high school basketball game brawl requires a SWAT team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

high school basketball game brawl requires a SWAT team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:30 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Yeah, high school kids, or at least spectators of high school basketball games, learned about fights from the NBA.

Well, of course, they didn't 'learn' it from the NBA, but I think it certainly doesn't discourage an outburst or tantrum. When you see the people you look up to, whether it be a kid's parents, athletes, teachers, etc., disregard rules and rationale, what are they supposed to take from that?

I agree that it doesn't "discourage" kids from an outburst, but then, I don't think that's the job of a basketball player. To say that this is because of the actions of NBA players is an extremely simplistic way to put the blame somewhere without actually trying to figure out what the real cause is.

The blame cannot be put any one area, I suppose, and, you're right, these guys are paid to play basketball, not be role models.

However, I think the effect of these players' actions, on and off the court, have on kids is understated. Whether they should or not, kids look up to celebrities, whether they be athletes, movie stars, or radio talk show hosts like yourself. I interpret this to be the poor examples, or lack thereof, in their own household.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:51 pm

I just wrote a long reply, but lost it, so I'll briefly re-cap what I said:

Basically, I think we are more in agreement here than either of us might realize. This is the key: "I interpret this to be the poor examples, or lack thereof, in their own household."

Essentially, the problem isn't the influence that NBA players (or other celebrity-types) have on the kids, the problem is that they have influence at all.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Essentially, the problem isn't the influence that NBA players (or other celebrity-types) have on the kids, the problem is that they have influence at all.

Right on. I remember looking up to athletes at times when I was a kid (my dad and I had our differences) and I recall always seeming to be disappointed in some way, shape or form. Obviously, we can't restrict their influences completely, with basically everything celebrity-related being tossed in our laps, but parents can help their kids decern (sp?) what is right and wrong so that this influence isn't devastating.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:59 pm

Carmello just gave new meaning to "Hit and Run"
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby 3 run homer » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:08 pm

I liked when he got punked and the dude was like "pull you r pants up" mello blew up too funny. ;-D
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby knapplc » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:40 pm

Melo will be spectating for the next 15 games for his little sucker punch. Way to go, CA! :-t
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:16 pm

knapplc wrote:Melo will be spectating for the next 15 games for his little sucker punch. Way to go, CA! :-t

What an idiot...leading scorer in the league. Nugs playing decent and he goes and does this.

Doesn't surprise me though as he plays for a team named after pot :-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 am

I have a great idea in regards to violence in the NBA. Let's change the mascot name for that Washington Bullets team. That name is obviously promoting violence. I bet if we change it to something fun all the violence will stop.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:46 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I have a great idea in regards to violence in the NBA. Let's change the mascot name for that Washington Bullets team. That name is obviously promoting violence. I bet if we change it to something fun all the violence will stop.

:-b

Anyone else notice this happened in Dallas? Everyone should just be happy that gunshots were not fired. :-b :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to General Talk