Need some League start up advice. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need some League start up advice.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need some League start up advice.

Postby powenM » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:14 pm

Ive been a commish and player in several leagues for several years. This year though Im working on setting up a 20team dynasty league.
The problem is I want also to include farm clubs for each team & need some advice along these lines. Heres a couple questions but would also appreciate any other advice u can give me in this regard.

How many prospects per team?

How long should a team have to pick them up once they become available?

I assume if the player is sent back to the minors, the team owning him can send him back too. But how many times should this be allowed?

I know im probably missing some question here so pls pls offer me any advice. Like i say I may have a been a commish for many years but I always want to make the best product available & thus advice from those in the know is important!

Thx a mil
Paul
Just traded BButler, BWood & JLoney for Mark Teixeira, Ryan Theriot & Renyel Pinto in a DYNASTY LEAGUE. Big gamble I know!
powenM
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need some League start up advice.

Postby BritSox » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:44 pm

powenM wrote:Ive been a commish and player in several leagues for several years. This year though Im working on setting up a 20team dynasty league.
The problem is I want also to include farm clubs for each team & need some advice along these lines. Heres a couple questions but would also appreciate any other advice u can give me in this regard.

How many prospects per team?

How long should a team have to pick them up once they become available?

I assume if the player is sent back to the minors, the team owning him can send him back too. But how many times should this be allowed?

I know im probably missing some question here so pls pls offer me any advice. Like i say I may have a been a commish for many years but I always want to make the best product available & thus advice from those in the know is important!

Thx a mil
Paul

I don't think too many prospects is a good idea- in a league that deep, you can start getting into very deep levels of the minor leagues. I'd say 5-8 is about right, unless you have a really knowledgeable, prospect-obsessed bunch of owners.

How long? I'd say you could keep a player on the mL roster forever. Let a player go thru his entire career on your minor league roster if necessary. The next best alternative, I think, is that he must be on the major league roster at the start of the season after the one in which he uses up his rookie eligibility.

I wouldn't personally let an owner send a player on his major league roster back to the minors at all.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Re: Need some League start up advice.

Postby greenandgold » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:09 pm

BritSox wrote:The next best alternative, I think, is that he must be on the major league roster at the start of the season after the one in which he uses up his rookie eligibility.

I wouldn't personally let an owner send a player on his major league roster back to the minors at all.

;-D
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby powenM » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:47 pm

Thanks so far anyother advice would be appreciated
Just traded BButler, BWood & JLoney for Mark Teixeira, Ryan Theriot & Renyel Pinto in a DYNASTY LEAGUE. Big gamble I know!
powenM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dmendro » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:54 pm

If you want retention, limit the "dynasty" aspect to 4 or 5 keepers max out of the major league personell. I'd think most people agree that the draft is the most fun part of fantasy sports. If you want people to develope talent, let them keep some minor leaguers in addition, but make them make a choice when they lose their rookie status.

the more players move around on teams, the more fun it is for everyone involved.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby noseeum » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:56 pm

Do you have 20 very skilled owners that you know well? If you don't, the minor league aspects may be overkill for most owners.

Along the same lines, a 20 team league is going to have to field its share of mediocre major league players, and I know a lot of owners hate it when they have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for talent.

Others may like it, but it's a niche type setup to be sure.

Just playing devil's advocate to make sure you have the owners you need to make it a fun league.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BritSox » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:54 pm

dmendro wrote:If you want retention, limit the "dynasty" aspect to 4 or 5 keepers max out of the major league personell. I'd think most people agree that the draft is the most fun part of fantasy sports. If you want people to develope talent, let them keep some minor leaguers in addition, but make them make a choice when they lose their rookie status.

the more players move around on teams, the more fun it is for everyone involved.

If it's only four or five keepers, how is it in any way a dynasty league?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby powenM » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:11 pm

dmendro wrote:If you want retention, limit the "dynasty" aspect to 4 or 5 keepers max out of the major league personell. I'd think most people agree that the draft is the most fun part of fantasy sports. If you want people to develope talent, let them keep some minor leaguers in addition, but make them make a choice when they lose their rookie status.

the more players move around on teams, the more fun it is for everyone involved

Do you have 20 very skilled owners that you know well? If you don't, the minor league aspects may be overkill for most owners.

Along the same lines, a 20 team league is going to have to field its share of mediocre major league players, and I know a lot of owners hate it when they have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for talent.

Others may like it, but it's a niche type setup to be sure.

Just playing devil's advocate to make sure you have the owners you need to make it a fun league.

Some people prefer dynasty's or both.

As for skilled owners obviously it wont be perfect but i ask alot questions before allowing them in. Besides i think its also nice when u have lesser knowledgable ones(not no knowledge ofcourse) & u see them progress over the year(s)

Keep these great comments coming guys![/quote]
powenM
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers