The official "JD Drew is already injured" thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The official "JD Drew is already injured" thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:46 am

Yoda wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Not sure if you're being facetious so pardon me if you are but I don't think he'll be around that long, power or not. Even if he only hits 20 HR again the R and RBI potential with the Sox is enticing.

I don't understand the point of this thread. It adds nothing to what we already know. Drew is injury prone. However, even after the surgery, he belted 20 HR, near .900 OPS playing in a pitcher's park with limited support.

Why is eveyrone obsessed with bashing Drew?

I'm with you here - clearly he wasn't too affected by his surgery last year, so there's no reason why it should suddenly become an issue. However, I think the reason that it could be important (i.e. the point of this thread) is that it could affect his contract with the Red Sox. (I'm sure they'll get a deal done, but it just could alter the terms of it a bit.)
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chicago RedSox » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:17 pm

So did the redsox set up the Drew deal to grease the wheels for the Matsuzaka deal, knowing that the physical would allow them to renegotiate the contract AFTER DMat signed?

I think they did the ole magicians trick where they got Boras looking at one hand while they pickpocketed him with the other.
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Could this really happen?

Postby Miami in Ohio? » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:04 am

The Red Sox have questions about the condition of J.D. Drew's surgically repaired right shoulder.

The only reason the Red Sox gave Drew such a large contract was to pad the pockets of Boras so the Matsuzaka deal would be in favor of the Red Sox.

Could the Red Sox get out of the Drew deal and have a steal with Matsuzaka. I like this a lot ;-D
Miami in Ohio?
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Re: Could this really happen?

Postby Half Massed » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:29 am

Miami in Ohio? wrote:The only reason the Red Sox gave Drew such a large contract was to pad the pockets of Boras so the Matsuzaka deal would be in favor of the Red Sox.

Where'd you hear that?

Miami in Ohio wrote:Could the Red Sox get out of the Drew deal and have a steal with Matsuzaka. I like this a lot ;-D

What I've seen on BP, the Red Sox would likely restructure the deal with a limited escape clause rather than scratch it altogether. So I guess the Red Sox could back out, but it doesn't look like they want to
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Miami in Ohio? » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:36 am

Half Massed wrote:
Miami in Ohio? wrote:The only reason the Red Sox gave Drew such a large contract was to pad the pockets of Boras so the Matsuzaka deal would be in favor of the Red Sox.

Where'd you hear that?

Miami in Ohio wrote:Could the Red Sox get out of the Drew deal and have a steal with Matsuzaka. I like this a lot ;-D

What I've seen on BP, the Red Sox would likely restructure the deal with a limited escape clause rather than scratch it altogether. So I guess the Red Sox could back out, but it doesn't look like they want to

Advice for Matsuzaka from Boston Globe - Tell J.D. Drew he's got to buy you dinner at least once every road trip. There's a chance he's only here because the Sox wanted to soften up your agent for your negotiations.
Miami in Ohio?
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Pokey » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:14 am

Miami in Ohio? wrote:
Half Massed wrote:

Where'd you hear that?

That was a joke.

It's no secret that Theo has always coveted Drew.
Advice for Matsuzaka from Boston Globe - Tell J.D. Drew he's got to buy you dinner at least once every road trip. There's a chance he's only here because the Sox wanted to soften up your agent for your negotiations.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers