with the sixteen best tracks off the two CDs ought to be one of the favorites. However, as it is, it does have rather too much filler. Still, got enough great songs to carry it here.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:21 am

Tough call. I enjoyed Mellon Collie, but I have to go with Lateralus. Billy Corgan, while talented, annoys the hell out of me.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:23 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Tough call. I enjoyed Mellon Collie, but I have to go with Lateralus. Billy Corgan, while talented, annoys the hell out of me.

You are not along, Billy Corgan's voice creeps me out too. But their music overall is pretty good ;-D

It's just the high pitched voice :-o
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:39 am

Smashing Pumpkins best album, by a longshot. Got to go with SP here. ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby ThatDude » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:59 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:I liked Mellon Collie more than Siamese dream, 1979 was a great song. The only issue was that it was too long

slomo007 wrote:Smashing Pumpkins best album, by a longshot. Got to go with SP here. ;-D

Really?

I think Siamese Dream is immensely better than Mellon Collie. Too many filler tracks on Mellon Collie.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:07 am

ThatDude wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:I liked Mellon Collie more than Siamese dream, 1979 was a great song. The only issue was that it was too long

slomo007 wrote:Smashing Pumpkins best album, by a longshot. Got to go with SP here. ;-D

Really?

I think Siamese Dream is immensely better than Mellon Collie. Too many filler tracks on Mellon Collie.

I just think what Mellon Collie would be with its 12 best tracks on a single CD, and my brain tells me it's pretty good.

The same problem(except worse) happens with Stadium Arcadium
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BritSox » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:12 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
ThatDude wrote:

Really?

I just think what Mellon Collie would be with its 12 best tracks on a single CD, and my brain tells me it's pretty good.

The same problem(except worse) happens with Stadium Arcadium

I think it's a good enough record that you could cull the best 16 without any loss of quality. There's at least ten really good songs on the first CD, the second isn't as good but does have thirty-three, 1979 etc.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Next

Return to General Talk