TIME - Person of the Year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

TIME - Person of the Year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

TIME - Person of the Year

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:53 pm

Person of the Year: You
Yes, you. You control the Information Age. Welcome to your world.

...look at 2006 through a different lens and you'll see another story, one that isn't about conflict or great men. It's a story about community and collaboration on a scale never seen before. It's about the cosmic compendium of knowledge Wikipedia and the million-channel people's network YouTube and the online metropolis MySpace. It's about the many wresting power from the few and helping one another for nothing and how that will not only change the world, but also change the way the world changes.

The tool that makes this possible is the World Wide Web. Not the Web that Tim Berners-Lee hacked together (15 years ago, according to Wikipedia) as a way for scientists to share research. It's not even the overhyped dotcom Web of the late 1990s. The new Web is a very different thing. It's a tool for bringing together the small contributions of millions of people and making them matter. Silicon Valley consultants call it Web 2.0, as if it were a new version of some old software. But it's really a revolution.

Full story

Hooray for us!

I'm printing this cover for my Wall of Fame.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:36 pm

I should email my Mom. She'll be very proud. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:42 pm

I know everyone is happy except that egomaniacal Numa Numa guy who wanted the prize all to himself.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Callahan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:55 pm

Hooray for me!

[i]"I think if Norman Rockwell were alive, the guy that he would paint more than anyone else would be David Eckstein." ~McCarver[/i]
Callahan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BritSox » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:56 pm

Does this mean I get to put 'TIME Man of the year 2006' on my resume?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:03 pm

BritSox wrote:Does this mean I get to put 'TIME Man of the year 2006' on my resume?

I know I am, but because everyone else is entitled to put that down in their resumes, well then, you don't stick out from the crowd. Thus, we're all nothing special. :-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Tavish » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:26 pm

Wow, what a painfully devoid year for great people when Time can't find anyone better than me to win.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby JTWood » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:01 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
BritSox wrote:Does this mean I get to put 'TIME Man of the year 2006' on my resume?

I know I am, but because everyone else is entitled to put that down in their resumes, well then, you don't stick out from the crowd. Thus, we're all nothing special. :-D

On the other hand, if everyone else was person of the year, and you don't put it on your resume, too, what's that saying about you?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby thedude » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:04 pm

Wikipedia wrote:The [Person of the Year] title is frequently mistaken as being an honor. Many, including some members of the American media, continue to wrongly perpetuate the idea that the position of "Person of the Year" is a reward or prize, despite the magazine's frequent statements to the contrary.

Great! I just got the same award as Hitler, Ayatollah Khomeini, Joseph Stalin, and Nikita Khrushchev. Thanks Time. I feel like i am in great company. :-P ;-7
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:09 pm

thedude wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:The [Person of the Year] title is frequently mistaken as being an honor. Many, including some members of the American media, continue to wrongly perpetuate the idea that the position of "Person of the Year" is a reward or prize, despite the magazine's frequent statements to the contrary.

Great! I just got the same award as Hitler, Ayatollah Khomeini, Joseph Stalin, and Nikita Khrushchev. Thanks Time. I feel like i am in great company. :-P ;-7

the fact that it came down to amadenajad, kim jong il, and us, doesn't make me feel all that special.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to General Talk